One computer connects to WiFi & one will not.. :(

I own 2 laptops (both Toshiba). The older model will connect fine to the Netgear N-300 WNR 2000 & new comp will not. I finally made a new homegrp hoping that wold help, disabled firewall etc. Error I am getting is " Network cable unplugged". After I troubleshoot it sometimes allows me back online & shows me surrounding routers in the area. Why is it not even recognizing my neighbors routers 95% of the time? It isn't the comp as it works fine outside the home. Thanks for all help. Very frustrated. Can I delete and just start over and how?

" Network cable unplugged".
This suggests the PC is not looking at your wireless card it is only looking for a cable connection. Does the PC have an on off switch for the wireless card, make sure it is turned on.

Power off and remove the battery. Take the wireless card out and clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from side to side) reseat the card. Replace the battery and boot up. Look in Device Manager and check that the wireless card appears under Network Adapters and does not have a yellow ? or triangle next to it. Check on line for the most up to date drivers for your operating system and then uninstall the card in Device Manager and reinstall the fresh driver. Check again for connection.

If you find no obvious errors take the wireless card from the working PC and try that in it. You will have to install a different driver if the card is not identical. If that works then I think you can assume the card is defective.

Back