Origin is selling a retro-inspired beige box PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Even if you don’t opt for a RestoMod system, perhaps the concept will inspire you to take on your own retro build. If you don’t already have something old lying around in the closet, thrift stores are an excellent first place to start your search. eBay is great, too. With a little elbow grease and some creativity, it’s not too terribly difficult to convert a worn out chassis into a true retro sleeper.

From fashion to video games and virtually everything in between, retro is in. The trend is even extending to the aftermarket PC industry, too.

Origin, the custom PC manufacturer based in Miami, is offering a limited-edition system that’s sure to give off that retro vibe. It’s based on the Neuron design, which utilizes a Corsair 4000D chassis with a custom printed HD UV front panel designed to mimic the look and feel of a 90s-era PC complete with disc drive, floppy drives and even a Turbo button graphic.

The chassis has also been painted a period-correct beige, a surprisingly refreshing change of pace compared to the black boxes with RGB lights that are common today.

Origin is only building 50 RestoMod PCs, so if you want one, you’ll need to act quickly.

Permalink to story.

Well don't care about the turbo button.... but wouldn't be adverse to a 3.5" floppy drive... I suppose I could probably find one lying around somewhere... The 5.25" floppy drive would be more problematic - but I suppose not impossible....

Have to find my Lakers vs Celtics and Wing Commander 1 games :)

I like the idea but agree with the comments, would never buy one because of the silly and tacky painted on parts. Would be really cool if it had real switches including a functional turbo button that toggled a customizable overclock on the fly. It could include plastic / adhesive overlays or a paint can for adding modern drive bay components that are probably black.

Also, most cases from that era were matte white when new, not beige. They become beige with aging.

A sticker? Gtfo Origin, make a real old school beige case or go home.

This is lazy as, this thing has appeared on all the tech outlets I sub to, so they lazily print off a retro sticker and stick it on a beige case, paid some tech outlets to advertise it (as an article) and went home.

I agree, making a fake sticker instead of having actual buttons and drives just cheapens the experience. And, I've already gone "retro" with a full white setup: case, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Not necessarily beige, but close enough.

LOL ..... so this is the new peripheral marketing plan .... sell a few at a jacked up price and if it becomes popular, make more. It really says a lot about these companies and none of it is good ......

The beige color is nice retro. But the sticker is tacky and ugly. I remember old school PCs that were actually nice to look at and have aged much better.

Just what I always wanted!

Nostalgia and poor airflow.

If I get this right, airflow wouldn't really matter if the buyer of this case is going to also put retro parts inside the case. I wouldn't have thought this case was aimed at people who want to put modern, hot running PC builds in them.

Authentic cases from the period are now in pretty grotty condition so this would be an ideal solution for a proper retro build with CPU's & GPU's from the time period.

So a case with all the ugliness of a classic beige case, with NONE of the usefulness. I'll pass.

Authentic cases from the period are now in pretty grotty condition

But you don't even have to use them in their battered condition. I picked up an old-school case at a yard sale for $5 (had an old AMD K6-2 board in it), stripped the case apart, cleaned it up, then did a two-tone black/hammer-finish copper paint job on it, and put in a Phenom II X4 board I had lying around. It's got two DVD/RW drives, media reader, just no internal floppy as the board already didn't have a floppy connector.

I see no point to this at all. I would just build one and do retro things with it. Like play retro games.

Back