Only 29% of core gamers to purchase next-gen console at launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest report from research firm NPD Group reveals that just 29 percent of core gamers are planning on buying a next generation console as soon as they become available. Those aren’t exactly the sort of numbers that Microsoft and Sony were probably hoping to hear but if recently releases from Nintendo and Sony in the form of the Wii U and PS Vita are any indication, they could be pretty accurate.

NDP Group polled more than 6,000 people in the survey but only 887 qualified for their definition of a core gamer. Core gamers are described as players over the age of nine that play games for five or more hours per week on an Xbox 360, PS3, PC or Mac. Furthermore, they must play at least one game that fits into any of the following genres: play action, adventure, fighting, flight, massively multi-player, racing, real time strategy, role-playing, shooter or sports game.

npd group npd

In January, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai said sales of the PS Vita were on the low end of expectations and just last month, the company announced plans to slash the price of the portable gaming system by as much as 33 percent in Japan. Sony said the move was a result of feeling increased competition from free and cheap games sold on smartphones and tablets.

I would venture a guess that a lot of the success of next generation consoles hinges on the initial launch price. If Sony and Microsoft are dead set on launching at a price point that’s deemed too expensive, odds are it’ll be some time before they are able to make strides on the new platforms.

Permalink to story.

Pretty meaningless survey. I "might" buy all sorts of stuff this Christmas too. Wait until the systems show up, the advertising is going full blast and kids start screaming at their parents that their best friends have one, how come they don't.

They'll sell plenty of these units, no two ways about it...

I do agree with what TomSEA posted here. I have not been asked in this survey and I am planning to get one of these next-gen consoles.

This study was done in the US only pretty much. There's a big console world outside the U.S. you know.

Definitely going to get the new xbox the second it comes out.. unless my second job falls through then I need money for food

Like many people I've fallen on hard financial times recently, and considering how horrible the job market it is it makes sense that only 29% are up to drop between $400-$500 for a new toy. I've also noticed a huge increase in PC gamers, at least in the 20-30 age group. Most people realize they need a PC for work regardless, why not throw in a $150-$200 GPU, and skip consoles entirely. Considering the next gen consoles GPU power is equal to todays $150 Graphics cards... I think this might be the generation most people will skip.

That sure as hell won't be me. I've gotten quite comfortable playing my games a year or more after launch, and saved quite a lot of money in the process.

I'm buying at release, but will probably get a ps4 once the price drops. Tbh it's not even the price the problem, but rather the plethora of problems 1st generation always end up with...

If I'm in a good financial spot, I might. Well... as long as they have the proper incentives and games :p

I suppose I don't qualify as a 'core gamer. Although I play for an hour or two most days it's PC only and then it's only single player. I don't have any interest whatsoever in any console. I also only buy games when they hit basement bargain status apart from the GTA & Assassins Creed series.
As alluded to earlier, it's a stupid survey.

They need to sell these consoles at around 400$. Anymore and it will not sell well this winter.

But in the end it all depends on what they will have available on lunch. Sony showed us that they will have lots of good games and I'm sure they will show more games at E3. Let's see what microsoft has.

There are three reasons why I won't be buying right away. The first being that the consoles seam to be glitchy and break often when first released. Second, the quality of the graphics at release are hardly better than the previous generation (look at Halo 3 and then look at Halo 4). And lastly the price is to high and will come down in a year.

Already got my next gen console. The Wii-U! :)
Although, I do plan on buying a PS4 when it's released.
You'd have to pay me to buy an Xbox.

We deny we'll ever buy the newest toy, and then we're always the first in line when it arrives.

Already got my next gen console. The Wii-U! :)
Although, I do plan on buying a PS4 when it's released.
You'd have to pay me to buy an Xbox.
The WiiU is disappointingly not a next gen console. it is the catchup to the 360 and PS3. It is actually weaker than both of them still

I have a hard time getting excited when it comes to buying a new console. I know the games are expensive, but what really bothers me is that I'll need to buy additional controllers for the family since the accessory market is where they make up a lot of their income.

I know with 100% certainty that I am getting PS4 and Xbox 720. The wife has already given me permission.

I heard a rumor that the Xbox Kinect 2.0 will be a mandatory connection to play these games and be online. I have an issue with this simply because of privacy, I don't want anyone peeking through the lens of my Xbox Kinect and spying on me. How about the microphone? That thing picks up everything!

Simply put, if either of the newest consoles require some sort of monitoring to be online, I'm out.

Silly survey really....most core gamers are more allied to the pc....If they had surveyed the more numerous "middle ground" they would have got more promising results.

I class myself as a core gamer and would "like" to get both consoles as I don't wish to miss out on exclusive game titles, killzone, mag and the halo series to name a few. But really don't think I can justify the expense for just a handful of titles, certainly my current xbox360 has sat idle for at least the last 2 years even though I've kitted it out with the latest gadgets to enable mouse and keyboard use (xim3) which cost more than the console itself......I got wooed back to the pc by better graphics, cheaper games and no yearly xboxlive subscription.

Lol hardcore gamers are "over the age of 9"

Because $399 and $499 is like a million bucks to them. So of COURSE they aren't planning to buy another system especially if Mom and Dad says "It already plays Call of Duty."

Back