Oculus Rift modified to show what life would be like with lag

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A Swedish broadband provider recently wondered what life would be like if one of the net’s most annoying aspects impacted our everyday life. To find the answers, the IPS asked everyday people to complete everyday tasks like cooking, playing table tennis and bowling while wearing a modified version of the Oculus Rift to simulate lag.

The visor was equipped with a Logitech webcam and a Raspberry Pi to enable the effect. And with three seconds of lag on the top end, what transpired was absolutely hilarious. Needless to say, life would be pretty difficult if we had to contend with lag!

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

The results of the experiment seem quite obvious. Not sure what's the point of conducting such.

I agree, really pointless experiment/video. I don't play multiplayer games because it's an unfair mess because of lag.

That is the most ridiculous complaint I heard when it comes to Multiplayer games. I have yet to see this ''unfair mess'' when playing FPS games or mobas. Word of advice, don't play on oceanic servers but servers near you.

On topic, sure it's nothing knew, we know what happens when there is lag however it's certainly an interesting concept to test out with oculus in person rather than a screen.

This marketing ad is trying to sell fast internet by claiming it has less lag. AFAIK a lower bandwidth connection from the same ISP should have the same low ping as the high bandwidth connection.

If it were shown on TV there, it could be taken off TV for false advertising, if the regulatory agency is (made) aware.

Sure the ads "target" is inaccurate. But I rather enjoy this rather clever parody of my online gaming experience and it doesn't bash other companies (which I personally despise). 10/10 for cleverness and making my day

Back