Only high-end iPhone 12 Pro Max will support mmWave 5G, source claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: During any other year, Apple would normally be sending out invitations by now for a press gathering to reveal its next generation of iPhones. With Covid-19 still lingering, however, this year’s reveal will almost certainly be limited to an online broadcast. We’ve also heard rumors that production delays stemming from the virus could push back the unveiling or lead to a staggered launch across the new product line.

Apple’s upcoming iPhone 12 lineup is expected to support 5G connectivity across the board but as you likely know, not all 5G is the same.

Namely, there are two different kinds of 5G – the faster millimeter wave variant and sub-6GHz spectrum which is slower but can travel further and better penetrate objects like walls.

According to one wireless industry source speaking to Fast Company, only Apple’s highest-end iPhone 12 will support the speedier mmWave 5G. The reasoning apparently comes down to real estate – only the largest model, tentatively known as the iPhone 12 Pro Max, has the space required to accommodate the mmWave antenna and the larger battery needed to offset its power draw.

What’s more, the source claims the mmWave-enabled iPhone 12 will only be sold in the US, Korea and Japan. This makes sense considering the cutting-edge tech isn’t well established globally.

For now, however, all we can do is wait and see what Apple’s next move is.

Image credit: Trmk, TPROduction

Permalink to story.

I am going to buy iphone 12 but the 5G capabilities are the least of my concern.

I just want more than 512GB.

iPhone is my go to camera for vlogging and Live-streaming.

iPhone 12 Pro.. Max? Man, phone names just keep getting dumber each year...

Namely, there are two different kinds of 5G – the faster millimeter wave variant and sub-6GHz spectrum which is slower but can travel further and better penetrate objects like walls.
This is the part that I just don't get. If a millimeter wave 5G signal can't penetrate a wall or even a simple pane of glass, then how is millimeter wave 5G of any use to anyone? You could be talking on the phone and turn the corner or walk into a coffee shop and your call drops. Tell me again how this is useful?

Speeds are fine and all but the network must be reliable in order for it to be useful. Even Verizon Wireless who has been on the millimeter 5G train from the very beginning of all of this is now trying to buy up lower frequency spectrum and is right now fighting with T-Mobile to get that spectrum.

Why? Because they've probably realized that millimeter 5G is useless and that having to put an antenna on every light post and electric poll is going to get mighty expensive.

So yeah... I'm not surprised that only the highest end iPhone will support millimeter 5G. For 99% of users, millimeter 5G is useless.

Who cares. 5G isn’t going to make a big deal for phones. Now laptops, tablets, cars etc will benefit a lot more. Also game streaming for those who are limited to a bare bit of copper between their house and the local cabinet. But bandwidth isn’t really much of a limitation for the needs of a mobile phone. Anyway, this mmwave tech is only really useful in places like airports and festivals at the moment and the way things are going we won’t be using them much.

Back