Omate TrueSmart watch places calls, texts without your smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’ve seen one smartwatch, you’ve seen them all – right? Not exactly. Virtually every smartwatch I’ve come across thus far primarily functions as an accessory to a smartphone but the Omate TrueSmart watch changes everything. That’s because it works as a standalone device that can place calls, send texts and even pair with Google Glass for a full-on wearable tech experience.

Hardware specifications include a 1.54-inch color display operating at a resolution of 240 x 240 pixels. It’s powered by a dual-core 1.3GHz Cortex A7 chip with 4GB of memory onboard (expandable up to 32GB via microSD) and there’s even a built-in 5-megapixel camera, GPS and a micro SIM card slot for 3G connectivity.

omate truesmart kickstarter smartwatch omate truesmart watch

The watch runs Android 4.2.2 underneath Omate’s custom overlay which means it can be rooted with ease should you decide to go that route. Additionally, the TrueSmart carries a protection rating of IP67 meaning it’s protected from dust and can withstand being submerged in water up to three feet deep for 30 minutes.

On the company’s Kickstarter page, they describe the TrueSmart as more than just a watch or a Bluetooth accessory. That may be true but there’s one glaring fault that I can’t help but overlook here – you’ll need a separate wireless plan to use it as a fully standalone device (at least in the US).

That’s an expensive proposition and unless you’re prepared to have a watch replace your phone, it’d probably be best to use the TrueSmart as a smartphone companion over Bluetooth for now.

Of course, that realization is doing little to deter support on Kickstarter as the project has already blown past its initial goal of $100,000 in just one day. You’ll need to invest at least $189 to guarantee you’ll be one of the first to receive the TrueSmart when it ships this November.

Permalink to story.

Hey if I could create a wifi hotspot with it and connect my tablet to this to get internet, then I don't need a smartphone anymore, and I don't have to carry my tablet with me unless I want internet. That seems more practical than carrying just a smart phone, or a smart phone and a tablet, or putting a data plan on a tablet which you would always have to carry with you if you want to make a phone call.

I like this idea actually...

I like smart, mp3, camera watches etc. Alas they always seem to be too big. I want a normal sized watch with those capabilities.

While the 'feature' seems first to be seen at this 'omate truesmart watch', it is already seen in the 'viber for windows' program.
viber for windows can make calls and text messages.

"A dual-core 1.3GHz Cortex A7 chip with 4GB of memory onboard"
Damn. And to think my old Intel 286 with 256 Kb ram & 20 Mb HDD desktop (that couldn't wrap around my wrist) was the bees knees. It wasn't that long ago either.

I would only consider if it had a standardized battery, one that I could replace with ease after a year or two. With that said; this watch would suit my need just fine, as I don't need a smart phone.

I would like to know how difficult it would be, to send messages with a device this small.

I would only consider if it had a standardized battery, one that I could replace with ease after a year or two. With that said; this watch would suit my need just fine, as I don't need a smart phone.

I would like to know how difficult it would be, to send messages with a device this small.

We're right here to answer your questions, so here we go!

The battery is replaceable. We'll be posting video's on the basic features and apps on the TrueSmart. Keep an eye on our Kickstarter/Facebook/Google+ page!

"A dual-core 1.3GHz Cortex A7 chip with 4GB of memory onboard"
Damn. And to think my old Intel 286 with 256 Kb ram & 20 Mb HDD desktop (that couldn't wrap around my wrist) was the bees knees. It wasn't that long ago either.

Times have changed quickly haven't they ;) It feels like only yesterday that we were playing Choplifter on a Commodore 64...

Back