OnePlus launches referral program in preparation for OnePlus 5 launch

Jos

Staff

OnePlus made a name for itself for building high end smartphones at relatively affordable prices by selling direct to consumers. With the OnePlus 5 expected to arrive in the coming weeks, possibly as soon as June 15, the company is kicking off its marketing efforts to drum up some hype.

Keeping true to its non conventional advertising channels in order to pass the savings on to customers, OnePlus is now launching a referral program whereby anyone who’s ever purchased a OnePlus smartphone directly from OnePlus can sign up and get a shareable link to pass on to others. your friends or family use the link to buy a smartphone from OnePlus, they’ll receive $20 (or an equivalent amount in their local currency) off an accessory of their choosing, and you'll get 100 referral points that can be used toward an accessory, discount on a phone, or exclusive OnePlus gear.

OnePlus says the referral hub is constantly going to be updated with new stuff to get.

When the first OnePlus smartphone came out the company implemented an invite system to make sure it kept production as close as possible to actual demand. Intentional or not, the artificial scarcity along with the high end internals and cheap price made the phone very popular.

But as competition rose from Chinese manufacturers making high end phones and operating on razor thin margins, it no longer made sense to keep this system in place. OnePlus finally ditched their invite system with the OnePlus 3 last year, so anyone that wanted to purchase a device could do it with relative ease.

The new campaign tries to go back to OnePlus’ roots by relying on word-of-mouth marketing, though it remains to be seen if OnePlus’ upcoming flagship has what it takes to battle it out with today’s top smartphones. Not much is known about the device at this point, the company did confirm that it’s working with DxOMark for the OnePlus 5’s camera and shared the image above on Twitter along with a little teaser: "Can you tell which photo was taken with the OnePlus 5?".

Permalink to story.

I hope picture 1 was taken with the new phone, because number 2 looks over saturated and unrealistic. Actual picture quality wise, they are the same.

Am I missing something? What happened to the OnePlus 4?

They could possibly canned the name since 4 is considered linking with death the way it is pronounced in Japanese (even though the company is Chinese). Or someone can't count.

Am I missing something? What happened to the OnePlus 4?

According to some leading technology blogs, some Asian countries believe four is a number that brings ill luck. This syndrome is called Tetraphobia or the fear of four. According to Wikipedia, Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin si) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" or "decease" (死 pinyin sǐ).

So, if OnePlus comes with 4, it will be called OnePlus Death, which obviously wouldn't be wise to call a flagship phone, no matter how hipster-like it may sound.

I hope picture 1 was taken with the new phone, because number 2 looks over saturated and unrealistic. Actual picture quality wise, they are the same.
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. Both photographs would satisfy me just fine. I'm not very fussy about cameras on phones, just as long as they take decent snaps without having to fiddle with settings for hours on end.

According to some leading technology blogs, some Asian countries believe four is a number that brings ill luck. This syndrome is called Tetraphobia or the fear of four. According to Wikipedia, Number 4 (四; accounting 肆; pinyin si) is considered an unlucky number in Chinese because it is nearly homophonous to the word "death" or "decease" (死 pinyin sǐ).

So, if OnePlus comes with 4, it will be called OnePlus Death, which obviously wouldn't be wise to call a flagship phone, no matter how hipster-like it may sound.

Thanks for the answer! I find it so funny that we're technologically advanced enough that a phone like this will pack in literally billions of transistors, find any information you could dream of and connect you to anyone on the planet, but people still get panicky about unlucky digits. C'mon people...

Back