Nvidia teases ray tracing-focused GeForce 'RTX' 2080 in easter egg-filled video

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: Nvidia has put an end to the rumors surrounding its upcoming gaming GPU by releasing a video filled to the brim with clever hints, which essentially confirm the device's existence and clarify its purpose. From what we can gather, the video card -- likely dubbed the GeForce "RTX" 2080 -- will be focused on ray tracing technology.

Rumors surrounding Nvidia's upcoming 2000-series GPUs have been surfacing all over the internet as of late, but it's tough to separate true leaks from mere hoaxes.

One thing seems certain, though - Nvidia is going to show off something big at Gamescom in Germany this month. Now, courtesy of a number of easter eggs tucked into an official teaser video, we have a much better idea of what that might be.

In the video (which you can watch below), Nvidia shows off what is clearly a new video card, but its hard to make out details due to clever camera angles. However, you can clearly see a new backplate with intricate new details.

As previously stated, the teaser contains quite a few easter eggs, mostly in the form of chat messages in gaming clients.

TechRadar compiled a list of these hints (via Reddit), and all signs point towards a gaming-oriented GPU likely called the GeForce "RTX" 2080.

Among other things, these hints include text and usernames like Not_11, Eight-Tee, and RoyTeX. Additionally, the video seems to contain GPS coordinates that lead directly to the location of Nvidia's GeForce Gaming Celebration, which will be held during Gamescom.

Even if these hints didn't exist, Nvidia's reveal of a consumer-grade ray tracing GPU seems inevitable - the company already officially showed off workstation-class GPUs with real-time ray tracing capabilities on Monday.

Permalink to story.

F-Off with the teaser about a video card, just release the damn thing already, we all know you've been holding out for at least 6 months...

Not really excited TBH. Same pattern since the 900 series. 2080 is going to be around 1080 Ti level. I've already got a 1080 Ti so it looks like I'll be waiting a long time for the 2080 Ti.

2x 2080 Ti paired with NVLink. That's the only real upgrade worth doing for the next 5 years, provided NVLink delivers what has been advertised.

F-Off with the teaser about a video card, just release the damn thing already, we all know you've been holding out for at least 6 months...

Not really excited TBH. Same pattern since the 900 series. 2080 is going to be around 1080 Ti level. I've already got a 1080 Ti so it looks like I'll be waiting a long time for the 2080 Ti.
Benchmark information could suggest otherwise - I have a 1080 Ti myself, but certain rumors have me excited nonetheless.

Guess we'll find out next week, though.

I have a 1070 n im alrdy excited. If ppl have a 1080 or TI edition no real reason to upgrade but there are tons of reasons to upgrade if your a hardcore gamer or just using a old video card.
We will own know soon enough if the cards will deliver, I think they will. It may not be the big jump like going from a 9 series to a 10 series but then again ppl with 980s n TI editions didnt jump onboard tight away either.

I hope I'm right about this, but the 6 month slip, whether intentional or not, by Nvidia to release the 20xx series indicates a shorter gap between the 2080 and 2080 ti, and consecutively the 30xx series.

If I'm wrong, then these September releases will be the new annual tradition.

If I'm really off the mark here, the next 30xx series will be released in another 18 months and we'll be back to the normal March-April release cycle in 2020! Yikes.

Back