Ordering New Computer, Need Opinions On Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXxZxXx

I plan on ordering my parts for my new computer in the next couple of weeks and I have selected all the parts, I'm almost certain that they will all work fine. But wanting opinions and advice from other people. If you think something is not good and should be switched with a different brand or what not, let me know and link me a better brand. Thanks in advance.

Motherboard - X MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard

Video Card - BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXOCXE GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775

Power Supply - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Memory - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB

CD/DVD Drive - LITE-ON SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

CPU Cooler - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

We would have no quarrel, except with the power supply. The rebate is darned near impossible to get. OCZ will play every possible game with you until you forget about it.

You don't need that much power supply, anyway, and there are usually better deals at www.directron.com and others.

You have otherwise put together a very nice package... except I don't see your case, and you are ordering some sizeable components which will be a tight fit in some boxes.

Let us know how it runs.

I'm not to much worried about the rebate and I picked that much because soon I'ma SLI if it's enough for two. I mean is that power supply a decent brand, will it last me some years and through alot of gaming :) My case is going to be an Antec Nine Hundred, Best Buy is still selling them right now and I'm going to just pay the 154.99 for it. It's the only case I really liked, since I had it previously. I'll have pictures and what not up soon, I'll post again when it's, might need some help with some things. ( First Build ) Thanks much for the feedback.

There is a worthwhile list on power supplies in this forum. It is not quite complete, but it covers most great power supplies. Nothing wrong with most OCZ units, as they are actually designed by the terrific PC Power and Cooling. I only wonder about support. If they would jerk so many of their customers around on a rebate to which they had already agreed, what will they do about warranty, now that they are in Singapore and China instead of Canada.
There is an old saying that the enemy of good is better. Since the technology is upgraded every four months, on average, you will barely get it built before it is out of date. Big and important changes are coming before September.

If you satisfied all these components are compatible and suit you needs
then go for it.I only have one suggestion,
Don't buy a Windows installed sysyem.
Buy and install a Windows cd.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't need no 9900 at the time, their is no game that requires that much power except crysis. Which most of the games I'll play will be older games like bf2 and what not. My friend's computer runs awesome and its only, 2.6 GHz AMD Single Core, 8800 GT 4 gigs of memory, and its runs all his games smooth even Crysis on High. But thanks again for the feedback.

Yeah I'd say you pick up a E8200 instead - here they're pretty much the same price as the 65nm Duo. Better to have the 45nm now, and they're especially good at gaming.

Thats the way

xXxZxXx said:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't need no 9900 at the time, their is no game that requires that much power except crysis. Which most of the games I'll play will be older games like bf2 and what not. My friend's computer runs awesome and its only, 2.6 GHz AMD Single Core, 8800 GT 4 gigs of memory, and its runs all his games smooth even Crysis on High. But thanks again for the feedback.

Learn from users like your friend.
:approve:

You've got a sweet system there and my only slight talk is about the 9800 GTX. I'm not really convinced on the 9800 GTX as the performance is too similar to a 8800 GTS 512mb.

If you're patient enough i'd say wait out for the 9900 series or the Radeon HD4xxx series. Once those two hit the market, and they're going to come at pretty much the same time, theres going to be a price war thats always good for us consumers. No one ever complained about killer cards for really good prices :)

The 8800 may have somewhat similar performance, but the temperature in the 9800 is cooler of the 8800. This will do me fine for now, until they release a game that requires an extreme gpu. But the temperature difference between the 8800 and the 9800 is the main reason for me right now otherwise it would be an 8800.

thats fair enough. i have heard that they're planning to cut prices of the 9800 GTX heavily though. they might have improved the stock cooler but i don't think any major changes was done to the actual chip itself :X more like a rebadge if you ask me... with 3 Sli support.

The PSU could be better. The GameXStream is a good performer, but under heavy load the ripple on the +12V rail is very high, which can destroy components over time, especially if the PSU is loaded to maximum potential regularly. Also, I'd recommend against buying PSUs with multiple +12V rails, since that causes power wastage. I'd recommend the Corsair 550VX instead. It provides a single +12V rail with 41A on it, more than enough for that setup, and is about the same price as the GameXStream.

Also, the 780i is just a rehash of the 680i but with PCI-E 2.0 ports this time around. It still uses the same nForce 570 northbridge so it has the same thermal dissipation as it's younger counterpart. I'd recommend another chipset board, like the P5E for a cheaper price. $259 for that board is outrageous, considering it also has issues with Vista x64, which is a problem if you're looking to run more than 3GB of RAM.

Lastly, the RAM could be of a better brand. I've seen a 1066MHZ 2GB Crucial Ballistix kit on ClubIT for about $51.99 after rebate, which is an excellent price IMO and a better deal than the G.SKILL RAM kit. Here is the link.

Could you link me to that power supply your talking about please and have it from newegg. I'm wanting to keep all the parts I buy from their. I don't plan on using a 64 bit vista also. Also the G.Skill RAM used to be $44 after the rebate but they took the rebate off. And the most RAM I do plan on using will be 3-4 Gigs. I do appreciate your suggestions and feedback on these parts.

Here is the link to the PSU.

xXxZxXx said:
And the most RAM I do plan on using will be 3-4 Gigs.
In that case, you'd need a 64-bit OS, since 32-bit XP and Vista are limited to recognizing only 4GB of memory, which includes RAM and VRAM. XP x64 is the only option you have with the current motherboard, since it has compatibility issues with Vista x64. Alternatively, you could buy this motherboard.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Doesn't XP 64 have TONS of issues? for starters i heard that drivers for the XP 64 is so limited that its actually really difficult getting drivers for them... If anything i'd say Vista 64... it has larger driver support and possibly swap out the XFX mobo for an eVGA 780i.

Thats just my views though o.o

Thanks for the link to that power supply, I do like it alot. Its 80 plus certified and has says has long cables for long cases, in which case will do excellent for my Antec. I'll check out that board also. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back