Nvidia RTX 4080 prices at Micro Center show custom cards reaching $1,599

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: We're just five days away from the launch of the next Nvidia Lovelace entry, the RTX 4080. The card has an MSRP of $1,199, and now we're seeing if AIB partners are sticking close to this recommended price. Some of them are, but only for non-overclocked models; OC cards are priced as high as $1,549, which is almost the same MSRP as the RTX 4090.

With the RTX 4080 16B—now the only version of that card—landing on November 16, PC hardware retailer Micro Center is currently showing 13 models as "coming soon." Asus, PNY, Zotac, Gigabyte, and MSI cards are all listed with prices ranging from $1,199 up to $1,549.

The four cards priced at Nvidia's MSRP are the PNY XLR8 Verto, Asus TUF, Zotac Trinity, and Gigabyte Eagle. Moving up the price range will get you the overclocked/gaming models, though it should be noted that some are hundreds of dollars more expensive for their small overclocks.

The most expensive RTX 4080 Micro Center lists is the triple-fan Asus' ROG Strix for $1,549. For comparison, the more powerful RTX 4090 has an MSRP of $1,599. Check out all the prices in the screenshot below.

If you think the prices for the RTX 4080 are too high, spare a thought for those in Europe. The most expensive pre-listed model seen in the UK recently was $1,757. In Finland, it was as high as $1,948—though the countries have high tax rates.

As for what happened to the other RTX 4080, the 12GB version, rumors now claim Nvidia has rebranded the card as the RTX 4070 Ti, which is what many expected. A leaker earlier this week said it would release in January. Another tipster specified the date as January 5, supposedly two days after Nvidia officially unveils the card. The specs are expected to remain unchanged, but it'll be surprising if team green doesn't drop the $899 price, especially in light of AMD announcing the Radeon RX 7900 XTX and XT.

h/t: VideoCardz

Permalink to story.

Coming from Europe here - 4090s are listing from roughly €2200, albeit out of stock in most outlets. If the 4080 prices reported here are true, the 4080 prices are far too close to that to be relevent, and miles off the price demographic targeted in previous gens. It's unclear how Nivida are positioning this, unless their objective is purely to clear ampere stocks. But capable second hand 3070s are now widely available for sub €450. This is all before we even think about Radeon 7000.

It's like Nvidia aren't giving me any compelling reason to go to a shop to buy their stuff at all.

It would appear that nVidia has chosen to ignore the RX 7900 XTX. I can't say that this is a surprise because a lot of the people willing to spend over $1,000 on a card for gaming are only willing to do so because they were nVidia fanboys before the fact and nVidia led them up to this price point. Of course, professionals that use CUDA would be only interested in the RTX 4090 and for them, it makes them money so no matter how much it costs, it eventually pays for itself.

Although sometimes I wonder because if I wanted a CUDA card for professional workstation use, I'd want Quadro not GeForce.

It will be very interesting if the 7900xtx is faster than this 4080. Ofc we have to exclude ray tracing, in that area AMD is still behind at least 1 gen

Honestly, anyone that cares about some extra reflections that don't make or break the game, is sad. No one should take RT into consideration as a buying point from either company. If you enjoy it, that's great, but any game can easily be played on high/max settings with a top end card with very good fps and the game looks great. RT is mostly just a gimmick and adds very little value to games.

I hope the 7900XT and XTX put Nvidia's 4080 and soon to be 4070Ti to shame.

Seems like Nvidia is really trying to clean out their backlog of 3000 series cards. Good short turn move but at the cost of hanging out OEM's to dry and pissing them off even more as NV controls everything, including prices.

It will be very interesting if the 7900xtx is faster than this 4080. Ofc we have to exclude ray tracing, in that area AMD is still behind at least 1 gen
That's true but it's not that big of a deal IMO. People who are obsessed with RT were perfectly satisfied with their RTX 30-series cards and from what I understand, that's the performance level that the RX 7000-series has. If they were satisfied, then someone upgrading to an RX 7000 card would most likely also be satisfied. Personally I care most about rasterisation performance because that's universal performance across ALL games, not just the ones that nVidia was involved with.
Coming from Europe here - 4090s are listing from roughly €2200, albeit out of stock in most outlets. If the 4080 prices reported here are true, the 4080 prices are far too close to that to be relevent, and miles off the price demographic targeted in previous gens.
The thing is that nVidia has conditioned their fanboys to crave only the "latest and greatest" cards and to also be willing to pay ANY price to get them. I honestly believe that Jensen's probably thinking "I wonder just how much can we soak these suckers for...heheheh"

It's unclear how Nivida are positioning this, unless their objective is purely to clear ampere stocks. But capable second hand 3070s are now widely available for sub €450. This is all before we even think about Radeon 7000.
Well that's a possibility but nVidia has kinda shot themselves in the foot because they've conditioned their fanboys to crave only the "latest and greatest" cards and to also be willing to pay ANY price to get them. That's not conducive to having them interested in last-gen cards and people who aren't willing to pay insane prices are generally not nVidia fanboys and would be far more tempted by the price:performance ratio of the Radeons.

Then there's also the fact that if you're considering the prices of used RTX 30 cards, then the prices of both new and used RX 6000s cannot be ignored either. The situation gets even worse for the RTX 4080 because even used, the nVidia cards are way overpriced compared to their Radeon counterparts. There's a used RX 6800 on ebay for the equivalent of €385 which is a way better deal than an RTX 3070 for around €450.
MSI AMD RADEON RX 6800 GAMING X TRIO 16GB: CA$526.83 / €384.84
It's like Nvidia aren't giving me any compelling reason to go to a shop to buy their stuff at all.
Well, that's not exactly new. The last nVidia card I felt compelled to buy was a Palit GeForce 8500 GT Super+ and that's only because I didn't realise at the time that the card wasn't remotely powerful enough to use the 1GB of DDR3 VRAM it had.

After that I bought an HD 4870 and have never looked back. Not only was I disgusted with what I'd learnt about the company when I worked at Tiger Direct but at price points that were even remotely reasonable, ATi's performance had nVidia badly beat. To this day, nothing has changed in that regard. :laughing:
Useless Nvidia generation. With these prices the whole thing of buying one of their cards is nonsensical. Shame on greedy Huang.
Heh, I've considered GeForce cards nonsensical for a looooong time but there are enough fools to keep Jensen trying to get more and more. Remember how expensive the RTX 2080 Ti got to before the RTX 3070 came out at like half the price? People still bought them despite warnings that the RTX 30-series prices would make them regret it.
Naaa baby Naaa ...... my charge card will slap it away .... only for the wealthy and/or foolish with their money...
MV5BNTM3ODE2NjkzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg5MDIzMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Stock is going to be low and so that is going to push these AIBs to sell cards for more. You won't be able to get a $1600 4090, so here's a $1600 4080 OC Ultra mega suck'n down the juice for an extra 5% edition. Sadly people will buy these, they'll sell out. Is the 4080 an impressive leap from the 3080, it sounds like it is, better than I anticipated from the initial bench leaks. But it's not even close to worth the $500 markup, but AIBs are going to be asking for a full $900 mark up. Crazy.

Honestly, anyone that cares about some extra reflections that don't make or break the game, is sad. No one should take RT into consideration as a buying point from either company. If you enjoy it, that's great, but any game can easily be played on high/max settings with a top end card with very good fps and the game looks great. RT is mostly just a gimmick and adds very little value to games.

I hope the 7900XT and XTX put Nvidia's 4080 and soon to be 4070Ti to shame.
That's like saying a dozen or so more FPS won't make a difference once you go over 100-120 fps, so why pay even $1000 for a 7900? Ray Tracing can make a difference and will in future games when we have the horsepower to include it. You could consider that "future proofing" if gaming is your main application for the GPU.

However, one could also say that "eye candy" is not what makes a game fun to play. You can have the most beautiful game, visually speaking, and it could be boring AF. AMD looks like a hero because they are cheaper than Nvidia, but the reality is they are still $1000 cards and that is ridiculous. If, and it's a big if, Nvidia prices the 4070 Ti at the right price, it could sell well even if it doesn't perform like a 7900XT. At some point people will say, I have a budget of $X and the 4070 is the most I can get and stay under my budget. If Nvidia drops that card to sub-$800 it could be attractive to some people.

It's the survival of market manipulators out there! Crazy to think that I bought the Zotac 4090 for $1519 at microcenter with 5% off with membership but ended changing it the Suprim x hybrid for $7910 because the later fit in my itx case perfectly.
With these shortages Gainward/Palit can rebrand their 4090s with Founders Edition like performance at $2105 MSRP .
https://videocardz.com/?post_type=newz&p=142684

From the numbers they both gave us it looks like even the 7900xt might outperform the 4080 in rasterization. If 7900xt can come close to the 4080 in rt than Nvidia would have no choice but to lower the price but probably only after Ampere stock dries up.
While everyone is excited about 7900xtx coming soon, If AMD can't supply the demand we will be in the same predicament.

Last edited:
Stock is going to be low and so that is going to push these AIBs to sell cards for more. You won't be able to get a $1600 4090, so here's a $1600 4080 OC Ultra mega suck'n down the juice for an extra 5% edition. Sadly people will buy these, they'll sell out. Is the 4080 an impressive leap from the 3080, it sounds like it is, better than I anticipated from the initial bench leaks. But it's not even close to worth the $500 markup, but AIBs are going to be asking for a full $900 mark up. Crazy.
If they know that there are enough who are willing to pay (and I think that there are), they're not going to care one way or the other.

That's like saying a dozen or so more FPS won't make a difference once you go over 100-120 fps, so why pay even $1000 for a 7900? Ray Tracing can make a difference and will in future games when we have the horsepower to include it. You could consider that "future proofing" if gaming is your main application for the GPU.

However, one could also say that "eye candy" is not what makes a game fun to play. You can have the most beautiful game, visually speaking, and it could be boring AF. AMD looks like a hero because they are cheaper than Nvidia, but the reality is they are still $1000 cards and that is ridiculous. If, and it's a big if, Nvidia prices the 4070 Ti at the right price, it could sell well even if it doesn't perform like a 7900XT. At some point people will say, I have a budget of $X and the 4070 is the most I can get and stay under my budget. If Nvidia drops that card to sub-$800 it could be attractive to some people.
You're not future proofing because that's impossible. All you can do is be one of those people always spends tons of money on the top-end GPUs that come out because you want all that eye candy and power for RT.

If you think slightly improved reflections are what make a game so much better, then by all means continue to buy into this crap right now, but you have no right to complain about the pricing.

No one makes anyone pay these prices, even if AMD is $1000 for their top-tier card(s). That's on the consumer. Don't like the price, don't pay it. Yes, AMD does look better with a more reasonable priced card so far, but you're right that it is priced ridiculously. I liked the days that a top-tier card was at that $600-700 price rage while all cards under it were reasonably priced and within the reach of more people.

Only the fools would think a sub $800 xx70Ti model is a good deal. Even at $750 it's still $150 over what the last gen 3070Ti that was $600. If Nvidia prices the 4070Ti (rebranded 4080 12GB that was touted to go for $900) too low, anyone with a brain will know how much Nvidia is trying to take everyone over the barrel for on their heavily priced crap and they will hopefully not buy their crap.

We know it won't happen, most consumers are stupid. They'll continue to complain about the pricing, yet they'll still continue to buy the overpriced stuff.

OC cards are priced as high as $1,549,
For an almighty and powerful and magical Nvidia GPU? thats a bargain, where do I sign for 10? (nvidia fanboi in line at MC).
Shame on greedy Huang.
Nah, he has a premium status, he cannot dare infuriate his rabid followers by lowering the prices, they will perceive their magical GPUs as inferior.
Ofc we have to exclude ray tracing, in that area AMD is still behind at least 1 gen
Please stop propagating the useless gimmick called RT.

It would appear that nVidia has chosen to ignore the RX 7900 XTX.
The worse part is that the rabid fanbois will do the same, keep giving nvidia extortion money and the monopoly will simply increase.
Of course, professionals that use CUDA would be only interested in the RTX 4090 and for them, it makes them money so no matter how much it costs, it eventually pays for itself.

Although sometimes I wonder because if I wanted a CUDA card for professional workstation use, I'd want Quadro not GeForce.
You responded to your own point, they buy Quadros, no GeForce. And mind you, the reason they HAVE to do this is because their beloved nvidia will force this via drivers.

Amen. I honestly dont understand the reason for this damn hype and devotion to this gimmick. I truly dont get it.

We know it won't happen, most consumers are stupid.
Worse, they will continue to twist their words and thoughts until they can justify their own delusions.
I mean, how the heck can anyone rationalize buying a GPU today as future proof for a tech gimmick that even today is barely usable without resorting to tricks (DLSS/FSR)?

You're not future proofing because that's impossible. All you can do is be one of those people always spends tons of money on the top-end GPUs that come out because you want all that eye candy and power for RT.

If you think slightly improved reflections are what make a game so much better, then by all means continue to buy into this crap right now, but you have no right to complain about the pricing.
Totally agree. RT lighting is nice but not even near worth the demand on the hardware.

No one makes anyone pay these prices, even if AMD is $1000 for their top-tier card(s). That's on the consumer. Don't like the price, don't pay it. Yes, AMD does look better with a more reasonable priced card so far, but you're right that it is priced ridiculously. I liked the days that a top-tier card was at that $600-700 price rage while all cards under it were reasonably priced and within the reach of more people.

Only the fools would think a sub $800 xx70Ti model is a good deal. Even at $750 it's still $150 over what the last gen 3070Ti that was $600. If Nvidia prices the 4070Ti (rebranded 4080 12GB that was touted to go for $900) too low, anyone with a brain will know how much Nvidia is trying to take everyone over the barrel for on their heavily priced crap and they will hopefully not buy their crap.

We know it won't happen, most consumers are stupid. They'll continue to complain about the pricing, yet they'll still continue to buy the overpriced stuff.
The 3070ti is artificially limited by its 8gb of memory.. the same amount the old radeon r9 390x had. I guess "12" are the new "8".

Who remembers the PhysX accelerator, it was the same BS in his days as RT now . And was bought by NV after a while.

ef157500726d0d6821db144034f9f7be-1200-80.jpg

If they made a RT card separate from GPU I wonder how many would buy it then?

If they made a RT card separate from GPU I wonder how many would buy it then?
There's a good reason as to why all units dedicated to ray tracing algorithms (ray-triangle intersection calculations, BVH traversal acceleration) are located within the primary 'shader' sections of the GPU -- I.e. AMD's Compute Units, Intel's Render Slice, Nvidia's Streaming Multiprocessor. They need direct access to the fastest cache within the GPU and that's located with the shader units. Putting all that on a separate die would significantly lower RT performance; putting it on a separate card would kill it all together.

Back