Nvidia teases RTX 3090 Ti flagship consumer GPU

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Nvidia as anticipated at CES 2022 teased the RTX 3090 Ti, a “monster GPU” that’ll sit atop its flagship consumer graphics card line when it becomes available to purchase. Key details are still MIA, but here's what we know at this hour.

Nvidia’s latest and greatest will ship with 24GB of GDDR6X memory running at 21Gb/s, up from 19.5Gb/s on the 3090. SVP Jeff Fisher said the card will afford 40 shader teraflops, 78 RT teraflops and 320 tensor teraflops of performance. For comparison, the standard RTX 3090 delivers 36 shader teraflops, 69 RT teraflops and 285 tensor teraflops.

Unfortunately, that’s all Nvidia was willing to share during its keynote as Fisher invited interested parties to keep their eyes peeled for additional details later this month. With any luck, this will translate to a late January or early February launch.

As Nvidia’s top-of-the-line consumer GPU, one thing will be a certainty: it won’t come cheap. The GeForce RTX 3090 carries an MSRP of $1,500, but of course that’s assuming one could actually find the card at retail. About the only way to nab one currently is via a third-party marketplace like eBay, where the average price in December was nearly $2,900.

You’ll also no doubt need to pair the RTX 3090 Ti with a beefy power supply. Again, specs weren't discussed, but Nvidia recommends at least a 750 watt power supply for use with the 3070 Ti, 3080, 3080 Ti and 3090.

Permalink to story.

I no longer give a rats backside since I can't afford the damn things any more and when NVidia and AMD realize their mistakes about this pricing B.S. maybe they will put the prices down where they belong! I'll give em 700 for a 3080 at this time if they want to sell me one or I can just go along with the 1060 I have already. for another 2 years... Doubtful that anyone from those two companies is reading this stuff though....

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 "Tie" Jensen ePeen Scalper Edition - Nuclear Power Consumption Warning Labeled - certified, cooked and approved in JH's kitchen.

Disclaimer: only for fools with more money than sense, v.2.0.

Agree whole-heartedly with all of the above comments. At this point JH could create a nuclear-powered behemoth that made “reality” look like Mindcraft. It wouldn’t matter for two reasons: I can’t afford it and I can’t obtain it. ‘Nuff said.

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 "Tie" Jensen ePeen Scalper Edition - Nuclear Power Consumption Warning Labeled - certified, cooked and approved in JH's kitchen.

Disclaimer: only for fools with more money than sense, v.2.0.

Read: for people with more money than other people with less money.

I no longer give a rats backside since I can't afford the damn things any more and when NVidia and AMD realize their mistakes about this pricing B.S. maybe they will put the prices down where they belong! I'll give em 700 for a 3080 at this time if they want to sell me one or I can just go along with the 1060 I have already. for another 2 years... Doubtful that anyone from those two companies is reading this stuff though....
Ok, and what is their incentive to do as you ask? Right now both nVidia and AMD are trying to push out as many cards as they can because they're selling faster than they can make them. No company in their right mind would lower prices when demand outstrips supply. That's just basic economics. On the other hand, as long as people keep paying these ridiculous scalper prices nothing will change in the near future as far as price gouging goes.

Yea, I bought a 3090 last year because I was able to snag a Founder's Edition at MSRP, which seems like steal in today's market.

I see now that this is just a really large power hungry overpriced garbage. It's real nice and performant garbage, but I don't know how reviewers glorified this chip so much. I guess it was the 20 series was worse garbage and this was an improvement? The 10 series was the last great upgrade for the money that we got.

Now we are just getting hosed for money and you know stock for the 3050 will be few and far between when they can farm money on the 3080 ti and 3090 ti.

I don't see why I would want this verses waiting for a 4080 with equivalent performance and next gen RT at both half the wattage and half the price (even with continued mining). In a word: meh.

I don't see why I would want this verses waiting for a 4080 with equivalent performance and next gen RT at both half the wattage and half the price (even with continued mining). In a word: meh.

Because you won’t find a 4080 at launch and the MSRP will probably be $1,500. If you think the 40-series will answer your prayers you are much more optimistic than I am.

Yea, I bought a 3090 last year because I was able to snag a Founder's Edition at MSRP, which seems like steal in today's market.

I see now that this is just a really large power hungry overpriced garbage. It's real nice and performant garbage, but I don't know how reviewers glorified this chip so much.

They didn't.

Reviewers said it was crazy fast but they also said don't buy it for gaming, But PC Gamers being PC Gamers, always after that next e-peen, flex posting rush, ignored all that and went ahead and bought 3090's in droves.

Me? I just showed a little patience, well, 8mths actually, and grabbed the Golden Unicorn of cards, a 3080 FE @MSRP in August, which is the card all the tech reviewers said was actually worth the money for gaming.

I see now that this is just a really large power hungry overpriced garbage. It's real nice and performant garbage, but I don't know how reviewers glorified this chip so much. I guess it was the 20 series was worse garbage and this was an improvement? The 10 series was the last great upgrade for the money that we got.

Now we are just getting hosed for money and you know stock for the 3050 will be few and far between when they can farm money on the 3080 ti and 3090 ti.

If you were able to get a FE 3090:
#1 you shouldn't be complaining at all.
#2 if you aren't happy, you can sell it right now for probably 50% - 100% more than you paid
#3 the 3090 is the only card on the market that actually offers the uncompromising performance (especially in 4K) as well as being the one card powerful enough to be future proof through probably the next generation of 4000 cards.

As a 3090FTW3 owner - who would have preferred the FE (or Kingpin), you're very lucky.

The one complain I have about the 3090 is the amount of space it takes up. NO CARD should take up 3 slots. Any card needing 3 slots should be reduced to just 2 with an AIO attached for cooling needs.

Please Lord don't let me walk into Microcenter and see one of these on the shelf.
Perhaps you should use a mantra - for instance - "Its only a GPU". ;)
The one complain I have about the 3090 is the amount of space it takes up. NO CARD should take up 3 slots. Any card needing 3 slots should be reduced to just 2 with an AIO attached for cooling needs.
Why not mod it yourself?

:facepalm: With the crazy prices in the market now, and little to no abatement of that trend in sight, near term, I am less than enthusiastic regarding announcements along the lines of "guess what we have coming, kiddies!!!"

They didn't.

Reviewers said it was crazy fast but they also said don't buy it for gaming, But PC Gamers being PC Gamers, always after that next e-peen, flex posting rush, ignored all that and went ahead and bought 3090's in droves.

Me? I just showed a little patience, well, 8mths actually, and grabbed the Golden Unicorn of cards, a 3080 FE @MSRP in August, which is the card all the tech reviewers said was actually worth the money for gaming.
(y) (Y)Studies say that delaying gratification has its rewards. ;)

I’d like to echo the sentiments of CanAqua and say WHO CARES? You know what would have been cool? Perhaps a statement or a plan to actually get these products into the hands of gamers directly. Instead we get a bunch of laptops, a low end card, and what amounts to technical demonstration.

Am I supposed to get excited about products I cannot buy? A product I’m expected to pay some scalper 2x the price for? This CES announcement by Nvidia is tone-deaf and the fact that they are doing literally nothing to actually get these items into regular people’s hands shows they simply don’t care. At some point I hope the good will they’ve squandered on so many becomes palpable. They could create the greatest product of all time, but if I simply cannot buy it, it’s irrelevant.
Personally, I do not think that they don't care. Rather, what I think is that they see all that money they are making, transform into Gollum from LOTR, get glassy eyed, start rubbing their hands together, and start chanting "My Precious". :laughing:

They didn't.

But it's not the golden unicorn. Or maybe I'm sad cause it is perceived to be. It should have more RAM and the price is way too high even at MSRP. It seems we're paying for the absolute trash 20 series was and its ridiculous price hikes.

If you were able to get a FE 3090:
#1 you shouldn't be complaining at all.
#2 if you aren't happy, you can sell it right now for probably 50% - 100% more than you paid
#3 the 3090 is the only card on the market that actually offers the uncompromising performance (especially in 4K) as well as being the one card powerful enough to be future proof through probably the next generation of 4000 cards.

As a 3090FTW3 owner - who would have preferred the FE (or Kingpin), you're very lucky.

The 3090 is absolutely a compromised card. I had the money to afford one and I knew that prices were going to spike based on all the discussions so I bit the bullet.

It doesn't make the 3090 a good card or even the 3080 or 3070. They are all too expensive and even WERE too expensive at launch MSRP. They are big hot power hungry chips that only represented swelling of silicon based off of the abysmal price to performance of the 20 series and only made it worse.

We used to get 25-40% performance increase per generation for the SAME price. Now we expect 10-15% for an increased price and when we get over that, like in the 30 series, we have to pay even more at launch MSRP.

The issue is that at one point in time I was a nearly bankrupt gamer and I remember how much it sucked trying to afford a decent gaming PC. Now we have AMD selling a $200 GPU that is comparing vs a $200 GPU from 4 or 5 years ago and NViDIA releasing a fricking 50 series GPU for $250 (which will probably all end up having a REAL MSRP of $300-$350 (not talking about scalpers).

It's absolutely insane and we need to call it out.

Because you won’t find a 4080 at launch and the MSRP will probably be $1,500. If you think the 40-series will answer your prayers you are much more optimistic than I am.
I think you misunderstand my post and my prayers certainly don't concern GPUs.

Yes, prices likely will still be high but probably under what they are now (~1.8X MSRP rather than 2X). And I'll be getting +25% rasterization/shader power, +80% RTX from a 4080 vs my current 3080. And 10% lower power draw due to the better process.

Even if they hold at today's pricing that's a much better deal than this niche product. I don't mind paying a premium for my GPU, but at a certain point, I'd rather spend my money on either another motorcycle or making one of my current motorcycles faster. :cool:

Back