Order of files and folders in save as

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

In XP pro, what controls the default order of files and folders in the pop-up selections such as 'save as' or file 'open' in most applications ?

You can always change the order by right-clicking in that area and choosing the order. But, where are the defaults adjusted, i would also like to know :)
The same about thumbnail\list\etc. view of such pop-up windows

in the explorer view of the folder, clicking on the column heading will sort that column Assending; click again and it will be Descending

Of course I know that, what I want is the default order to be settable. Also I am not talking about Windows Explorer. This is file-open or save-as.

I am sick and tired of having to reset first the type of display to 'detail', then scroll the order of fields, to bring the one I want into view, then clicking the column header twice, because the first click gives me the inverse of the order I want. I scream.....this problem has never been addressed ever since Win95.

I well remember complaining to a developer about this years ago, only to be told this is a MS general file-open utility and "we have no control over it's methods". Only too true.

What is set in windows explorer seems totally unrelated to what happens in the file-open or file-save as dialogues

on any folder, use the Tools->Folder Options
Click the View Tab
Scroll the list for Remember each folder's view settings (~15th in the list)
[x] the box​
Click Apply at the bottom to save the settings

If you do this for My Documents\ then you can click the Apply to All Folders
and anytime you change a Fold View setting on ANY folder, it will be remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back