NZXT Bunker locks down your PC peripherals

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

We're not sure how common peripheral theft is, but if you lose sleep over the thought of someone swiping your pricey gaming mouse, NZXT has a solution. The company has launched a new contraption called the "Bunker" that secures external PC devices, such as your keyboard, mouse, and headphones.

The Bunker occupies an unused 5.25-inch drive bay and has four USB ports (presumably 2.0) directly behind the front grill. The idea is pretty simple: you plug your peripherals into those ports and feed the wires through the small gap below the grill, which is locked into place. The routing gap is too small for USB connectors to fit through, so a thief will have to cut the wires if they want to lift your gear.

This is obviously less of a concern if your desktop never leaves home (unless you have shady roommates) but NZXT thinks the Bunker could offer peace of mind when attending LAN parties and other public venues. The device's MSRP is set at $24.99 and units should begin shipping in March.

Permalink to story.

"so a thief will have to cut the wires if they want to lift your gear"

...or just to be a d**k! lol

gwailo247 said:
Good place to store the piece of paper with all your passwords on it.

People still write their passwords down? What's wrong with just remembering your passwords?

I just use "password" for everything. Oh crap.. I gave away my secret :{

how the eff does that help me with my wireless mouse? At least you can get the same result without cutting the wire, the mouse leaving the plug behind.

Been to a local LAN 4-5 times with 100+ people and I have never heard of someone having anything stolen at my local LAN.

It might be useful as a protection against the placement of hardware-keyloggers.

Ha Ha, It's just one of them cheap locks they've been using for ages. Hardly a challenge to a theif....If they were wanting to actually steal your stuff, they would just lift the entire rig, and be gone.

Guest said:
It might be useful as a protection against the placement of hardware-keyloggers.

Not if any of your other USB ports are open.

Also for wireless, it could be used to add a couple ports up front which would be much better for wireless signal strength, and being covered (assuming the cover does not interfere too terribly bad) will really make you forget they are there, while freeing up other USB slots (or at least get receivers from plugging in on the back end of the case).

Guest said:
I just use "password" for everything. Oh crap.. I gave away my secret :{

It is the world's second most common password after all. Even more common than 123456 :)

Mah, if the theif is good enough with a soldering-pin he'd snag the equipment anyway I think. (I am aware of the tricky wiring, mind you) But nowadays, gaming-gear and alike is expensive enough for some crooks to consider it worth purchasing a seperate plug from Radio-shack in order to get hold of mice, keyboards and what not.

That thing doesn't look at that solid, makes me wonder how easy it would be to force it open...

Back