Oculus device sales estimated at nearly 7M units in 2021

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: When Facebook changed its corporate name to Meta late last year, it was more than just a simple rebranding. The move signaled the social media company was finally getting serious about what comes next; namely, it’s push into the metaverse and by proxy, its plans for Oculus. Fittingly, it seems as though sales of the company’s Oculus headsets are gaining traction.

IDC estimates Meta sold between 5.3 million and 6.8 million VR devices in 2021. Firm figures won’t be known until fourth quarter data is finalized and even then, Meta doesn’t regularly disclose Oculus sales data so we may never know for certain. Even in that range, it’d still be better than the 3.5 million units it is believed the company sold in 2020.

Both Jefferies and KeyBanc Capital reported downloads of the Oculus app were up over the holiday week, with Jefferies’ Brent Thill noting that daily active users on Christmas Day spiked 90 percent compared to the same period in 2020.

Facebook purchased Oculus for $2 billion way back in 2014 but didn’t really do much with the acquisition until recently. In hindsight, it’s entirely possible that Facebook was simply waiting for the hardware and technology to catch up to its vision.

Indeed, most early VR headsets of decent quality (not smartphone-assisted cardboard viewers) required a physical tether to transfer data and power to the host system, severely limiting their appeal. Sales picked up significantly once true wireless systems started hitting the market.

While the Oculus app data from the holidays is promising, time will tell how much of this activity proves to be more than casual use.

Image credit: Remy Gieling, Eugene Capon

Permalink to story.

Well, once they remove their mandatory FB account link, I'll consider one.

Would be nice to get into VR again (with a much newer device).

Imagine how I felt when I got jailed on Facebook, and had to switch to my burner account to log in so I could play with it.

I only bought my OQ2 so I could run VR on DCS World.

Other than that, I haven't touched it in months.

I even talked my uncle out of buying the $400 version of it because I explained to him, he should either get the cheaper one or wait.

Imagine how I felt when I got jailed on Facebook, and had to switch to my burner account to log in so I could play with it.

I only bought my OQ2 so I could run VR on DCS World.

Other than that, I haven't touched it in months.

I even talked my uncle out of buying the $400 version of it because I explained to him, he should either get the cheaper one or wait.
Yeah, I'm also stalling a bit to see if they announce the 3rd iteration soon. Then I could figure out if it would be worth getting the latest, or grab a refurbised/used v2 when other people upgrade.

As long as I can get the cheap one (aka, least amount of storage), I should be fine. I won't be using it as a mobile VR headset, but as a gaming rig VR headset.

Well, once they remove their mandatory FB account link, I'll consider one.

Would be nice to get into VR again (with a much newer device).
I don't think FB account are required anymore. I think that was removed a few months back.

Airlink is amazing, it even works really well on old Quest 1 too, and probably because of the OLED Quest 1 has it has different appeal (in presence) I don't know how to describe, it's so cool, just try play Half-Life Alyx, with bitrate set to fixed to 100 (with a proper 5ghz router with PC via ethernet), trust me so cool, with Quest 2 you can go up to fixed to 200, at higher resolution and refresh rate super cool too. Whatever people say they hate Facebook for, I think Facebook did some formidable job for VR.

Last edited:
Nobody outside of industrial or medical fields would need something like VR.
I agree. Perhaps military as well, for future weapon systems.

But you'll sell a lot more units if you can somehow convince them that they really really want it, to the point where they can no longer see the difference between the two. I've seen so many posts from people in the flight sim community saying that after having tried VR, they can't go back to a regular monitor, so now they need VR for the flight sim experience or they just won't play. To that I say, were you not having fun before VR? So why can't you have fun now without VR?

All I see here is FB working towards the point where people feel they need one of their VR headsets so they can be part of the crowd. Then they can bombard you with ads you can't easily ignore or filter. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it won't happen. It's just what my gut is telling me, but it might just be that stale bag of chips I ate interfering with my instincts.

Back