O.C. question

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt1522

Ok I really don't over clock because I know i dont have a cooling fan the can effectively work to cool the overworked processor. I was looking at getting a zero therm butterfly heat sink and fan. Is it worth Over clocking the cpu if i get this heat sink . The reason I ask is because i want to upgrade the computer but dont have the money. The last question I have is ,if using a program to do said O.C. the how much should I increase the speed each time before testing to avoid a crash

The only reason why we all OC is that same reason you said. Most stock fans and sinks can handle the OC. But don't go crazy OC in higher numbers otherwise you can cause the system to halt on your. If this happens you would have to clear the CMOS or remove the backup battery from the MOBO (motherboard). Find out what your CPU can handle and be stable (that's they keyboard stable) I had gone to the max and it's has been stable for 2 years now. Start off slowly and see what the system can handle. See if you can find others who have the same CPU some share in the techniques of OC of that CPU.

A stock heatsink can handle small overclocks. In the case of some Core2Duos (I'm not famillair with the newer ones), they can handle pretty decent overclocks.

Some others will need a heatsink upgrade.

About overclocking using a program, I generally don't advise it. BIOS overclocking is a much better way to do it.

How much to overclock at a time? Most people suggest 5mhz FSB at a time. As you can imagine, this will be a slow process. If you have read other people's overclock on the same processor, you can try to reach similar values without upping it 5 mhz at a time (if people are reaching 3ghz, start off at 2.8ghz or something).

Just keep increasing it, and see if you're still booting up normally. If you are, go back to BIOS and increase it somemore.

An overclocked computer is useless if its not stable, so you will also want to check for stability. Get something like Orthos, and see if it'll run for >10 hours, which means you'd want to leave it overnight. This is best done after each increase in FSB, but will take forever, so usually I do it after reaching a speed that wouldn't load Windows properly (and scaled back a few hundred mhz).

Its a tedious process, and even if you're experienced at it, will take you a few days to do (unless you're going for a small overclock, but even then, a >10 hour orthos check is still recommended, the longer the better).

Another thing you can do with the stability; instead of checking for just a plain windows boot, run orthos for 5 mins after each increase in FSB. If there's no errors after 5 minutes, chances are you might be able to push it a little furhur.

To help us all help you a little more, you should tell us your CPU, motherboard and RAM with as much detail as possible.

BIOS is the way to go for OC though.. Don't use software like OC start off FSB (front side bus) or CPUIDx stuff like that, you might fried the system.

Ok I got my system over clocked to 2.4ghz but windows says it is running at 1.44ghz but prime 95 says it running at 2.4 which should I believe

I'm sorry it says prime 95 in my last post, core temp says it 2.4GHZ . As far a performance prime 95 ran for 5 hours and the temp only got to 52-54C on core 1 and
46-49C on core 0. My system seems a little faster but I havent really had a chance to test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back