Official photos and details of Amazon's Fallout TV show have arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Official images have been revealed of what could be the next video game franchise to become a smash-hit TV series. Amazon Prime Video's Fallout show arrives on April 12 next year. Now, we have an idea of what this interpretation of Bethesda's post-apocalyptic world will look like, as well as more details about the story.

From the massive power armor to the noseless ghouls and Brotherhood of Steel airship, these first official images of the Fallout series are ramping up the excitement ahead of the show's official release in a few months.

Walton Goggins, known for his brilliant roles in shows such as The Shield, Justified, The Righteous Gemstones, and Sons of Anarchy, plays a cowboy ghoul aptly named "The Ghoul." His official character description reveals that he is pragmatic, ruthless, and hides a mysterious past.

Executive producer Jonathan Nolan said his aim was to make Goggins resemble the ghouls from the games – long-living humans mutated by radiation – without making him unrecognizable. "I need to be able to see Walton and his performance, he needs to look like a ghoul from the game, and he needs to be kind of hot," Nolan said.

The show occasionally flashes back to The Ghoul's life before the apocalypse, when he was a father, husband, and nose owner; the show is set 219 years after the nukes dropped.

Goggins is one of the three main characters from Fallout, the other two being a vault dweller named Lucy (Yellowjackets' Ella Purnell), and Brotherhood of Steel soldier Maximus (Aaron Moten). There's also Kyle MacLachlan's Overseer Hank, who is the Overseer of Vault 33 and Lucy's father.

Bethesda's Todd Howard confirmed that the show is set in the same universe as the games and is considered to be "canon."

"That's what's great, when someone else looks at your work and then translates it in some fashion," Howard told Vanity Fair.

Amazon's Fallout won't be taking any existing storylines directly from the games but will build a new story within the same universe. Howard said that some of the elements the show adds to the Fallout world were so good that Bethesda was left wondering "Ah, why didn't we do that?"

The images look as if they're taken from the leaked, behind-closed-doors teaser trailer for Fallout that was shown at Gamescom earlier this year.

Will Amazon's Fallout find the same level of success and acclaim as HBO's The Last of Us? We'll have to wait until April 12, 2024, to find out.

Permalink to story.

Every show or movie today has the same weakness. The same horrendous writing sucking joy out anyone daring to watch it. I have seen so many cool looking shows and movies that could be exciting if it was not for terrible story and horrible modern characters. Our culture has appointed another religion as the official religion of our society, and it is progressivism.
At this point I just want just real historic movies portraying life exactly as it was back then with all the cruelty and unfairness but lacking politics.

Every show or movie today has the same weakness. The same horrendous writing sucking joy out anyone daring to watch it. I have seen so many cool looking shows and movies that could be exciting if it was not for terrible story and horrible modern characters. Our culture has appointed another religion as the official religion of our society, and it is progressivism.
At this point I just want just real historic movies portraying life exactly as it was back then with all the cruelty and unfairness but lacking politics.
Yeah, It's hard for me to believe that multibillion-dollar companies produce these hard-to-swallow scripts. They seem more concerned with pushing a political agenda than anything else.

Yet another franchise buried for diversity and inclusion's sake. Back in the 50's, you had no powerful wahmen figures, and neither LGBT themes were hamfisted into the story.
But of course, Amazon being Amazon manages to destroy everything it touches. RIP Fallut.
P.S. NO, I am not a Trump fan (not even American).

Did I miss something about why everyone keeps going off on how woke this show will be? I didn't see anything in this article or in the short video that suggest such a thing. Let's keep TechSpot out of the cesspool.

In terms of the show, I am really looking forward to it. Over the years, I have played Fallout probably for 100+ hours. I sure hope they do it justice and focus more on action and sci-fi aspects and a lot less on boring dialog like most streaming shows.

Did I miss something about why everyone keeps going off on how woke this show will be? I didn't see anything in this article or in the short video that suggest such a thing. Let's keep TechSpot out of the cesspool.

In terms of the show, I am really looking forward to it. Over the years, I have played Fallout probably for 100+ hours. I sure hope they do it justice and focus more on action and sci-fi aspects and a lot less on boring dialog like most streaming shows.
Nah, they just have some kind of complex. The same thing goes on with TLOU2 ever since its release 3.5 years ago, even though there's nothing woke about it.

Amazing. Based on a handful of images people on this forum are already projecting their insecurities about progressivism and "wokeness". Life must be hard to be so offended so easily.

There are indeed some pathetic people around. I don't even think anywhere there have been such stereotypes thrown about when promoting this series.

Fear is for the meek.

This comment section is like a god damn honey pot for the #Gamergate crowd, JFC

A good story and complex characters are good and complex regardless of their race, gender, or sexuality. In fact, one would expect an apocalyptic society 200+ years in the future to have radically different norms than our own.

I agree that modern shows run into major issues with pacing, as well as allowing their characters to be ambiguous, which can turn a good concept into a snoozefest. That said, Fallout isn't exactly high art, and I have more concerns about how the tone of the games has shifted so drastically from Fallout 3 and New Vegas which really tried to preserve the atmosphere of FO 1 & 2 to FO4 and 76 which feel more like flanderized versions of the same thing.

I am certain if this post included "Trumpism" instead of "progressivism", the "neutral" moderator on this site would have flagged it as trolling!!

Well, what can I say... LOL, LMAO even. Not even surprised with the pics.

Thing I'm afraid of is some of the people complaining about how shows are literally lectures on dem social ishoos and obvious propaganda keep paying for streaming platforms and in the case of Prime, keep using Amazon knowing it gives them money to keep making this kind of crap content. Don't like propaganda? stop giving them money fellas, it's that simple.
Oh, right, it's "convenient", but, is it really worth it? I'd feel like a massive hypocrite if I said I'm against the agenda but kept paying for Amazon, Disney, Netflix, etc.

I won't even advocate for piracy here, some things aren't even worth pirating. Yeah, we're at that point down the slippery slope. We'll see if this one is, but, the way things are nowadays I'd say it's not.

Yet another franchise buried for diversity and inclusion's sake. Back in the 50's, you had no powerful wahmen figures, and neither LGBT themes were hamfisted into the story.
But of course, Amazon being Amazon manages to destroy everything it touches. RIP Fallut.
P.S. NO, I am not a Trump fan (not even American).

Women in the 50's were FAR more powerful. They expressed the natural power of femininity. Look at films like Cleopatra or Gone with the Wind. Men were told to respect women, as women.

Most people don't understand that Feminism is actually Anti-feminine. It tells women that their natural femininity is sick and degraded, and the only way to power is by imitating men. The result is that modern women are pale caricatures of men.

Amazing. Based on a handful of images people on this forum are already projecting their insecurities about progressivism and "wokeness". Life must be hard to be so offended so easily.

Progressivism and Wokeism are pathological conditions characterized by uncontrollable irrational fear of traditional values.
There's even a term for those caught up in that fear: 'snowflake'.

I hope it's not another of your woke bullcr@p from your side of the pond... if I feel it's gonna be ... I'll not even finish the 1st episode

I see from the screenshots that they have all cultures/races covered. It's a good start towards "woke". lol. I don't really care so much about that, just better not be a woke/weak storyline.

Women in the 50's were FAR more powerful. They expressed the natural power of femininity. Look at films like Cleopatra or Gone with the Wind. Men were told to respect women, as women.

Most people don't understand that Feminism is actually Anti-feminine. It tells women that their natural femininity is sick and degraded, and the only way to power is by imitating men. The result is that modern women are pale caricatures of men.

Women don't even stick up for each other anymore. How could any woman allow a man to take away so many accomplishments and records that women have EARNED. It really pisses me off.

Wokeism is activism. Nor needed - nor wanted but yet here we are. The revisionist era: when facts doesnt matter, preserving the original authors work - doesnt matter or is completely rejected. It is a form of brainwashing. Very few people actually want it because it transforms everything into garbage nonsense in the end. Films, books, artwork - and so on. It is a cosy echochamber for some - but garbage trash for most.
But when companies and people cant make money on it, it will eventually fade. When bad writers are fired and some studios in hollywoke and others - crashes and burn they will stop or at least tone it down eventually. It has already happened. What was destroyed in a blink of an eye, can take decades to restore though - if ever....bad business model I think. Look at comics and movies - its been a wild ride. Bad ride but still a ride. Clowns do clown stuff....
If this apply to Fallout the movie - I dont know....but with stats in hand - prolly. I whish it were not however. We need movies to be escapistic and fictional in some sense (or drama and documentaries for some facts and knowledge or just to get insight or explore som emotional reflections)....especially if stems from a game (escapism). I dont need to be force fed with writers political agendas - it has nothing to do with Fallout story/fiction at all. Writers personally political views is not tied to the original nor is it ever needed. But I would not be suprised they cant resist the urge....and insert something wierd at all. Unhinged movie script writing is the current day norm. The narcissistic tendencies IS the norm. Big brain egos in top positions can only corrupt, not create today. Lets see, at least we have a trashfire to watch if it turns out bad, a FO4 game to play and our own stories attached to it....so if the movie is bad, it doesnt matter. The original still stands and is fun to play and has tons of lore and stories embedded to explore - if you like FO4 that is.
Movies based on games rarely are good anyways. Most of them cant be transformed properly from one media it is really hard to do for some reason. Woke or nonwoke doesnt matter...it is just hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back