Old PC crash, cannot enter BIOS

Tedster

I have an old MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard with a Athlon 3200+ CPU. Recently, the computer started acting flakey and it finally crashed and would not POST. I suspected a bad PSU.

The following troubleshooting has been done.

1. replaced PSU with a new, working one. PC posts, passes memory test but does not proceed further. cannot enter BIOS when holding DEL key.

2. disconnected hard drives. jumpered CMOS battery. PC Posts, splash screen defaults, cannot enter BIOS when holding DEL key.

3. removed CMOS battery. PC Posts, splash screen defaults, cannot enter BIOS when holding DEL key.

I don't know what else to do. I am concerned the mobo might be fried. I really don 't want to throw a whole lot of money in this 6 year old computer as it is so ancient. The only thing left is to remove the wifi card and fax card.

update: took out all extra cards. also tested ram cards one by one (all 3) still the same. I even changed keyboards. I think the mobo is toast, but I do welcome suggestions.

Maybe the RAM isn't really passing the test. If the BIOS is set for quick boot, doesn't it skip the memory test? If so, try using one RAM stick at a time as see if it changes anything. If you have access to any other compatible RAM to test with, that might help. I don't know if that would affect the inability to enter the BIOS but that's all I can think of to try at the moment.

yup - did that already. I tried just one stick of ram at a time. I still can't enter bios. The d-bracket led gives me some kind of error related to the mobo. I think the failed PSU took out the motherboard. I have since ordered a replacement, but this mobo is really hard to find nowadays. I'm salvaging everything else and crossing my fingers.

caps appear ok. It could be the Bios rom is jacked, but I went ahead and bought another board. I couldn't find a deluxe version of the set like I had as the board is quite old, but I did find a slightly lesser model. I never overclocked anyway so the deluxe feature was moot. I just used it as a spare computer and my new computer runs win 7 which is incompatible with a lot of my older peripherals.

Back