Onboard soundcard stopped working, drivers won't install

ocalinkin

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to fix this random problem on my computer and I haven't been able to find any solution :(.

The only explanation that I can find is that startup got interrupted and something got screwed there, I haven't changed anything to the computer, no recent updates.

My computer:

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267) 2GB RAM VISTA64

Motherboard: Intel Dragontail Peak DP35DP (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (512 MB)

Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]

I tried:

- Reinstalling the drivers from the CD, it tries to install, and then says the device isn't present.
- Donloading drivers from Intel, same.
- Enabling, disabling on the BIOS, doesn't make a difference.
- Device manager doesn't even list any audio devices, when prompted to detect, can't find any. System info cannot detect any either, but Everest tools does detect it.

I would appreciate any help... this is a strange situation because I had the same happening on an HP laptop, no solution there either.

Would a different OS make a difference?
I am also thinking about buying a cheap PCI sound card, would that fix my problem?

Thank you in advance!

Ah, I had a similar problem once and nothing seemed to work.

In the end I convinced myself that it's time to format my HDD and reinstall my OS anyhow. lol

See if this helps [post=926040]Reference Guides to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

/* edit */
P.S. There are some pretty cheap USB sound cards available.. you might want to google it if it comes down to a new sound card

Ah, I had a similar problem once and nothing seemed to work.

In the end I convinced myself that it's time to format my HDD and reinstall my OS anyhow. lol

Did that fix it? I'm thinking about doing that and finally getting Windows 7 tomorrow :p

See if this helps [post=926040]Reference Guides to Help Setup and Troubleshoot Windows Audio and Sound Cards[/post]

/* edit */
P.S. There are some pretty cheap USB sound cards available.. you might want to google it if it comes down to a new sound card

Thanks! Sounds like a good option :)

Yep, it fixed my seemingly unsolvable audio issue and (of course) my PC was at its peak performance again. :)

To save yourself a headache when reinstalling all of your drivers, be sure to copy down your basic hardware info and model numbers. If this is your only PC then you might go ahead and put all of the driver installation files on a CD, especially if there is a driver available for you hard-drive.

One time I was doing a clean install of XP and it kept freezing at 41% or something like that. Turns out, there is a little option on the menu to load your HDD drivers prior to installing Windows.

Another approach when one reinstalls your current version of Windows (to help avoid the pain of hunting down missing drivers)

See [post=926364]How to backup your drivers (and reinstall them later if and when needed!)[/post]

Note this only applies when you reinstall the same Windows version (e.g. reinstall XP). This may not help if you're installing a new / different Windows version as different Windows versions sometimes (or often) require a different version of a driver

Bleh... frustrated

I just installed Windows 7, didn't work... I guess the last resort would be getting a new sound card. Do you think my onboard sound card might have burned or something like that? I'm assuming the PCI port is independent from that issue and there should be no problem, same for a USB sound card. What do you think? Thanks for your time.

have you tryied system restore?I once deleted the drivers (not on purpose of course) and system resotre fixed it.Then again you can try format

Yeah, I tried the drivers, from the CD and the website, both try to install and then show an error about the device not being present... :(

Yeah, I tried the drivers, from the CD and the website, both try to install and then show an error about the device not being present... :(

Ah-HA! "Not-present". That's telling... Assuming you;re trying to install the right drivers it likely means your audio controller chip and/or your sound card failed.

Skim through this thread No sound found on HP Pavillion dv6618ca. As you might also see if you can

> Toggle your sound card on/off in BIOS (and reboot each time) sometimes works
> Otherwise check ghost devices (per the thread). If your audio shows up as ghosts, then yea, is time for a new sound card

Yikes! Now I'm stumped too. Before you buy a PCI sound-card, let's see if Windows even sees your integrated audio device.

1.) Start
2.) Run
3.) type and enter "msinfo32"
4.) The System Information window will appear and on the left side click on "Components" to expand its menu.
5.) Does the Sound Device sub-menu recognize your integrated audio at all?

This audio issue didn't start when you installed a graphics card, did it?

EDIT: ... and try LookinAround's advice. lol

Ah-HA! "Not-present". That's telling... Assuming you;re trying to install the right drivers it likely means your audio controller chip and/or your sound card failed.

Skim through this thread No sound found on HP Pavillion dv6618ca. As you might also see if you can

> Toggle your sound card on/off in BIOS (and reboot each time) sometimes works
> Otherwise check ghost devices (per the thread). If your audio shows up as ghosts, then yea, is time for a new sound card

I just tried seeing the ghost devices from the guide... doesn't show any audio. Turning the sound card on and off in BIOS doesn't seem to make a difference either :(

Yikes! Now I'm stumped too. Before you buy a PCI sound-card, let's see if Windows even sees your integrated audio device.

1.) Start
2.) Run
4.) The System Information window will appear and on the left side click on "Components" to expand its menu.

Just tried that too, and when I click on Sound Devices it doesn't show anything. Although, when I was using Vista still, Everest Tools did show the existence of a sound card :S

And no, this problem happened out of nowhere, I didn't even install any program or update.

And once again, thank you guys for helping :)

1.) Start
2.) Run

hehe.. I was just about to logon to post "Try Pygmus' advice as well!" when i saw Pygmus' edit. We think alike :D

Back