Official trailer for The Grand Tour proves former Top Gear trio hasn't lost comedic edge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The debut of The Grand Tour, Amazon’s highly anticipated automotive-themed show featuring former Top Gear hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, is roughly six weeks away at this point.

Picking up right where the launch date trailer left off is a brand new promo spot running a minute and a half long that effectively squashes any doubt that the trio may have lost their comedic edge. That’s certainly good news for Amazon chief Jeff Bezos who revealed last year that landing the deal was “very, very expensive.”

Sources close to the matter told The Financial Times that it cost Amazon $250 million for a 36-episode series spanning three years, or nearly $7 million an episode.

The show was originally thought to be an Amazon Prime exclusive but that may not be the case. Business Insider reported last month that Amazon has a secret arrangement in place that may allow Amazon to sell the rights to the show after it debuts on Prime Video.

If true, the move could help offset production costs and make The Grand Tour available in regions where Prime Video isn’t offered. Top Gear had a massive global following as evident by the fact that it was named the most watched factual TV program by the Guinness World Records in 2012.

Thus far, however, Amazon has said that they have no interest in sub-licensing the show.

Permalink to story.

BBC really blew it. What's more, they fully know it now, only it is too late.

They killed their biggest cash cow over Jeremy's regular fracas. Dumb-a$$es, they should have fired the producer instead, he was the one disposable, not the golden trio.

Last edited:
BBC really blew it. What's more, they fully know it now, only it is too late.

They killed their cache cow over Jeremy's regular fracas. Dumb-a$$es. Should have fired the producer instead.

Yep. The producer KNEW exactly what kind of guy Clarkson was - he'd dealt with him for ages. It was all cool until the greedy laywers started whispering in that Irishman's ear. Clarkson should have voluntarily taken some bulls**t sensitivity training, paid the guy a cool mil under the table and all would have been forgiven. But noooo, they had to let the snakes into the garden and ruin everything.

Well the preview looks awesome... looks like the same ole' stuff.

BBC is pretty damn greedy anyway, so good riddance I say. Hopefully Amazon won't be dicks when it comes to distribution of the show.

Clarkson being sacked is most likely the best thing that happened to them... It gave them publicity and an easier start of something fresh (yeah TG was getting a bit stale). They brainstormed on their little project for a while now and them leaving was inevitable imho. They need a large budget for their stupidly crazy ideas, thats for sure.

These guy are a bunch of clowns anyways, you can't take them seriously, I am looking forward to avoiding this show until it dies it's natural death, or one of the aged hosts do.

Yes, and the floor, and the ceiling and the walls...what's that got to do with the price of tea?
My wife and I watched the old top gear show twice and I watched it a third time alone.
The first time we kept looking at each other asking if they were really that stupid or is it a joke.
We watched again thinking anyone can have a bad day and maybe that was theirs. the second show we watched was even worse, total stupidity and extremely boring. I am an auto enthusiast and these guy give the auto industry a black eye. I enjoy motorweek and subscribe to a few auto magazines and collect classic and sports cars. Several of my cars have won first place in shows across the country. The show had no interest for me however due to the inane antics of the hosts.
I then watched a third episode alone to see if I was missing something, or if the show grows on you. It didn't. I take cars and collecting seriously and to these *****s everything is a bad pun. I could never respect any of them as any kind of intelligent human being because they don't seem to respect themselves or each other.
Well, you know where the door is.

You have valid reasons and I respect that. Millions of people though happen to like these three and their inane antics and terrible puns though, and most of us know it is just BS.... just entertainment. Anyone who takes the show seriously is probably just as likely to believe everything a car salesman tells them. A majority of which would probably be lies. There are just naive people out there.

Back