Only the Pro version of the Note 10 will have an SD slot, both models missing headphone...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Most of what we’ve seen of the Galaxy Note 10 looks quite promising, but some new information won’t be very welcome. According to a leak, only the more expensive, Pro version of the flagship handset will feature a MicroSD slot.

XDA Developers writer Max Weinbach tweeted that his source spent time with both the 6.28-inch Note 10 and the 6.75-inch Note 10 Pro pre-production units, revealing some important details. In addition to the recent renders of the phones being accurate, they say the S-pen stylus is almost exactly the same as the Note 9, and only the Pro variant comes with a microSD slot.

Readers may recall that Samsung has been here before. In 2015, both the Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy Note 5 dropped removable batteries and microSD slots, but a backlash led to the latter being brought back in the phones’ next models.

The Note 10 is likely to come with at least 128GB of storage—the same base amount as the Note 9—which tends to be enough for most users, but not have the option to add extra will disappoint fans who love the Note series for its productivity features.

There have been conflicting reports over whether Samsung was finally going to relent and join other companies in dropping the long-used headphone jack. While Weinbach’s source said it was present in both the devices, it appears these were fakes added by Samsung to trick people. Sneaky. Buyers can expect to find Type-C AKG earbuds in the Note 10 box, though that's unlikely to appease those angry at the decision.

We’ll find out exactly what features the Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10 Pro offer when they are unveiled at an Unpacked event in New York on August 7.

Permalink to story.

When you have so much onboard storage why do you need an SDCard slot? Hell, some of these phones come with more storage than most modern notebook computers. And you're telling me that you need an SDCard? Come on! I don't buy it.

As much as I love my samsung s10+ im going back to apple soon as they announce their new products. Its just a phone I enjoy more and the games are better as well.

When you have so much onboard storage why do you need an SDCard slot? Hell, some of these phones come with more storage than most modern notebook computers. And you're telling me that you need an SDCard? Come on! I don't buy it.

You apparently don't use a phone like this to it's fullest capabilities.

Also, there's more than just having extra storage, to having an SD card slot. You can "remove" the SD card, if you didnt know, and then "stick" it into your PC. :D lmao

Come on! Just think about it.

As much as I like the SD card slot as a form factor, it doesn't completely kill the device for me. You can always just buy a USB-C thumb drive and use that when you want to play with moving things to some removable storage.

What DOES kill the device for me is the lack of headphone jack.

Whoever thought using a charge port as a headphone port was an *****! I've found myself in that conundrum way too many times using a 6S with the lightning jack headphones vs. regular headphone jack - do I charge my phone or be on a call!?

When I get a new phone, the first thing I do is take the SDCard from the old one with all of my files and install in the new one. Without an SDCard slot I now would have to manually transfer all of my files to the new phone. Having an SDCard slot makes moving files from device to device very easy. Just pop out of the old and put it in the new. So yes, not having an SDCard slot would be a negative for me.

Start recording video in 4K and see what happens
There are ways to connect a USB flash drive to the bottom of the device. Some don't even need an adapter, just plug it in and away you go.
You can "remove" the SD card, if you didn't know, and then "stick" it into your PC.
And you can connect the phone to your PC via USB and access the data through Windows Explorer like it was any other USB flash drive.

I recently had a phone without a headphone jack, it was a pain in the ***, I had to carry the USB-C adapter all the time, and the sound quality was trash, then I tried a pair of true wireless headphones, sound was hideous when compared with my corded phones. I manage to sell the phone and bought a Xiaomi RedMi Note 7 with 128 Gb of storage, so the lack of SD slot is not a problem. Having the headphone jack is mandatory for me.

I tried a pair of true wireless headphones, sound was hideous when compared with my corded phones.
That's funny, I have a Sony MDR-XB950B1 headphones with AAC and AptX support and I can't tell the difference between wired and wireless modes. I even use the headphones in wireless mode with my desktop computer simply because of the freedom of having no wires. Listening to something? Need to go get another cup of coffee? No problem, just stand up and go get it all the while I can still be listening to what I'm listening to. Ultimate freedom.

Now if you have a cheap pair of headphones then I can see why you'd think that cordless headphones sound bad but the latest headphones with AAC and AptX support sound great.

That's funny, I have a Sony MDR-XB950B1 headphones with AAC and AptX support and I can't tell the difference between wired and wireless modes. I even use the headphones in wireless mode with my desktop computer simply because of the freedom of having no wires. Listening to something? Need to go get another cup of coffee? No problem, just stand up and go get it all the while I can still be listening to what I'm listening to. Ultimate freedom.

Now if you have a cheap pair of headphones then I can see why you'd think that cordless headphones sound bad but the latest headphones with AAC and AptX support sound great.

I've had Sony headphones a couple of times, while they have a good sound, they have too much bass for my taste, still, I'll check those you mentioned.

I've had Sony headphones a couple of times, while they have a good sound, they have too much bass for my taste, still, I'll check those you mentioned.
Oh yes, they definitely have great sound. The AAC and AptX support definitely helps increase audio quality via Bluetooth over the older SBC standard which really does muddy some of the high frequencies.

Start recording video in 4K and see what happens
There are ways to connect a USB flash drive to the bottom of the device. Some don't even need an adapter, just plug it in and away you go.
You can "remove" the SD card, if you didn't know, and then "stick" it into your PC.
And you can connect the phone to your PC via USB and access the data through Windows Explorer like it was any other USB flash drive.

An external USB device is okay, but is not something that you can leave in your device though; you have to keep taking it out and plugging it back in when you need it. If you transfer files frequently, it can be a problem.

Just buy the pro version.

1) Headphone jack is inevitable, this had been a long time coming, I don't see why it's such a shock. I even use wired earbuds and I'm not surprised. Just get a USBC-to-3.5mm dongle.

2) SD Card is a shock but not really, they are trying to squeeze space out of the device and money out of our pockets.

Yeah, of course you can use external USB drives, with adapters or built in, and plug your phone in to your PC with a USB cable, (though these transfer speeds seem really bad even on the Note 9, maybe Note 10 will fix that? haha)

But also you can be out and about recording and hit your max storage, and pop in a new SD card. You can't really do this with external storage or a USB cable. Or, how able upgrading your storage beyond what's built in? Previously, phones were said to only allow 64GB on and older version, but you could still put a 128GB in and it would work, same when they upgraded to 128GB supported, you could actually insert a 256GB and it would work.

Who knows man, the possibilities... please let's NOT take away more options and functionality just because YOU don't see a possible use for it. This is the wrong way to think. If SOMEONE can use that option, then more power to them, and it's awesome that some company out there listened too all the people out there instead of just YOU.

Here's a real world example that might happen to me for instance.... I have an SD card full of ROMs and emulators on my phone. But this requires the full storage capacity on a 256GB SD card, so that when I need to record video or download more files (and oh dangit would you look my internal storage is already full, too) Well, I can pop this SD card out because I'm not currently playing any games on the emulators on my phone, and so now I can take full advantage of maximum recording options that my Note 9 can utilize and insert a 32GB or 64GB SD card (because they are hella cheaper now). Take 20 some GBs of video and well, would you look at that, I'm back home and want to pop that out and put my ROMs back in my phone and play games while the SD card with the video is plugged into my PC and transferring all my videos for all my Instagram friends can see! (okay I dont really upload videos to Instagram, but whatever kids are into these days)

I never understood why Samsung removed SD Card support from the S6/Note 5. They sell memory FFS! Surely it's counter productive to remove microSD support.

Now they're at it again? How ridiculous.
When your phone has hybrid dual sim support it makes even less sense.

As much as I love my samsung s10+ im going back to apple soon as they announce their new products. Its just a phone I enjoy more and the games are better as well.
I can still remember amazing 3d graphic games I played on my Ipod many years ago.
Back then, Android was a poopy poo unable to give their customers anything close to apple.
And many times I thought of upgrading to Apple while shopping for a new phone.
But the the negatives would still outweigh the positive.
I need my SD card and headphone jack. Not to mention , all the customization.
If someone gave me flagship Iphone, who knows, I could keep it to see what else is good with it.

Samsung is bound and determined to lose market share to the Chinese. They just lost my business. While removing these options may not bother many, it bothers me. My money spends just as well elsewhere......

I just don't know where these companies get off thinking that all of us will pay more for less. My current Note 9 supports 512GB. Will a Note 9 minus a card slot top that for a reasonable price? No? And you want me to give up my headphone jack... AND pay more for all of this.

Why would I do that?

If these were car companies the game would be 'and in this new model we've removed the stereo! You don't need that! No seat adjusters! Toying with the idea of removing that bulky AC unit....'

...and you're NOT reducing the price of the new model, rather upping it? Gee how long before I say goodbye and good riddance to your brand and get with a company that hasn't gone insane removing features for no good reason?

Back