OCZ intros new Colossus LT desktop SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you're just an everyday pencil pusher hoping to lay hands on OCZ's high-capacity, 3.5-inch Colossus solid-state drives, your odds just got a tiny bit better. The company has launched its Colossus LT series, which is comprised of 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, and 1TB models -- all of which use 34nm MLC NAND flash memory chips.

On paper, the new LT drives look pretty similar to the original Colossus. The 120GB unit offers a peak read/write rate of 260MB/s with a sustained write of 140MB/s and 15,000 IOPS, while the 250GB to 1TB versions have a speedier 220MB/s sustained write. All of them feature a dual Indilinx controller design, have 128MB of cache, and ship with a three-year warranty.

Although still wildly expensive when compared to mechanical storage, the LT series seems to be a little more affordable than the first Colossus lineup. Prices vary between sellers, but the 120GB drive is around $415, the 250GB jumps to $800, the 500GB is about $1,550, and the 1TB model is fetching over $3,300.

Permalink to story.

IMO, the prices are just right for me to jump on the bandwagon. I've just ordered one from NewEgg and I can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back