Onboard sound not working

Hi everyone!

My onboard sound isn't working anymore. My PSU went out awhile back (3+ yrs ago) and I just recently put a new one in and have updated everything. The last time the computer was working though the sound had worked.

Currently though In the "sounds and audio devices" it says "no audio device". My SoundMax Integrated and Digital Audio gives me the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" that a lot of other people seem to get. I've done the services.msc and made sure the Windows Audio was running which it is. I've also uninstalled and re-installed drivers and nothing. Here are my system specs.....any help I can get would be great. Thanks!

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Compaq Presario
System Serial Number: 7P26KPXC80A0
Asset Tag: 7P26KPXC80A0
Chassis Serial Number: 7P26KPXC80A0

Processor:
1.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board:
Board: Compaq 07A8h
Serial Number: 7P26KPXC80A0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686P9 v1.10 04/17/2002

I would just install a separate PCi sound card, sounds like the on board chip is shot.

First thing i'd try:

Look in Add/Remove programs as you will probably find an Uninstall entry there which will uninstall the driver plus SoundMax control panel applet. Then go to the Compaq website to download and reinstall the latest SoundMax version for your machine.

Let us know...

Ok, I looked in the Add/Remove Programs and I don't see anything that has to do with the SoundMax Control Panel Applet.

In that case, i'd look in Device Manager under sound for the SoundMax sound card. Is it there? Rt click Uninstall. Then download and reintall

If there's still a problem after reinstall:

Check Problem Devices report
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Problem Devices Report

PS/2 Compatible Mouse ACPI\PNP0F13\4&268D196D&0 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2445&SUBSYS_008C0E11&REV_05\3&61AAA01&0&FD This device cannot start.

Direct X Repot - Attached

FYI: I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    39.8 KB · Views: 3
Hmmmm... This is a tough one. A few comments

> I see you're already running XP SP3
> I also see you have a Compaq Presario. What is the exact model number? (i can then double check you're downloading the latest driver)

I can't swear to it for every case but usually there's an entry in Add/Remove (it might be called IDT sound?) pertaining to Soundmax. You can also provide me a list of all your Add/Remove entries if you'd like me to review them, by downloading MyUninstaller and run it
> Click Edit->Select All then File->Save Selected
> In the file save pop-up, change the File Type (in the pull down menu) to be saved as a Tab Delimited File
> Give it a filename and save it. Then attach the file it to your next post (using the TechSpot paper clip icon)
> The file may not look very "readable" when it's saved, but it is when I import it to Excel

I'd try to assist/monitor in one more clean uninstall / reinstall. But since you keep getting Code 10 errors it also possibly be:
> Malware infections (can also interfere with drivers starting properly)
> Services (but you've already checked this i see in your post)
> Hardware (but we;ll address this later, if need be)

just fyi... if need be or troubleshooting gets to be a pain, you can google USB sound card to also find some pretty cheap USB addon sound options in addition to PCI options as fastco also advised

Back