Nvidia's launches the dirt cheap GeForce GT 710 graphics card

Scorpus

Staff member

Nvidia has released a dirt cheap graphics card to the market, known as the GeForce GT 710, providing what the company claims is "up to 10x better performance than integrated graphics" and a gaming experience that's "up to 80% faster".

These performance statistics might be a bit of an exaggeration for an entry-level card, especially considering the GT 710 packs just 192 CUDA cores clocked at 954 MHz. For comparison, even a relatively modest GTX 750 Ti includes 640 CUDA cores, although that card is several times the price of the GT 710.

The current GT 710 offerings on the market are from EVGA, who have released 1 and 2 GB variants that both use DDR3 memory on a 64-bit bus providing around 14 GB/s of bandwidth. Of the four models of GT 710 released by EVGA, two are actively cooled, while the other two contain only a heatsink; all can be configured to fit in a half-height case.

Looking at this card's specifications, it's unlikely that it will be any faster than an integrated GPU in Intel's latest Skylake processors. However if you have an older computer and want access to the latest features, such as DirectX 12 and OpenGL 4.5, this could be a decent solution.

The GT 710 is currently on sale through Newegg for $35 in its 1 GB variant, and $40 for the 2 GB model. Mail in rebates can take the price down by a further $5 if you're on an extremely tight budget.

Permalink to story.

There must be a market for something like this or why bother?..
Having said that this card has piqued my interest, I don't know which one I'd choose for 4K gaming, a Titan X or this. :D

If it can play games like LoL and WoW on medium settings it's actually worth buying to some people. Cards like this before used to be a waste of money cause they wouldn't give you any advantages over iGP.

If it can play games like LoL and WoW on medium settings it's actually worth buying to some people. Cards like this before used to be a waste of money cause they wouldn't give you any advantages over iGP.
I doubt this is better than newer IGP for the price it has.
I can play dota 2 on medium high and wow on high, even gta5 and shadow of mordor on low with 25-30fps with resolution 900p on an 2 years old athlon 5350 cpu and a configuration with that cpu was as expensive as a gtx 750 back then(mb+cpu+4gbram).Soon amd will update the low budget platform and you will pretty much run at high-max settings the usual moba and mmo games. In my opinion this card is useless on newer computers.

You could use it as a dedicated PhysX card. I did that recently with a $50 GT 610. Started this new MMO that was causing a lot of lag even though my graphics card wasn't really being stressed. With some research I found out that it makes heavy use of PhysX, which usually runs off the CPU. Added a cheap card and dedicated it to PhysX and now the CPU gets to do what it's supposed to do and the game flows smoothly.

Eh, this is useful for people who mostly play MMOs and such and don't necessarily need the greatest performance. Would actually be a good purchase for my mom, she's running SWTOR on integrated GeForce 6150 SE. Okay framerates at minimum settings, but she could definitely use some more oomph.

Might be worth putting in my work computer that has a pentium 4 and 2 gigs of ram. Might be able to watch some youtube videos on my lunch break without all the stuttering!

There must be a market for something like this or why bother?..
This SKU is Nvidia's competition for the current R5 230 ( it hasn't received the rebranding of other retail 300 series). Both sit in the $30-35 price bracket.
Will this be able to play 4k HEVC/x265 videos? Maybe even at 60fps ?
It only has HDMI 1.4, so 4K playback is capped at 24 f.p.s.
Been looking for an upgrade for my htpc wonder how much better this would be compared to a 6450.
The R5 230 is a slightly detuned HD 6450 ( 625MHz core vs the 650MHz of the 6450), so the GT 710 (GK208) should be around R7 240 performance. Either way, you don't expect miracles from a $30 card.
This is actually pretty useful for us at the office has most pc dont support multi monitors and we buy alot of cheap GPU's to accommodate
Also, probably a good upgrade for those with older IGP motherboards that lack decent connectivity such as a reasonable revision HDMI.

The R5 230 is a slightly detuned HD 6450 ( 625MHz core vs the 650MHz of the 6450), so the GT 710 (GK208) should be around R7 240 performance. Either way, you don't expect miracles from a $30 card.
great info. I was actually looking to buy something like this for my kids to play minecraft story mode (requires dx11). I got a core 2 duo with ssd on win10, and it's doing great. There isn't anything decent out there now for less than $40. besides, this one is silent.

edit: a low-profile discrete graphic card is hard to find at low price. they used to be everywhere. and I wonder how this compares to the 9-year old gt8800 (with 128 cores)

a low-profile discrete graphic card is hard to find at low price. they used to be everywhere. and I wonder how this compares to the 9-year old gt8800 (with 128 cores)
Going to be tough finding a direct comparison, but they should be very close in performance. The GT 710 is basically the same performance as the existing GT 720 (it may have fewer enabled ROP/TMU but has a higher clock). The Passmark benchmark pegs the GT 720 very close to the 8800GT.

The 8800GT is still the faster card lol, despite it being 9 years old, it has 4 times the memory bandwidth and is a completely different architecture, back before they were called cuda cores, the stream processor days. This new entry level GPU needs to be bench-marked with the original Crisis, then we'd see how it compares to the 8800GT.

The funny thing is it was the first card I thought of when I started to read the article, obviously it still resonates with many people, that was such a good GPU. Both of mine are still running in friends systems to this day, talk about good fabrication, BFG only made the best cards, lol.

Wondering why introduce this when the 720 is already out there.
What? $10 difference in price? At this price point why bother?
Do any of you see the marketing reasoning here?

The 8800GT is still the faster card lol, despite it being 9 years old, it has 4 times the memory bandwidth and is a completely different architecture, back before they were called cuda cores, the stream processor days. This new entry level GPU needs to be bench-marked with the original Crisis, then we'd see how it compares to the 8800GT.

The funny thing is it was the first card I thought of when I started to read the article, obviously it still resonates with many people, that was such a good GPU. Both of mine are still running in friends systems to this day, talk about good fabrication, BFG only made the best cards, lol.

Ha. That is pretty funny. I was going to write "stream processors" but figured most won't know what the heck those are. I gave my 8800gt to my father in-laws when he had an exact same one (evga) to run in cross-fire, I mean, SLI... :) I could stomach the 90F heat once I got into 28nm. My HD7850 tops out at 63F no matter how hard I push it.

The key is that it is a completely different architecture. The graphics pipeline is also different as is cache system and compute unit hierarchy.
Here's a couple of comparisons:
3DMark Vantage Performance: 8800GT (stock 600 core/4790K CPU): 6889, GT 720 running at 710 speed w/4790 CPU : 6708 (-2.7% vs the 8800GT)
and from the community based aggregated benchmarks.
You would probably need to distinguish which SKU's you're comparing. Default memory size for the 8800GT is 512MB which would also add a variable. The GT 710 is 1GB ($30-35), or 2GB ($35-40. If you are talking outright performance then the gap closes appreciably with overclocking (albeit an unlikely event for entry level cards). The 8800GT is usually good for 100MHz core clock bump (~ 17%) but little in the way of memory overclocking. The GK208 like most Kepler's OC's rather well, with 20%+ is within reach even with passive cooling provided the chassis airflow is good.
The 8800GT was a great workhorse. I had a couple myself (EVGA's) although the stock cooling wasn't great . Nothing that fitting a couple of Zalman VF-1000's didn't fix - certainly a better investment than my 8800U's - and yes, BFG were a standout brand until they started getting sloppy with GPU binning and the warranty return rates went through the roof - three of which were from me (GTX 280 H2OC's)
Wondering why introduce this when the 720 is already out there.
What? $10 difference in price? At this price point why bother?
Do any of you see the marketing reasoning here?
I suspect the reason is just economics. The GT 720 is around $50, but Nvidia really needed something in the $30 bracket. They could have dropped pricing on the 720, but that leaves a comparatively large gap (at least in the context of this market) to the $60-65 GT 730. You could throw a metaphorical blanket over most- if not all, the sub-$60 cards from both AMD and Nvidia as their performance envelopes are very close - and overlap in some cases.
The bigger mystery for me is why Nvidia haven't bothered with a Maxwell part (GM208). The company halved the GM204 to make the GM206, so why not halve the GM206 to make a 64-bit GM208? HDMI 2.0 support and HEVC transcode support would be big features for a card aimed at HTPC/casual gaming.

Last edited:
Might be worth putting in my work computer that has a pentium 4 and 2 gigs of ram. Might be able to watch some youtube videos on my lunch break without all the stuttering!

I doubt this GPU would help much. Youtube switched to HTML5 and it doesn't do HW acceleration like flash used to, but it's much more energy efficient.

Back