Original iPhone prototype was the size of a PC motherboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: This is the first time we’ve publicly seen a prototype iPhone of this nature. It’s a fascinating look into the history of one of the biggest tech launches of our time and highlights the extent that Apple went to keep the design a secret, even from its own engineers.

Steve Jobs during a keynote address at the Macworld conference on January 9, 2007, told the audience, “This is a day I’ve been looking forward to for two and a half years.” Moments later, he introduced the world to the iPhone, a device that would help set in motion the mobile revolution.

The journey, as Jobs alluded to, began years earlier with an idea that eventually became a project known internally at Apple by the codenames “Purple 2” and “M68.” Neither designation gave much of a hint as to the nature of the project. Nor did early development hardware.

The Verge recently managed to get its hands on an early iPhone M68 prototype which, at first glance, looks more like an old motherboard from a late 90s PC than the guts of a mobile phone. Indeed, Apple likely designed the board to be misleading – not surprising, considering many of the engineers that worked on the iPhone wouldn’t know its final design until late in the development process (or perhaps not even until it was unveiled publicly).

Upon closer inspection, you’ll notice that the prototype board contains the hardware that would eventually make its way into the iPhone – a SIM card slot, a camera, power and volume buttons, a 30-pin connector and of course, a display. A board of this nature, the publication said, would have been supplied to engineers working on the software and radio portions of the project.

All images courtesy The Verge

Permalink to story.

Sometimes, when I need a lift, I go on Youtube and watch the video of Steve Jobs unveiling the original iPhone. Even over 10 years later, it's still an amazing moment.

Not only did iPhone reinvent "the phone"...but Apple (Jobs) reinvented the way all keynote speeches would be done.

Everyone has copied apple style. One of the more disappointing moments being Nvidia's unveiling of the RTX.

Sometimes, when I need a lift, I go on Youtube and watch the video of Steve Jobs unveiling the original iPhone. Even over 10 years later, it's still an amazing moment.

Not only did iPhone reinvent "the phone"...but Apple (Jobs) reinvented the way all keynote speeches would be done.

Everyone has copied apple style. One of the more disappointing moments being Nvidia's unveiling of the RTX.
I wonder do you also go on youtube and watch how many children were used in making your beloved iPhone and how he treated his staff like utter ****. Steve jobs was a thug and reinvented ways of making a profit out of human suffering.

I wonder do you also go on youtube and watch how many children were used in making your beloved iPhone and how he treated his staff like utter ****. Steve jobs was a thug and reinvented ways of making a profit out of human suffering.

I've lived in Asia.

Labor is cheap.

Life is cheaper.

Apple jobs are WAY better than the alternative.

I have a friend who knew the bloke who had the first mobile phone in Australia. It took up the entire rear of a mini, but it was a real mobile phone, not just a radio.

OMG! Look at the ugly bezels, it's so thick, who would want something that huge (as the stylish crowd loves to say these days) LOL.

Somehow, I don't think putting it into the form factor of a PC motherboard would trick many electrical engineers. The SIM card and radios are kind of a give away. More likely that the form factor was just there to make the whole thing easier to troubleshoot while they were still designing it.

Anyone who as done original or prototype work understands and expects the first few iterations to be on such a breadboard with large scale components. It's only in the final stages that miniaturization takes place :sigh:

Back