Open a Folder, Desktop Disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

rps1789

Hi,
I have a Gateway C140x Tablet PC with Windows VISTA on it.

When I try to open any folder (my computer, my documents, music, video, control panel, etc....)on my computer, it closes right away and the desktop disappears. The only thing I can see is the wallpaper. Then after a few seconds, the desktop comes back. It seems like my computer just won’t let me open folders anymore.

I've ran a bunch of virus scanners and spyware remover, rebooted in safemode, deleted programs that i recently installed, and even use the system restore, but to no avail, the problem still continue. What do I DO??

I've attach a Hijack this log.

This next step is purely optional however viewpoint is considered foistware and is not needed on your computer,

'To provide a satisfying consumer experience and to operate effectively, the Viewpoint Media Player periodically sends information to servers at Viewpoint. Each installation of the Viewpoint Media Player is identifiable to Viewpoint via a Customer Unique Identifier (CUID), an alphanumeric identifier embedded in the Viewpoint Media Player. The Viewpoint Media Player randomly generates the CUID during installation and uses it to indicate a unique installation of the product. A CUID is never connected to a user's name, email address, or other personal contact information. CUIDs are used for the sole purpose of filtering redundant information. Each of these information exchanges occurs anonymously.'

Go to Start > Run and copy/paste or type: taskmgr
  • Under the Processes tab find the following tasks or processes:
    ViewpointService.exe
    ViewMgr.exe
  • Highlight and click "End Process".
  • Exit Task Manager.
Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press "OK".
  • Click the "Extended tab".
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called "Viewpoint Manager Service"
  • When you find the service, double-click on it.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disabled".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > highlight and remove all references to Viewpoint - i.e. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

Finally, delete the following folders if they still exist:
C:\Program Files\ViewManager\ <-- and delete this folder
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\ <-- and delete this folder

VUNDOFIX

Download Vundofix from here
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • When VundoFix opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
  • Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt and a new HiJackThis log.
Note:It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove. In this case, VundoFix will attempt run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

*If VundoFix gives an runtime error on startup you are most likely missing the file: comdlg32.ocx A new copy and instructions on where to put it can be found HERE

If VundoFix does not find anything,

Please Download VirtumundoBeGone by secured2k
  • Save the file to your desktop
  • Close all running programs (including your Internet Browser)
  • Double-click VirtumundoBeGone.exe on the desktop
  • Read the introductory information, and then click Continue
  • Click Start
  • When asked if you want to continue, click Yes to run the fix
  • Click "Save Log"

Note: It is normal for the the fix to terminate by producing a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH so don't be concerned when this happens. It requires you to manually reboot to restore your normal windows desktop.

The log created by VirtumundoBeGone called VBG.TXT will be on located on your desktop. Please retain VBG.TXT.

Empty Recycle Bin.

Reboot and attach a new HijackThis log file along with the VBG.TXT into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

still doesnt work...

i've tried everything that you said and it didnt resolve anything. The first scan didnt find anything and neither did the second scan. I've attach a log from the second scan. i would post my second Hijack this log..but apparently the system wont let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back