Nvidia RTX A4000 Review: GPU for Pros, Tested for Gaming

The interesting part is the pricing: only reason we're talking about the card is because people must have noticed that a 3060ti and this card? Not that much difference in pricing actually.

In fact since we know it's more costly to include things like ECC RAM chips on these cards I think that GPUs have actually surpassed workstation/enterprise products.

In case Eth doesn't catastrophically crashes or changes difficulty and again, I maintain that it doesn't looks like it will this time around it looks like this is the new normal, then it follows that the current pricing for a 360ti product is 1000 so that's the new normal. Since it's probably going to be 2 full years if not 3 for GPUs to "recover" for this generation the Quadro cards are competitive.

The worst thing about pricing now is that the 3070 at $500 was a good card even with 8GB, but its price has been RUINED by the crypto ponzi schemers. The 3070 is marginally better than the 2080Ti but at half the price if it were possible to get one at MSRP.

I would have so much respect for NVIDIA if they sold these low-end cards direct-through-mail to individual gamers who actually need them.

The worst thing about pricing now is that the 3070 at $500 was a good card even with 8GB, but its price has been RUINED by the crypto ponzi schemers. The 3070 is marginally better than the 2080Ti but at half the price if it were possible to get one at MSRP.

I would have so much respect for NVIDIA if they sold these low-end cards direct-through-mail to individual gamers who actually need them.
Yes, we know you think crypto is a scam... it isn't, but we can argue that elsewhere (I notice you have stopped replying in the other thread where your arguments have been completely obliterated).

The thing is, crypto is only a small part of the reason the cards are so expensive... the real cause is the global pandemic - and some natural disasters - that have led to huge global supply issues.

Once the global supply situation is fixed, Nvidia and AMD will be able to churn out tons of cards - miners AND gamers will be able to get them at MSRP, and life will move on...

Yes, we know you think crypto is a scam... it isn't, but we can argue that elsewhere (I notice you have stopped replying in the other thread where your arguments have been completely obliterated).

The thing is, crypto is only a small part of the reason the cards are so expensive... the real cause is the global pandemic - and some natural disasters - that have led to huge global supply issues.

Once the global supply situation is fixed, Nvidia and AMD will be able to churn out tons of cards - miners AND gamers will be able to get them at MSRP, and life will move on...
Alas until the RTX 4000 drops next fall and the whole cycle starts again :-x

That since slot blower is cute though. Reminds me of the old GT 8800..

It's cheaper where I live than the 3070 so it's not actually a bad buy :) (albeit there are much fewer in stock, but that's to be expected for a workstation class GPU)

Many years ago, I bought a pro graphics card, and I was warned that its performance would not be good for gaming. My experience proved that point. I will never again pay as much as I did for that card, for any card.

If it were not for the pricing issues, I am willing to bet that this card would be a card that no one would consider for gaming unless, they were doing some professional work and wanted to game as well.

To me, as I would only use this card for gaming, its a non-starter. The one thing that makes pro cards better is that AMD/nVidia give more love to driver maintenance. But good luck getting them to correct a bug that only appears in games.

When I bought my GTX 1060 6GB on a secondhand market after the first cryptocrash in April 2018 to replace my dead GTX 670 2GB, I had no idea that I will get stuck with it for more than 3 years with no real chance to get an adequate replacemet at a reasonable pricetag (something like RTX 3060 to 3070).

Note that the A4000 is not hash rate limited - unlike the 3070Ti and current 3070 models. The professional cards are also very energy efficient.
And yet the A4000 is available and in stock.

Does this change the preconceived notions of anyone intent on blaming GPU shortages on crypto miners?
Nah, I didn't think so.

They did literally that on their website. But they sold out in seconds. In the U.K. they kept coming back into stock and then would go again.

Note that the A4000 is not hash rate limited - unlike the 3070Ti and current 3070 models. The professional cards are also very energy efficient.
And yet the A4000 is available and in stock.

Does this change the preconceived notions of anyone intent on blaming GPU shortages on crypto miners?
Nah, I didn't think so.
Yeah I’m wondering if it’s miners really driving this. Mining difficulty and profitability isn’t that appealing for GPU mining any longer. China is cracking down hard.

Clearly there is a miner demand but at the same time the demand from gamers has exploded. Games are netting more launch day profits than ever before despite this GPU shortage as well.

One advantage the A4000 has is the single slot width. This means it's a viable card for an SFF/ITX build that's used primarily as a Media Unit but has sufficient performance to handle gaming at medium/high settings. If using a Plex Server with Media Transcoding, then it's a better option then a gaming card due to the improved V-Enc support and such.

I‘m still a bit confused how we got from

While AMD would like to tell you the 6600 XT is a 1080p gaming graphics card, the fact is many of you will want to use a ~$400 graphics card at 1440p and frankly that’s not asking much.

to

That’s actually not bad given how much more efficient the A4000 is and obviously Radeon 6700 XT levels of performance is very good, but again it does come back to the price. But with pricing and availability being awful for all parts right now, I can see how the A4000 might make sense for some of you.

The above is for a $1,000 MSRP card for 1440p use.

Yes, nVidia does not sell / market the A4000 as a gaming card, so my issue is not with them but with this article‘s reasoning.

That said, the card‘s efficiency is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Lions don't argue with sheep.
I did go back and look at those weak pre-arguments.
Wasn't impressed.
"I let you win, totally!!!!"
No: that's code for: if not for the censors, I'd tell you exactly what I want to tell you...but I can't so I have no choice but not to.

Because I WOULD.
I would TOTALLY win the argument except for the censors! Damn by ability to make arguments! Did I mention my two 3090s means I'm better then you!

I've got three of these sitting inside of soon to be deployed graphics servers.

Back