Online games crash PC

Hey all. I had this same problem about a year ago playing FFXIV and now its happening playing MWO. Both online games. Sometimes I can play for hours without any issue and then noise from my speakers and monitor goes black and computer crashes and usually turns itself off after about 10 seconds or else I have to hit reset and then power off and then I can turn my pc back on. After it happens once it seems to keep happening every 5-10 minutes of gaming online.

Now the interesting thing is I can play the new Doom in ultra settings for hours offline and never a crash. Black Mesa, Stellaris, the new Master of Orion, and other offline games seem to give me no issue. I can also run 3dMark and Catzilla w/o crashing as well it seems. Some of these games are CPU intensive and others GPU intensive.

My system:
Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i5-4690k
Ram: 16gb of Ballistix 1600 dd3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 OC Edition
PSU: 700 Cougar semi-modular (brand new from my 620 semi modular as I thought it was a PSU issue but wasn't)

Temps are all well within range under load going from 60-65c pushing 67c for GPU at tops and 60-64c for CPU under heavy load. Memory has passed numerous extended windows memory tests (win10 64 bit btw but was happening under Win7 last round). I had the game first installed on one Kingston SSD but as a try I transfered it to my main Samsung SSD that has the OS as well and still problem.

What gets me is that it seems to only effect an online game and lower settings doesn't fix anything yet offline games so far have had no issues at all.

I really hope someone can help as I don't wish to dump any more money to not fix the issue as I wasted on a new PSU when my old was quality and apparently not the problem.

Sure sounds like a thermal problem to me. Since it only happens with online, I wonder if it could be your internet components.

Consider a second adapter card. Not much money.

Sure sounds like a thermal problem to me. Since it only happens with online, I wonder if it could be your internet components.

Consider a second adapter card. Not much money.

It sounds like it would be thermal but I checked my logs a dozen times over and even started tabbing out to check. Not a thermal issue at all as far as CPU and GPU go plus that its crazy I can play the new Doom for hours on ultra settings and still no crash.

I'll look through my old component box and see if I have an old network card laying around.

Yes, I was thinking it might be a temperature issue with the LAN electronics - the CPU/GPU sound solid. Could be as simple as a flaky solder joint - when the chip warms up, it loses connection. I do not think there is a sensor on the LAN IC - so no way to monitor.

Have you ever had an issue with a big download and/or upload?

Yes, I was thinking it might be a temperature issue with the LAN electronics - the CPU/GPU sound solid. Could be as simple as a flaky solder joint - when the chip warms up, it loses connection. I do not think there is a sensor on the LAN IC - so no way to monitor.

Have you ever had an issue with a big download and/or upload?

My ISP throttling me pretty hard but not really. However where I live its rated the worst internet in SE Asia and its fairly low ranking among developing countries. Totally horrible internet.

Back