Onboard sound but 'No Audio Device' in device properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on son's Clevo laptop and they tell me they have not had sound for a very long time.

I check, download and install latest drivers from the Clevo website, but still no sound.

I have deleted all device drivers and allowed Windows to rediscover the drivers again - everything went well but found a PCI device that could not find drivers for so put the yellow Exclamation Mark - but still no Audio Device.

I checked the BIOS, there is no option to turn on/off the sound so I presume audio is turned on as everything is integrated, but still the Sounds and Audio Device Properties says that there are No Audio Devices. So either the device is faulty or there is some other way of being able to get the computer to recognise the Audio Devices.

If there is any suggestion(s) it would be greatly appreciated.

David

Sometimes kids overdrive the audio chips until they overheat and burn out. If burned out, it will not detect.
Might be time to disable the onboard sound and install an external sound card and software.

Let's try to get some more info
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Let's try to get some more info
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Thanks LookinAround...

I ran msinfo32 as suggested... nothing appeared in the Problem Devices area, (incidently, nothing appeared in the Sound Device area either).

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Here is the DirectX report for the laptop.
View attachment DxDiag.txt

Many thanx for any help you can offer.

David

Hmmm.. Let's try the following

• Look in Device Manager. I'm going to guess you no longer see any devices with Yellow Icons? yes? no?
  • Let me know above question, but regardless, i want you to look under Device Manager System Devices for Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. Rt click it, select uninstall to uninstall it. Then reboot your machine
  • Now check your sound again. If still a problem, try running the two reports again as you did before

Excuse the double post, but to clarify:

After you uninstall the UAA Bus Driver and reboot.. give the machine several minutes to finish startup to Windows desktop as i expect you will see some little pop-ups in lower right of your screen telling you drivers are being reinstalled.

> I expect you to see a pop-up msg first about UAA Bus Driver getting re-installed
> and then (with a bit-of-luck) after its reinstalled you should also see pop-ups about other Hi Def audio devices being installed as well;

In any case, let's see what happens

Similar Issues

I have an older emachines comp and am having similar problems. My computer cannot dectect an audo device.

I follwed the instructions LookinAround posted and have found a PCI device that apparently has no drivers, I do have a device/driver search engine installed on my machine and it tells me that all drivers are installed.

in regards to the list when msinfo32 is typed into run i get the following under problem devices;

PCI Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668&SUBSYS_4037107B&REV_03\3&11583659&0&D8 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I have tried searhing for the drivers but with no success.

Is there any help anyone can offer.

Kind Regards,

Sigh22

Of course you have the audio device if you have a sound port from the motherboard pointing out the back of your computer.

Give us the brand and model of the computer, brand and model number of motherboard, or the model numbers off the motherboard, and the numbers off the chips on it... and we can help you look it up.

Or use Belarc Advisor, Everest, CPUID, CPU-Z, ClearApps, WMIAudit, PXServer, SystemHound, or other free hardware inventory program to produce a screen printout of your system configuration.

<snip>
PCI Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2668&SUBSYS_4037107B&REV_03\3&11583659&0&D8 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Hi Sigh22

1) Tell us the make and model of your computer (emachine you said?) and what version Windows and SP level is installed
2) However.... my guess just based on the PCI device you listed above, I'm going to guess part of your problem is you are running XP SP2 or earlier???? You're missing a Microsoft driver that can be manually added to XP SP2 but IMHO, you're best to upgrade to SP3
> The driver you need comes already packaged in XP SP3 plus
> MS has stopped support for XP SP2 so is good to upgrade in any case

Do backup all your stuff (or better yet - create a hard drive image clone backup) first. SP3 upgrades are smooth 99% of the time... but your own mileage may vary :)

thanks for all the help so far,

didnt realise i was runnin on SP2, i am now on SP3. i have downloaded the PCI driver but i still have no sound, i tried downloading the k-lite codec pack, but still no success, any futher help or advice?

thanks again,

Try running the msinfo32 Problem Report again. Let's see if the same PCI device appears or not.

Now that you have the driver installed for it, i would guess it should have disappeared and, in its place, you might now see some HDAUDIO hardware IDs. In any case, try running it again and post the result. If you ARE seeing HDAUDIO IDs, it means you now need to download and reinstall the audio drivers for your computer.

(fyi. for anyone who might come across this thread.. High Definition audio device chips/chipsets, by definition, must connect to an audio bus controller. If the audio bus controller driver is missing or not working, as was in this case, Windows can't "see" the Hi Def devices which connect to it until the audio bus controller and its driver are both working.

/* edit */
Note: This only applies to the current Hi Def audio standard. This is NOT true for older AC97. Audio bus controllers didn't exist for the old AC97 sound standard

Still no joy....

the PCI has gone from the msinfo as you expected, but no HD audio has com in its place, in the system informantion it now says i have 2 audio devices;

1) Realtek High Definition Audio
2) Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Both status say "ok"
I reinstalled the drivers but to no avail.

Something i thought would be worth mentioning that when i try to run a video the fault that comes up is;

K:\Movies\Against the Dark.avi::Audio 1
MPEG-1 Audio Decoder::Out
Audio Switcher::Out

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Audio: PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM {00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 18

WAVEFORMATEX:
wFormatTag: 0x0001
nChannels: 2
nSamplesPerSec: 48000
nAvgBytesPerSec: 192000
nBlockAlign: 4
wBitsPerSample: 16
cbSize: 0 (extra bytes)

pbFormat:
0000: 01 00 02 00 80 bb 00 00 00 ee 02 00 04 00 10 00 ....€»...î......
0010: 00 00

thanks again ..

the PCI has gone from the msinfo as you expected, but no HD audio has com in its place,
So, to double check, you're saying nothing currently appears when you run Problem Device Report, right?
in the system informantion it now says i have 2 audio devices;

Both status say "ok"
I reinstalled the drivers but to no avail.
Sounds like the drivers are installed OK now so maybe something else must be now interfering

Also, i'm not really familiar with how to interpret your movie player error message so i'm going to stick to trying to figure out if/why your basic Windows sounds audio are or aren't first working

And am glad to try and help :)

1) Could you tell me the make/model of your computer?
2) Per above, you're saying no Problem Devices are currently reported, right?
3) Click Control Panel->Sound
> On the audio tab, make sure the default playback is set to your Realtek Hi Def audio
> On the sounds tab, can you select a system sound (like Asterisk), can you click the Play button (the triangular button you'll see towards bottom of window). Do you hear any sound? (Also, to double check, you've checked and mute isn't checked?)
4) Are you relying on internal speakers? Are you plugging in speakers?

If still problems, Generate and attach a DirectX report

1) My computer is an emachines 8230

2) within msinfo there are no problem devices.

3) I tried to play a sound with no success, I did however notice that there is still no sound device detected/selected. the HD audio device is listed in the componants (in the hardware tab) but it is not selected as the default device. When I tried to change the default device the only option is a device listed is "Modem #0 Line Playback", do you have any idea how I can search for new devices in the audio tab?

4) I use external speakers for my machine

I have attached the dxdiag report

thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    46 KB · Views: 1
When all the hardware/software audio things are working (audio drivers, hardware OK, Windows services, etc) THEN you should see and be able to choose Realtek as an audio playback option. So, is still proof somethings wrong

Next puzzle: you earlier said
the PCI has gone from the msinfo as you expected, but no HD audio has com in its place, in the system informantion it now says i have 2 audio devices;

Based on that, i'd expect to see Realtek High Definition Audio in your DxDiag as well but it's not. Your DxDiag report only shows the modem (which is consistent with you only seeing the modem in audio playback pulldown tab)

Let's look for Realtek in msinfo32 again. Where did you see Realtek listed before and do you STILL see it listed?? Or has it disappeared? In msinfo32, look under Components->Sound Device also Modem and copy/paste the info you see in those categories
Do you see still see Realtek somewhere?

Let's also look in Device Manager, In DevMgr, click View->Devices by Connection. (see my example below) Expand ACPI categories and the PCI bus.
> Look for the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for Hi Def Audio (this was the PCI Problem device we fixed earlier by upgrading to SP3)
> When you expand it, you should see your Realtek connected to it (In my own example, you'll see I have Soundmax)
> Is Realtek there? Rt click Properties. On the General tab, is its status still = OK?

If Realtek has disappeared, check your BIOS settings. Check for something like an Onboard Audio setting. Is it set to Enable????

In my own example, look for my audio bus controller and Hi Def sound card listed towards the bottom of the window
devmgrsound.jpg

/* edit */
And if Realtek HAS disappeared from msinfo32, check Problem Device Reports to see if anything is appearing there now

dont mind what im doing jes want to achieve the minimum ten posts to send a visitor message t someone thanks fro understanding

Wow. You have quite a puzzling set of facts.

In fact, yes, your Sys Info and DevMgr both show Windows does find the audio hardware and the drivers for it are, in fact, installed and running with Status=OK. So it's not clear why DxDiag doesn't show your Realtek device (or why it's not appearing in Sound->Audio tab)

I'm going to suggest a couple things

1. At any point, you can make sure it's not a hardware issue with your computer (vs. just a Windows problem). See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]. Follow its instructions to create a Knoppix CD. Then boot into Knoppix (an alternate and free Operating System). You'll find a media player in Knoppix. Use it to play a music CD or something. If sound plays under Knoppix, you'll know your computer hardware is fine (and it's a Windows problem)

2. Also interesting: Your SysInfo just reminded me you have a webcam installed. On rare occasion, The web cam can actually affect the sound card (they're both in the same Windows device class= MEDIA). So this is worth a shot
> Try uninstalling your web cam (look for it in Add/Remove Programs)
> Then uninstall Realtek (Look first through Add/Remove Programs as i'm guessing your audio sound has an entry there. Remove it via Add/Remove Programs)
> Reboot
> Reinstall just Realtek (by the way, do you have the latest Realtek driver?)

If all this troubleshooting is getting too painful you might also consider another XP reinstall (after you at first use Knoppix to prove the hardware is OK). But this time complete the SP3 install first. After which you can install Realtek and test your sound. And then reinstall the web cam

/* edit */
And, if you choose to go the reinstall route and want to extra cautious, you might even create a hard drive image backup / clone of your current stuff just so you can still get back to where you are if need as well as backup all your stuff before the reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back