'Ok Google' voice activated search arrives on desktop Chrome

Jos

TS Evangelist
Google voice search has been available through Chrome on the desktop for a while, but now the company is bringing the feature a little closer to parity with mobile by releasing a “hotword” extension that puts the browser in listening...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/54833-ok-google-voice-activated-search-arrives-on-desktop-chrome.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
It may appeal to some but you'll never catch me speaking to my computer unless I'm busy cussing it. Speaking to a device is something I'll never get used to. firstly, you can't have an intelligent conversation with it (like a lot of people I meet so I should be used to that) and secondly you look like a chump. It can come in handy for mobile devices while you're driving but apart from that I'll stick to what works best for me, a keyboard.

Chuck Cortes

TS Rookie
It may appeal to some but you'll never catch me speaking to my computer unless I'm busy cussing it. Speaking to a device is something I'll never get used to. firstly, you can't have an intelligent conversation with it (like a lot of people I meet so I should be used to that) and secondly you look like a chump. It can come in handy for mobile devices while you're driving but apart from that I'll stick to what works best for me, a keyboard.
I like the idea, it can come in handy in situations where you need to do a quick search and speaking is easier than clicking. I understand your opinion on speaking to devices but with the Xbox One making voice recognition a more common thing in the house and with Android doing the same with their phones and tablets thru Kitkat 4.4, I can see this becoming normal. Specially if you;re a Star Trek fan, like me.

Reactions: Skidmarksdeluxe
G

"Google, show me where your leaders are so that we can arrest them for crimes against humanity."

I knew there was a good use for Google Maps!

Littleczr

TS Guru
I understand your perspective, but sitting in your room and quickly saying, "Ok, google how many inches in a foot", is way easier then typing it. I do agree I is kind of scary and silly like if some one catches ups talking to our PC.

Skidmarksdeluxe

TS Evangelist
I understand your perspective, but sitting in your room and quickly saying, "Ok, google how many inches in a foot", is way easier then typing it. I do agree I is kind of scary and silly like if some one catches ups talking to our PC.
I suppose if you get used to it and everybody does it you won't feel like such a imbecile. It can be handy as you say but I don't know...