Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro e-reader doubles as a monitor (but still isn't worth $800)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon has more or less cornered the e-reader market. Its Kindle line covers virtually every price point and feature set… well, almost.

The Onyx Boox Max 2 Professional features a massive (for an e-reader) 13.3-inch E Ink Carta flexible touch display sporting a resolution of 2,200 x 1,650 and high contrast (15:1). Thanks to its Wacom digitizer, it supports input from the supplied stylus (you can also use your fingers, just as you would with a tablet).

The e-reader is powered by a quad-core processor clocked at 1.6GHz alongside 2GB of RAM and 32GB of onboard storage. You also get Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, a sizable 4,100mAh battery that’s good for up to four weeks of standby time and a 3.5mm audio jack – all running Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

Its key feature, however, is the inclusion of an HDMI port that allows the reader to work double duty as a secondary PC monitor. Why on Earth you’d want to use a 13-inch greyscale e-reader as a companion desktop monitor is beyond me but eh, the option is there.

The Onyx Boox Max 2 Professional is available to pre-order as of writing from the eReader Store for €671.34 (just shy of $800). Personally, I’d opt for a high-end e-reader like the Kindle Oasis and use the remaining money to buy a proper secondary desktop monitor or a dedicated drawing tablet.

Permalink to story.

Whewwwww ..... remember that flipable monitor from about 20 years ago? It didn't last long because of a high price tag ($2,000). This is the first one I can recall in recent history that is similar but still, $800 for it? I'd just get a swivel joint for my current monitor and use Windows feature that allows you to turn the display 90 degrees .....

As computer display this would be very gentle on the eyes. Perhaps that one good reason to use it as monitor if one don't mind the greyscale display. But I bet the refresh rate would be an issue with e-ink, wouldn't it?

A 13" eink tablet is a great tool for working while protecting your eyes. A eink monitor without backlight is also great for long working with text (like studying and writing) but most likely not useabel for gaming or watching videos at all.

800$ is a high price tag, but your eyes may thank you (if you use your computer more for working than silly entertainment)

It's a device for a nice market, but I'm very glad that there is a alternative to backlight Monitors.

Back