Nvidia rumored to be re-launching the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: What is a company to do when there’s a shortage of its latest products? In the case of Nvidia, the answer could be to re-introduce old graphics cards. New rumors claim that team green is set to revive its Turing architecture with the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super re-release.

French site Overclocking.com (via Videocardz) writes that new stock of the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super, released in January 2019 and July 2019, respectively, have already been sent out to board partners and system builders.

At its recent CES keynote, Nvidia said the xx60 series of cards has always been very popular with gamers; the GTX 1060 has long been the number one GPU amongst Steam survey participants, while the RTX 2060 sits in third place.

Some might wonder if re-releasing the cards so close to next month’s RTX 3060 launch is a good idea. The reality is that it could all depend on their price. The next Ampere product features 12GB of VRAM and 3,584 CUDA cores for $329. But Nvidia’s graph shows the RTX 2060 isn’t that far behind its successor when it comes to raster-only gaming, with both cards leaving the GTX 1060 in the dust.

The RTX 2060 launched for $349, which is $20 more than the RTX 3060, while the Super version was $399—the same price as the RTX 3060 Ti. Overclocking.com claims the re-released RTX 2060 will be priced at 300 Euros (around $363), with the Super coming in at 400 Euros ($485). For comparison, the RTX 3060 will retail at 339 Euros in France.

It’s hard to imagine an RTX 2060 Super being popular if it costs the same as the RTX 3060 Ti. Hopefully, Nvidia will re-release both Turing cards at competitive prices; the RTX 2060 was already reduced to $299 last year, so knocking another $50 or even $100 off that amount would make it an appealing prospect.

This is still all rumor, but if it is true, gamers looking to upgrade from the GTX 1060, for example, will likely appreciate a newly reduced RTX 2060 or RTX 2060 Super, especially as Ampere remains difficult to find.

Permalink to story.

An RTX 2060 at < 200 would be nice. Might as well make it a Super since I doubt there is a noticeable cost difference between super and non-super for the addtl. 2 GB.

If we see them for higher prices, then that would be a bad sign.

So long as they cost less than the 3060.

But why would you want to go backwards?

The 3000 series is more efficient and genuinely better.

I thought the 30x0 series were hard to find due to manufacturing delays. Were these 2060 chips just sitting in the back room collecting dust, or did they jump ahead in the manufacturing line?

I thought the 30x0 series were hard to find due to manufacturing delays. Were these 2060 chips just sitting in the back room collecting dust, or did they jump ahead in the manufacturing line?
Turing chips are made on TSMC 12nm, so they can produce them without affecting Ampere. That‘s the advantage of having a newer architecture on an older node.

They will cost more than the 3060 because you wont be able to buy a 3060. All you will be able to buy is Turing.

This just makes me smh. The world is turning to shite before our eyes.

Turing chips are made on TSMC 12nm, so they can produce them without affecting Ampere. That‘s the advantage of having a newer architecture on an older node (as compared to what AMD can produce on an older node).

So long as they cost less than the 3060.

But why would you want to go backwards?

The 3000 series is more efficient and genuinely better.

That‘s the big question: If RTX 3060 and lower end SKU are widely available at msrp, not many would buy the 2060 above a certain price point and that would have to be in the $200 area. If they are not otoh...there isn‘t much to chose from GPU wise right now in the lower price range.

With a limited new supply they can easily raise prices 20-30%, pull a nice profit and clear out inventory. This may become a trend.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prices were around the $300 & $350 range.

Right now you can buy nearly 6 year old 980Ti cards off ebay around the $150-300 range (clearly depending on the make/model). These cards are almost 6 years old and can still fetch a good chunk of change on the second hand market....

I wouldn't be surprised if the prices were around the $300 & $350 range.

Right now you can buy nearly 6 year old 980Ti cards off ebay around the $150-300 range (clearly depending on the make/model). These cards are almost 6 years old and can still fetch a good chunk of change on the second hand market....

Really - off to dump a 980 then...

350 minimum since current stock of 2060's still fetch that much and more. This hobby is getting more expensive and there's no going backwards. 3060 will easily fetch 450+ and beyond 600 after the scalpers have cleared stock of the 1st shipments. MSRP is meaningless at this point.

I'm fine with my 1060 and im willing to wait till the prices of new low/middle-range cards drop to 200$~ (as it was for my 1060). If others want to buy newer ones at high prices, your business... your money.

Nice! So how long till I can buy a NEW aka OLD Geforce 3 ti200? Will it come with a 1990's FRIENDS Sweater or a 1990's icon movie with Matthew Lillard????

GPU demand is very elastic. This phase will pass and the market will eventually correct itself. Will take a while though. When it does, Nvidia and AMD will have to compete with a glut of second hand miner's cards being dumped back on the market. I think they're well aware of this.

GPU demand is very elastic. This phase will pass and the market will eventually correct itself. Will take a while though. When it does, Nvidia and AMD will have to compete with a glut of second hand miner's cards being dumped back on the market. I think they're well aware of this.

Didn't last time the Mining boom ended rather abruptly, the card markers got stuck with rather large inventory of mining cards they had to convert back to normal in order to sell them?

Another new thing also, is that Intel is due to enter the market soon (mid year), which should be interesting.

Back