Ok to use RAM not on mobo's QVL?

Hi guys had a quick question concerning my current build for my PC. Here how it looks so far,

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Ram: X2
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL Processor:
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX
SSD: Kingston Hyper 240GB
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
DVD Drive: ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
Power Supply: CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Case: NZXT Crafted Series Phantom Black / Green Trim Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Also plan on running Windows 7 64 bit.

As for my question, I read some odd reviews concerning the motherboard and larger amounts of RAM. I looked and found that the RAM I planned on putting in was not on the QVL list. Does this mean that if it is not on this list it will not be recognized by the motherboard? Or is the RAM I have selected ok to use? This is also my first PC I plan on building so any advice on the components would be very helpful. Thanks.

The i5 3570K is only $25 more than the FX-8150 and a comparable Z77 motherboard isn't too much more either. At those prices there's not really any reason to go for the FX-8150 which is slower and uses a lot more power.

Regarding the SSD I'd go for a Crucial m4 over the Sandforce based Kingston for the same price.

I agree with the above, but I understand going for a AMD setup if that's your personal preference. It's highly unlikely that you'd need all of the 240GB for an SSD either, you could easily get away with 120/128MB versions. I second the Crucial M4 as well, that's an awesome SSD.

The RAM should be fine, but 32GB isn't really necessary for most computer builds, unless you're planning on heavy CAD or Photoshop work, or the likes.

I'd also change the PSU, I'm really not a fan of the CX series by Corsair. The Corsair HX/VX/AX/GS series are much, much better. I'd also highly recommend the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620 and HCG-620M versions as well.

Yeah I was trying to go a full AMD setup going, and thanks man that's good to hear that the RAM should work. I was able to buy most of my components from the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals that where going on so I actually got some really good prices for most of them. This was the main concern with the setup I had going, I could return the parts and replace them with others, but lose out on the savings.

Yeah I was trying to go a full AMD setup going
Unless you're REALLY a fan of AMD I wouldn't get that FX-8150 unless it's a good deal cheaper than the i5 3570K. An Intel CPU with an AMD GPU will work fine, I have that setup myself.

Only the low end FX processors make sense to buy imo.

Back