1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions On Build

By Jad Chaar ยท 10 replies
Apr 23, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys, would love some opinions on this build I am planning on putting together this summer: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DTrcvV.

I am a bit hesitant about the case because it has 5 fans included, which is awesome, but they are all molex. So my question is: can I use a molex to 3 pin adapter to connect these to the motherboard fan headers? Also, what are people's experiences with molex fans?

Any case and case fan recommendations?

Also, any way to get W10 cheaper? Could I rip my W7 key from my old laptop as an upgrade into the W10 installer?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,134   +3,244

Fans are rather inexpensive. You can always replace them, one at a time if needed.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar Elite Techno Geek Topic Starter Posts: 6,515   +974

If I connect the fans to the motherboard with the molex adapters would I get the same fan speed tuning (done by the motherboard)? I have not dealt with molex based fans before :(.

4. cliffordcooley

The fans with molex connectors are not PWM controlled. So no the motherboard will not control fan speed.

5. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,540   +241

When you are ready to install Windows 10 buy a key on eBay to activate it. I bought a W7 desktop shortly after the free W10 upgrade was discontinued. No problems validating Windows 10 and it was inexpensive too.

6. Jad Chaar

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any general thoughts on the build?

7. cliffordcooley

Looks good.
    Do you already have mouse, keyboard, and monitor?
    And what about a storage drive? You may need more storage than 500GB on the SSD.

8. Jad Chaar

Yup! I have all the other needed stuff. I was gonna add a HDD at a later point. Haven't had a ton of time to do hardcore gaming in the past year, so I am gonna keep the SSD for my most played games. Then expand later on.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. cliffordcooley

Sounds like a plan. :)

10. Jad Chaar

So I have increased the RAM to 16gb, changed motherboard to x370 and added in a custom air cooler. Should be good.

11. For a new silent quick pc avoid mechanical drives all together. Use strictly SSD's, you'll be glad u did.