OCing Phenom x2 555 Black Edition

Mister_K

So i have increased the FSB from 200 to around 225 or so and i am at 3.6GHZ atm (3.2GHZ stock). Everything boots up fine and played SC2 with maxed out settings for 15mins in a semi-huge battle and these are the temps. i got.

(SpeedFan)
---------MAX-------AVG-------MIN
GPU: 53.0C------47C-------24C
Temp1: 50C------39C-------36c
Core: 47.5C------40C-------27C
Core: 53.0C------47C-------23C

That's only 15mins of gameplay so i guess over 4hrs it will go up... So not sure if i should continue OCing to around 3.8 or even 4.0 or stop here.... Don't wanna damage my CPU or anything.... So yeh just wondering if i should keep OCing until it becomes unstable or keep it like it is.

Also i haven't increased anything else apart from FSB Frequency so not sure if i should increase voltage and stuff or not...

PS:

Just wondering i am using GTX460 1GB OC edition and i would like to know how do i turn on DX.11 since i would like to see if its big improvement in FPS and visually. When i ran dxdiag in CMD it says its 9.0.c atm...

Also been reading through OC guides kind of so learning lot ^^ Need to learn more before i go off do CCNA next year in Sixth Form :D

Thanks in advance :)) (I am very knew at this hehe)

Just wondering i am using GTX460 1GB OC edition and i would like to know how do i turn on DX.11 since i would like to see if its big improvement in FPS and visually. When i ran dxdiag in CMD it says its 9.0.c atm..

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but XP does not support DX11, or 10/10.1 for that matter. You will have to get windows 7to use DX11.

So yeh just wondering if i should keep OCing until it becomes unstable or keep it like it is

Thats up to you and if and when you become satisfied with the performance. A couple things though.
1) becoming 'unstable' whilst finding the furthest you can push it, is an intregal part of OC'ing. You should expect to lock up, freeze, BS, etc many times during the OC'ing process.
2) you may need to (more likely than not) need to add voltage to other areas once past 3.6-3.7 GHz on an AMD system ie north bridge, memory,HT etc.
3) watch the temps always! If you do not have an aftermarket heatsink/fan, now would be a good time to do that.
5) the absolute upper limit on Vcore is 1.55v without exotic cooling. I can already tell from your temps that anywhere near that will get over the thermal limit.

This is a good guide for AMD CPU's and voltage levels and limits, you might try AOD as well before you enter OC values into the bios.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx

This might help as well. I wrote it a while back, but the principles are the same.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post786270-2.html

Hope that helps.:)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but XP does not support DX11, or 10/10.1 for that matter. You will have to get windows 7to use DX11.

Ah damm it... well i will buy Windows7 64bit "soon" since i hate using 32bit and being capped at 3.3GB ram....

3) watch the temps always! If you do not have an aftermarket heatsink/fan, now would be a good time to do that.
5) the absolute upper limit on Vcore is 1.55v without exotic cooling. I can already tell from your temps that anywhere near that will get over the thermal limit.

I am using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as my CPU cooler and 120mm Led fan as my front case cooler. I wanna see if i can find a side case since my one dosnt have any holes so i cant fit a fan on it... only front and a back (exhaust fan ofc)..... Hehe infact il go in garage and modify the side panel my self^^ Hammmer + Nails = Profit :D

But all in all i am watching SpeedFan 24/7 as well as Everest.

Thats up to you and if and when you become satisfied with the performance. A couple things though.
1) becoming 'unstable' whilst finding the furthest you can push it, is an intregal part of OC'ing. You should expect to lock up, freeze, BS, etc many times during the OC'ing process.
2) you may need to (more likely than not) need to add voltage to other areas once past 3.6-3.7 GHz on an AMD system ie north bridge, memory,HT etc.

This is a good guide for AMD CPU's and voltage levels and limits, you might try AOD as well before you enter OC values into the bios.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx
Hope that helps.:)

Thanks for the info i will study it thoroughly but first need to do shitloads of graphics coursework since i was too busy listing to music in class.... :X Just out of curiosity what those AOD stand for? I looked on google and found Advance Optical Drives which i dont think it is in this case...

Edited:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4283/ocandtemps.jpg

Thanks for the info i will study it thoroughly but first need to do shitloads of graphics coursework since i was too busy listing to music in class.... :X

I suspect I am a lot older than you, but I went back to college and am doing a lot of graphics coursework myself. Adobe Suite for me. :)
holler if you get stumped during the OC'ing.

I suspect I am a lot older than you, but I went back to college and am doing a lot of graphics coursework myself. Adobe Suite for me. :)
holler if you get stumped during the OC'ing.

Hehe nice loving webdesign and playing around with photoshop ^^ Just need to learn more and nxt year of to lvl3/4 webdesign ^^ Really need to learn how to code since my knowledge of PhP/Html is poor :X

Still dont know what i wanna do though ...

Hehe nice loving webdesign and playing around with photoshop ^^ Just need to learn more and nxt year of to lvl3/4 webdesign ^^ Really need to learn how to code since my knowledge of PhP/Html is poor :X

Still dont know what i wanna do though ...

I took/am taking web design 1&2, desktop publishing, Photoshop, digital video production. sounds very similar....I just waited 30 years to go back to school. :)
HTML was a tough learning curve for me, but the adobe stuff was a fast learn. no idea why on either.

hi Artix! I have been overclocking for a very long time and even have some experience overclocking your CPU. My brother has it in his systems with the stock cooler on. He managed to get 3.4ghz out of it without changing the voltage and 3.7ghz@ 1.42vcore. Since you have a nice cooler, I'm sure you could get better results. depending on how risky you would consider yourself, I go by the rules "if it's stable It's not too hot"

i recommend you download a program called CPU-z. It will give you information on the voltage, speed, ect. of almost everything in your system.

hi Artix! I have been overclocking for a very long time and even have some experience overclocking your CPU. My brother has it in his systems with the stock cooler on. He managed to get 3.4ghz out of it without changing the voltage and 3.7ghz@ 1.42vcore. Since you have a nice cooler, I'm sure you could get better results. depending on how risky you would consider yourself, I go by the rules "if it's stable It's not too hot"

i recommend you download a program called CPU-z. It will give you information on the voltage, speed, ect. of almost everything in your system.

Hello, (gonna reply quick im tiirreeedddd :S)

Well i am at 3.6ghz atm without changing the voltage and under 50C on most games (stable). I will probably look how to unlock 4th core and possibly pull up the OC to 3.8ghz but not sure yet ^^

Thanks 4 the input il write more tmoz :D if i get the time

Hey just wondering where can I find Core Voltage option in BIOS? I am running the latest bios (1306) for M4N78-SE mobo, but I can't seem to find CPU Voltage option to increase the Vcore so I can OC my X2 555 BE all the way up to 3.8ghz (3.6ghz right now).

I currently dont have any problems with 3.6ghz clock so I would like to OC it more. Also just to add so far I have only been increasing the frequency (200 default and 225 right now) so not sure if I should play around with Processor Freq. Multiplier or just leave it on Auto.

My current Vcore is 1.400 but I would like to bump it up to around 1.425 or so.

One more question ^^

Since my CPU has 2 cores and the other 2 cores are locked I wanted to unlock them so I have a quad core for the price of dual core, but sadly I can't seem to find ACC anywhere in the BIOS.
Those my MOBO even support ACC feature?

PS

Added screenshot of CPU-Z stats. If needed I can take photo of my settings in BIOS.

Newbie bump :D

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to guess it does not support core unlocking.

The product page for your motherboard on the ASUS site does not list "core unlocker" as one of its options, whereas motherboards that possess it have that feature advertised in the specifications.

I'm going to guess it does not support core unlocking.

The product page for your motherboard on the ASUS site does not list "core unlocker" as one of its options, whereas motherboards that possess it have that feature advertised in the specifications.

Oh snap :X oh well... now just wondering where i change my Vcore settings :X

Thanks for your reply :)

The manual for your board does not seem to indicate that you can set the vcore, but instead you can do something called "CPU over voltage". Look at page 2-9 and 2-10 of your manual.

The manual for your board does not seem to indicate that you can set the vcore, but instead you can do something called "CPU over voltage". Look at page 2-9 and 2-10 of your manual.

Ah i see, so il increase it by 50mv and cpu frequency back to 339 (3.800ghz) and run benchmark see how hot it gets etc...

Thanks for help :))

Keep in mind those voltage limits from red1776's links.

Looking at your motherboard it seems to be a vanilla kind, not an "enthusiast" motherboard. It probably was not designed to push it as much, so I would be somewhat conservative in my overclocking. I would personally go as high as I can but keep the voltage close to stock.

Keep in mind those voltage limits from red1776's links.

Looking at your motherboard it seems to be a vanilla kind, not an "enthusiast" motherboard. It probably was not designed to push it as much, so I would be somewhat conservative in my overclocking. I would personally go as high as I can but keep the voltage close to stock.

Oki thanks for help mate, i will only bump the voltage with the 50mv option since its the lower possible and try get my PC to 3.8ghz :D 3.6ghz is fine but i wanna see how far i can go with this :D

Thanks again :)

Back