One of the greatest hockey games is getting updated with today's teams and rosters

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: The early response from consumers appears positive although we can’t help but hope that EA reconsiders and eventually makes this a standalone offering. I know plenty of people that would gladly plop down a few bucks for this trip down memory lane. And heck, why not make this an annual occasion? Surely it can’t be too difficult to update the roster each year.

Electronic Arts’ sports division on Friday announced a unique bonus for anyone that pre-orders NHL 21.

Retro gaming fans may recall NHL ’94 as one of the most iconic ice hockey games of all time. Launched on the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and Sega CD in 1993, the title was met with critical acclaim from reviewers for its realism, controls and playability. And fighting, it had fighting, and that was awesome.

Over the years, it developed a lasting legacy as one of the best sports games ever made.

NHL 94 Rewind is essentially the same game everyone knows and loves, except updated with today’s teams and rosters. And it’s apparently only going to be available as a pre-order bonus that’s playable starting October 30.

NHL 21 launches on October 13, 2020, for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

And still.... not on pc. It was so long ago it's hard to remmeber, but I think this is the one I first played on PC. That's where it all started for me.

Fighting was the best. Reminds me of early EA Sports FIFA games which had a (deliberate) professional foul you could trigger. It usually got your player sent off and wasn't worth it.

The best thing was to play against a friend, turn off the punishments in the options menu and then play games part football, part MMA. Who could foul the best, suffered the least injuries and avoided the most bad tackles. They won the game, usually ending with most players slowly limping around the pitch.

EA removed the 'feature' before long. Shame.

F$%K Blades of Steel and NHL pick a number.

NHL Hitz 2002 / 2003.

Thats the ones that need a sweet graphics and animation update, no change to the gameplay, maybe just some extra things to unlock.

I did like the EA NHL series, but not interested. Hitz was more fun, co-op goodness. Xbox Original.

Fighting was the best. Reminds me of early EA Sports FIFA games which had a (deliberate) professional foul you could trigger. It usually got your player sent off and wasn't worth it.

The best thing was to play against a friend, turn off the punishments in the options menu and then play games part football, part MMA. Who could foul the best, suffered the least injuries and avoided the most bad tackles. They won the game, usually ending with most players slowly limping around the pitch.

EA removed the 'feature' before long. Shame.

Original FIFA games my friend and I would always just crush the computer so we started playing the games by getting as many red cards as you could to reduce the number of players on our team to try and even the skill level and give the computer a chance.

After 3 or 4 red cards the game stopped giving them out and you could only trigger the occasional yellow card. We'd be laughing so hard at the take downs and tried to see which one of us could get the most red cards in a game. Even when down 3 or 4 players that didn't keep us from pummeling the crap out of the computer as we still beat them over and over again.

Back