Nvidia shares that 144Hz 4K UHD monitors with G-Sync and HDR will launch later this month

Greg S

Variable refresh rate monitors with high refresh rates are still proliferating throughout the market, but 4K UHD monitors with low latency and quick refresh rates have been notably absent. Following a meeting with Product Management Lead for Nvidia G-Sync, there has been confirmation that 4K 144Hz G-Sync-enabled monitors with HDR will be launching within the next few weeks.

Going back to CES 2017, Nvidia brought along some 4K 144Hz HDR G-Sync displays. Acer and Asus were originally supposed to launch their branded monitors shortly after during the second quarter of 2017.

An unspecified production problem has lead to the lengthy delay. It is likely that some important step in the manufacturing process had to be re-engineered to be able to turn out a high volume of quality displays.

None of Nvidia's partners have been willing to confirm pricing for their upcoming premium monitors. However, Nvidia's Product Management Lead Vijay Sharma did comment that getting 4K 144Hz with G-Sync and HDR will "certainly be over $1000."

Asus will be launching the PG27UQ while Acer has named their 4K 144Hz G-Sync monitor the X27.

One positive note is that Nvidia is requiring all partners using the term HDR to ensure their monitor can reach a peak brightness of 1000 nits. Even though some products carry the HDR moniker, that does not guarantee that the display is capable of providing a proper HDR experience if the variance in image characteristics is not easily seen.

Finally, Nvidia has also mentioned that their Big Format Gaming Displays (BFGDs) are still on track to ship by the end of this year. No information beyond that was given, but it would be logical to assume that the green team will do everything in their power to ensure that BFGDs are available before the winter holiday shopping season.

Permalink to story.

"certainly be over $1000."

This is called humor. I mean, that "1" in the price is really funny.

Too rich for my blood. I sprung for some 400 dollar 4k monitors from dell and I am plenty happy with them. Dell HDR may not be true HDR but it looks pretty fantastic to an average PS4 Pro gamer like me. GOW on 4k HDR, looks great. I haven't tried any PC games in 4K yet mostly because I just got my new card.

I know of one person who might buy one of them (unless I decide to go full time PC via the tv....which is a strong possibility, If I can get rid of the computer desk and upgrade couch with reticulating coffee table in front of it.....I get a LOT of room back in my studio)........ PC'ing from the soon to be purchased 65' Q9F should be pretty damn good......

And here I am still contemplating which to get between a 27" high refresh 1080p or 1440p monitor.
1440p hands down, If you can, go for a Freesync / G-sync model, ignore what people say on Techspot as well. I don't think the guys who claim "just getting a higher refresh rate screen eliminates tearing" have actually ever used high refresh rate screens with the refresh rate actually setup properly in windows.

Since those people are likely to read this comment, I'll break it down.
Screen refreshing at 144 times a second, GPU outputting between 78-96 frame per second. There is a high chance of tearing as they are not synced, One is updating quicker than the other with no timing at all, I experienced really bad Tearing on my 144Hz Ben-Q monitor with a GTX 780 and BF4 for example.

Once you get a 144Hz 1440p G-Sync / freesync monitor, it makes a world of difference as there really isn't any tearing.

My old setup was with a BenQ XL2720Z, my new setup is a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and it is the difference between smooth but still tearing when the framerate goes mad, to pure, smoothness of the Asus.

1440p hands down, If you can, go for a Freesync / G-sync model, ignore what people say on Techspot as well. I don't think the guys who claim "just getting a higher refresh rate screen eliminates tearing" have actually ever used high refresh rate screens with the refresh rate actually setup properly in windows.

Since those people are likely to read this comment, I'll break it down.
Screen refreshing at 144 times a second, GPU outputting between 78-96 frame per second. There is a high chance of tearing as they are not synced, One is updating quicker than the other with no timing at all, I experienced really bad Tearing on my 144Hz Ben-Q monitor with a GTX 780 and BF4 for example.

Once you get a 144Hz 1440p G-Sync / freesync monitor, it makes a world of difference as there really isn't any tearing.

My old setup was with a BenQ XL2720Z, my new setup is a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and it is the difference between smooth but still tearing when the framerate goes mad, to pure, smoothness of the Asus.

I'm currently using an Asus VG248QE and would love to experience high refresh VA or IPS panels for a change. My only concern with 1440p is the lack of horse power to drive demanding games natively and having to downscale to 1080p. I only got my GTX 1070 last year and won't really be replacing it until it dies like the R9 280x before it.

I'm currently using an Asus VG248QE and would love to experience high refresh VA or IPS panels for a change. My only concern with 1440p is the lack of horse power to drive demanding games natively and having to downscale to 1080p. I only got my GTX 1070 last year and won't really be replacing it until it dies like the R9 280x before it.
I'm using a GTX 980Ti and don't have any issues, G-Sync is particularly useful for this as the framerate can happily be bouncing around 50-80fps and it's still as smooth as a light saber cutting through butter. I'm also not using a normal setup and not getting the most out of my card (using an Alienware laptop with the Graphics Amplifier box) So you'd probably get even better results than me, and I haven't come across a game I can't just max-out at 1440p, sure, there's the odd really un-optimized game I have drop the AA from 8x to 4x but it makes less of a difference with the higher rez anyway so it's a worthy trade-off.

Trust me these will be sold out when released It is a true high refresh HDR monitor which nobody sells, they are also releasing a 1440p HDR version I know I will buy one when it arrives.

For their own sake, I hope they don't make a surplus of these. At over 1k$ they won't be selling many of them.

Dell made lots of 30" 2560x1600 monitors.sold them for over $2000.00 ,and sold lots of them,just because you won't buy one doesn't mean they won't sell. I bought one of those pricey Dells and still love it today..it will be a very nice display that I upgrade to.

Back