Nvidia's dual-GPU GeForce GTX 590 rumored for March 22

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With AMD's Radeon HD 6990's arrival this week, the ball is in Nvidia's court to deliver a competitive alternative. The GeForce GTX 590 was expected to appear sometime last month but obviously that didn't happen. We haven't seen any release dates from Nvidia yet, but EXPreview has reportedly heard that the company's dual-GPU offering is slated for Tuesday, March 22 -- the same day that Crysis 2 will land on North American store shelves.

Although its release date remains under wraps, some of the GTX 590's specifications have slipped out. According to a leak in January, the card will pack two GF110 graphics processor with a total of 1024 CUDA cores as well as 3027MB of GDDR5 memory, dual 384-bit memory buses, 128 texture units, 96 ROPs. The GTX 590 essentially doubles the hardware of Nvidia's current single-GF110 flagship, the GTX 580, except it will likely have lower clocks.

In other Nvidia news, the company has announced plans to host a special booth for PC gamers at PAX East 2011. The event kicks off on March 11 at Exhibit Hall A, Booth #524 and will let attendees experience today's "hottest" games (including some unreleased titles) in 3D and Nvidia 3D Vision Surround. Nvidia also plans to give away $20,000 worth of prizes along with showcasing various gaming PCs and upcoming Tegra handsets and tablets.

Permalink to story.

Why launch it on the release of Crysis 2? It looks worse than the first game and honestly doesn't need more than a GTX 280.

Princeton said:
Why launch it on the release of Crysis 2? It looks worse than the first game and honestly doesn't need more than a GTX 280.

Yes currently Crysis 2 does look worse than the first one... BUT everyone has only seen it in Directx9. Just upgrading it to Directx10 would make a HUGE difference and according to NVIDIA it is suppose to be a full Directx11 game. So I am hopeful that it will look a lot better than what everyone has seen.. Unfortunately the gameplay will still be like Call of Duty.... UGG...(Sad)... And Deus EX Human Revolution is coming out soon! and the minimum requirements are higher than ANY GAME I'VE EVER SEEN! So I assume that you will need a good card to play it... Yes this card is overkill but then you will not have to worry about upgrading for a long time also... I got the Geforce 8800 Ultra when it first came out paid $700 for it but I have had it for almost 4 years now and just yesterday bought the GTX 570 with some best buy cash I had.. When Crysis came out the best hardware couldn't even play it on high settings but now we have the since we have the hardware I cant wait for a game that utilizes it!

dcrosenthal said:
Princeton said:

Yes currently Crysis 2 does look worse than the first one... BUT everyone has only seen it in Directx9. Just upgrading it to Directx10 would make a HUGE difference and according to NVIDIA it is suppose to be a full Directx11 game. So I am hopeful that it will look a lot better than what everyone has seen.. Unfortunately the gameplay will still be like Call of Duty.... UGG...(Sad)... And Deus EX Human Revolution is coming out soon! and the minimum requirements are higher than ANY GAME I'VE EVER SEEN! So I assume that you will need a good card to play it... Yes this card is overkill but then you will not have to worry about upgrading for a long time also... I got the Geforce 8800 Ultra when it first came out paid $700 for it but I have had it for almost 4 years now and just yesterday bought the GTX 570 with some best buy cash I had.. When Crysis came out the best hardware couldn't even play it on high settings but now we have the since we have the hardware I cant wait for a game that utilizes it!

Uh crysis 2 isn't a full DX11 game. It's going to use the same models and textures on all settings(sanbox 3 editor proved this) and DX11 will be patched in. The only way to get farther from "full dx11" than that is to not have dx11 at all. Switching to DX10 won't have a HUGE difference. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Upgrading the version of DirectX only makes a difference when it is taken advantage of, and Crysis 2 won't take advantage of DX11 in any way, it's a console port and everyone knows it.

Princeton said:
dcrosenthal said:
Princeton said:

Uh crysis 2 isn't a full DX11 game. It's going to use the same models and textures on all settings(sanbox 3 editor proved this) and DX11 will be patched in. The only way to get farther from "full dx11" than that is to not have dx11 at all. Switching to DX10 won't have a HUGE difference. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Upgrading the version of DirectX only makes a difference when it is taken advantage of, and Crysis 2 won't take advantage of DX11 in any way, it's a console port and everyone knows it.

Yes, Crysis 2 will be a full DX11 game once they patch it in. No this is not a console port as Crytek confirms that it was developed for PC and ported to console. I can not say for sure that it will take full advantage of DX11 but knowing Crytek my expectations are high. A GTX 280 WILL NOT take full advantage of this game as it will not even be able to run DX11. DX11 is only enabled in 400 series cards and higher.

Only time will tell how the final game will actually perform but as I said, knowing Crytek I have high expectations. I really hope they do pull this off.

Princeton said:

Think just for a second.. You dont follow this stuff very well... 1st) Nvidia paid Crytech over $2million dollars on crysis 2. Here is a quote from a website: "Nvidia is spending a full $2 million bucks on the marketing machine and including a built in benchmark before the upcoming Crysis 2 launch. It’ll have full control over it which means it’ll enjoy the brand recognition of being associated with a beautiful looking game." So given this Nvidia should know whats happening with the game since they paid so much money into it.
2) go to: http://www.geforce.com/#/GamesandApps/games/crysis-2/overview QUOTE "Crytek is once again breaking down graphical barriers with Crysis 2. The new CryEngine 3 taps into the latest GeForce technologies such as DirectX 11, SLI, and 3D Vision. Urban combat has never looked this good.

Point I'm trying to make is Nvidia paid $2 million dollars to crytech for crysis 2, so they should know what they are talking about. They say Crysis 2 will be full DirectX11 supported then I believe it. They probably released crysis 2 in Directx9 to stir up news! I'm in college and it dosn't take much to know that even bad new makes money. Its like Charlie Shean goes on drugs, get kicked of two and a half men and get millions of followers... Its good for busness. The screen shots look way better than the game... so maybe something is missing? I think all of this was just a hoax to get people to talk about the game... And its working if you ask me! The only way we will know for sure is to wait. but in my opinon if I paid $2million dollars on a game I would want to know almost everything about it.... (just saying)

Actually you're missing the point. If the game only uses 1 set of shaders and models then it's not a game built for PC and ported to console. It's a console game ported to PC. It has preset graphical settings and it will NOT have multiple sets of shaders and models. It wouldn't be possible to do so in the time frame they've had since the leak and the demo.

The patching in of DX11 will be simple stuff. Patching in stuff like tessellation isn't feasible and frankly would take months. Considering the amount of effort that has gone into the xbox version(most of the effort) they probably won't bother to put the advanced DX11 features in.

Also your link leads to some screenshots where they talk about how crytek is breaking barriers with groundbreaking visuals.

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/xml_graphics/crysis-2/screenshot8.jpg

So groundbreaking huh? The trees and grass look like something you'd see on the source engine. It's a HUGE downgrade from the previous game in every way when it comes to graphics.

Yes, Crysis 2 will be a full DX11 game once they patch it in. No this is not a console port as Crytek confirms that it was developed for PC and ported to console. I can not say for sure that it will take full advantage of DX11 but knowing Crytek my expectations are high. A GTX 280 WILL NOT take full advantage of this game as it will not even be able to run DX11. DX11 is only enabled in 400 series cards and higher.

Only time will tell how the final game will actually perform but as I said, knowing Crytek I have high expectations. I really hope they do pull this off.

I love your logic. Crytek sayd dis so it must be tru!

You realize that you have to base an argument off of facts, not off of marketing speak.

Princeton said:
Actually you're missing the point. If the game only uses 1 set of shaders and models then it's not a game built for PC and ported to console. It's a console game ported to PC. It has preset graphical settings and it will NOT have multiple sets of shaders and models. It wouldn't be possible to do so in the time frame they've had since the leak and the demo.

The patching in of DX11 will be simple stuff. Patching in stuff like tessellation isn't feasible and frankly would take months. Considering the amount of effort that has gone into the xbox version(most of the effort) they probably won't bother to put the advanced DX11 features in.

Also your link leads to some screenshots where they talk about how crytek is breaking barriers with groundbreaking visuals.

http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/xml_graphics/crysis-2/screenshot8.jpg

So groundbreaking huh? The trees and grass look like something you'd see on the source engine. It's a HUGE downgrade from the previous game in every way when it comes to graphics.

Princeton said:
TrekExpert said:

You realize that you have to base an argument off of facts, not off of marketing speak.

I simply gave the information that has been given at the time. Your argument on the other hand contains no facts. Simply speculation on what you believe is possible during the given time frame.

Crytek has not even stated when their first patch will be as they have not even released the game yet. It could be as much as a few months after the game release. This would be more than enough for them to add in all the additional features and the leak did not necessarily incorporate the best graphics that Crytek was working on at the time.

As for "Crytek sayd dis so it must be tru!". I clearly stated that I am only being optimistic. I believe Crytek will keep there word and deliver an amazing game just as they promised although there are no guarantees.

Yes it does, very much so. But the catch phrase for Crysis 2 from the top down(Cervat Yerli) has been the best graphics ever, and the most intelligent AI in history.
You would have to believe that within a month or two that the DX11 add would be forthcoming. or this is about the most misleading marketing of a game ever. I think (hope) that the lack of even DX10/10.1 is a clue that DX11 is on its way. As of right now, I would like to 'un-order' this thing...it looks like hell. Unfortunately they already have my $60 (perhaps the pre-orders are funding the DX11 development):rolleyes: Check out the water for example...as a reviewer once said of a questionable Larrabee preview...it looks like someone had an accident with a tub of KY.

TrekExpert said:
I simply gave the information that has been given at the time. Your argument on the other hand contains no facts. Simply speculation on what you believe is possible during the given time frame.

Crytek has not even stated when their first patch will be as they have not even released the game yet. It could be as much as a few months after the game release. This would be more than enough for them to add in all the additional features and the leak did not necessarily incorporate the best graphics that Crytek was working on at the time.

As for "Crytek sayd dis so it must be tru!". I clearly stated that I am only being optimistic. I believe Crytek will keep there word and deliver an amazing game just as they promised although there are no guarantees.

My argument was purely based off facts. I don't know what you're smoking but I want some. My initial argument was based off of facts gathered from the leaked Sandbox 3 Editor. Your argument was that it was built for PCs because Cevat said so.

Quit the idiocy, it isn't wanted.

red1776 said:

Yes it does, very much so. But the catch phrase for Crysis 2 from the top down(Cervat Yerli) has been the best graphics ever, and the most intelligent AI in history.
You would have to believe that within a month or two that the DX11 add would be forthcoming. or this is about the most misleading marketing of a game ever. I think (hope) that the lack of even DX10/10.1 is a clue that DX11 is on its way. As of right now, I would like to 'un-order' this thing...it looks like hell. Check out the water for example...as a reviewer once said of a questionable Larrabee preview...it looks like someone had an accident with a tub of KY.

LOL! Thats funny that you want to un-order it! I truly believe that with Directx 11 Crysis 2 will look better than Crysis 1. HOWEVER if you have downloaded the game already you will find that not only is the graphics not what they should be (I think they will get better) but the gameplay is like a Call of Duty game. (sad) In crysis 1 you could shoot down trees, blow up buildings, punch through walls, none of which you will be able to do in Crysis 2... Most everything is stationary. I wanted to be able to bring skyscrapers down damit! or at least drive a car through walls.... Or how about tents? No sad to say this is not how they made Crysis 2... And I will probably wait till steam sell it for like $7/$5 before I buy it...

@Princeton

If anything it seems that all you need to pitch a game as having BEST GRAFICS EVER is some ambient occlusion and motion blur in screenshots to please the masses.

Also, lay off the crysis 2 rantings already. Anyone who gives a damn should have already realized that this game will probably be worse than the last, and I doubt you'll be able to do anything more than get insults and illogical arguments thrown at you from the fanboys.

herpaderp said:
@Princeton

If anything it seems that all you need to pitch a game as having BEST GRAFICS EVER is some ambient occlusion and motion blur in screenshots to please the masses.

Also, lay off the crysis 2 rantings already. Anyone who gives a damn should have already realized that this game will probably be worse than the last, and I doubt you'll be able to do anything more than get insults and illogical arguments thrown at you from the fanboys.

I guess it's my nature to fight against illogical arguments and fanboys, even though they will never change their stance regardless of facts presented.

dcrosenthal said:
red1776 said:

You would have to believe that within a month or two that the DX11 add would be forthcoming. or this is about the most misleading marketing of a game ever. I think (hope) that the lack of even DX10/10.1 is a clue that DX11 is on its way. As of right now, I would like to 'un-order' this thing...it looks like hell. Check out the water for example...as a reviewer once said of a questionable Larrabee preview...it looks like someone had an accident with a tub of KY.

LOL! Thats funny that you want to un-order it! I truly believe that with Directx 11 Crysis 2 will look better than Crysis 1. HOWEVER if you have downloaded the game already you will find that not only is the graphics not what they should be (I think they will get better) but the gameplay is like a Call of Duty game. (sad) In crysis 1 you could shoot down trees, blow up buildings, punch through walls, none of which you will be able to do in Crysis 2... Most everything is stationary. I wanted to be able to bring skyscrapers down damit! or at least drive a car through walls.... Or how about tents? No sad to say this is not how they made Crysis 2... And I will probably wait till steam sell it for like $7/$5 before I buy it...

Crysis 1 had no tents and you couldn't punch through walls. Are you sure you're talking about the right game?

....ummm, I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or taking me to task LOL. I have played the demo, and I posted earlier that it plays like its clone COD...or I may have said MOH. In either case all I am saying is that as is, its terribly disappointing. I do think that they will have a DX11 version/add in a couple of months. Now that you mention it...I could have swore that I listened to Yerli babble on about how destructible the environment was going to be. The demo (without exaggerating) feels and looks like a half finished beta.

red1776 said:

....ummm, I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or taking me to task LOL. I have played the demo, and I posted earlier that it plays like its clone COD...or I may have said MOH. In either case all I am saying is that as is, its terribly disappointing. I do think that they will have a DX11 version/add in a couple of months. Now that you mention it...I could have swore that I listened to Yerli babble on about how destructible the environment was going to be. The demo (without exaggerating) feels and looks like a half finished beta.

Yerli went on about destruction, but it's all just aesthetics. You can blow the top of the concrete off of barriers but it doesn't even change the barrier's hitbox. When he talked about blowing up building ect he was telling the truth, but they're all just scripted sequences which IMO don't count as destruction.

Princeton said:
TrekExpert said:

My argument was purely based off facts. I don't know what you're smoking but I want some. My initial argument was based off of facts gathered from the leaked Sandbox 3 Editor. Your argument was that it was built for PCs because Cevat said so.

Quit the idiocy, it isn't wanted.

Sorry to break it to you but the information you have from the Sandbox 3 Editor are not facts that represent how the game will look after the first patch. Even Crytek probably don't know that yet. Therefore instantly condemning the game is uncalled for as you can not possibly know how it will turn out.

Yerli went on about destruction, but it's all just aesthetics. You can blow the top of the concrete off of barriers but it doesn't even change the barrier's hitbox. When he talked about blowing up building ect he was telling the truth, but they're all just scripted sequences which IMO don't count as destruction.

I agree, if this is the end feature of "destructibility" it is very misleading. Pre-rendered event triggers, a destructive environment does not make.

Sorry to break it to you but the information you have from the Sandbox 3 Editor are not facts that represent how the game will look after the first patch. Even Crytek probably don't know that yet. Therefore instantly condemning the game is uncalled for as you can not possibly know how it will turn out.

True...we don't know "how it will turn out" However i didn't pay $60 for The best graphics and AI in history, to be met with graphics reminiscent of a Tom and Jerry episode for something that may or may not happen down the road. I would like to take my $60 and exit stage left...right even.

Princeton said:
herpaderp said:
@Princeton

I guess it's my nature to fight against illogical arguments and fanboys, even though they will never change their stance regardless of facts presented.

dcrosenthal said:
red1776 said:

Crysis 1 had no tents and you couldn't punch through walls. Are you sure you're talking about the right game?

"couldn't punch through walls" OMG... what have you been smoking? Cuz you need to play the game again... or play it... I wonder if you have even played crysis...
here is punching through a cealing and throughing a person through a wall..
http://www.thunderkick.gr/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crysis067.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/11/crysis1.jpg
sorry for my bad spelling... but yes I am talking about the right game... the question is ARE YOU?

What made Crysis 1 great was not just the Graphics but the destructibility of everything. I spent hours cutting down trees with bullets and piling up explosives to blow up buildings! It was great! Crysis 2 does not implement any of this... This is what I was most upset about... I wanted to be able to bring skyscrapers down! or when a grenade goes off at least see a hole in the wall... come on....

dcrosenthal said:
"couldn't punch through walls" OMG... what have you been smoking? Cuz you need to play the game again... or play it... I wonder if you have even played crysis...
here is punching through a cealing and throughing a person through a wall..
http://www.thunderkick.gr/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/crysis067.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/11/crysis1.jpg
sorry for my bad spelling... but yes I am talking about the right game... the question is ARE YOU?

Neither of those are punching THROUGH A WALL.

Nowhere in crysis can you physically punch through a solid wall. Punching a wall will cause it to collapse but you can't actually punch through it, Cryengine 2 isn't capable of that kind of destruction. PLUS Those images are pre rendered, they aren't in game.

Oh look at that, looks like YOU need to play the game again, because you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about. You ask if I've played crysis, then you show that you know NOTHING about the game.

Oh and how about you show us those magic tents that you keep going on about. You haven't shown an in game shot of someone punching through a wall, and you haven't shown an in game shot of a tent.

I think we could stand to cool off a bit and try to be more civil. Name calling will be frowned upon.

While the words "Crysis 2" did appear in the article, the subject of the article is the GeForce GTX 590.

Makes sense from a marketing standpoint to have it release on the same day as Crysis 2. It can piggyback on the game's hype, as opposed to generating its own. I don't think too many people are that excited about the 590, as they weren't over the 6990.

I got around to playing the demo of Crysis 2. I was so bored, that I didn't even really care to look at the maxed out graphics. The suit was dumbed down too; whether that was just for the purposes of the demo, I don't know, but I was underwhelmed big-time.

At least a bad sequence will end the utter stupidity one have to read again and again i.e. 'will it run crysis' ........ I wonder if it doesn't turn out to be the game as it is hoped for, will it be called 'Cry Sis'.

Definitely dissapointed with Crysis 2. I loved the first Crysis and Warhead was okay. I was looking forward to a ground-breaking game with Crysis 2 after I first heard rumors about it. Thinking that the graphics would look absolutely stunning and everything. It plays and feels way too much like a console game, and Call of Duty style. They seemed to spend much more time developing it for consoles, instead of creating what could have been an epic PC game. They seemed to try and create this game to act more like other competitors like Call of Duty. If i wanted to play that type of game, then I'd go buy it.

I liked Crysis for what it was, unique, graphically superior, great and different style of game play. This new Crysis 2 demo is really boring. The suit seems to be dumbed down. And well.. it just isn't the same.

Battlefield 3, on the other hand... I can't wait.

Back