Original Xbox games surface in Microsoft Store with compatibility fixes

Greg S

The Xbox One launched without one key feature: backward compatibility for original Xbox games. Buying a new console and losing the ability to play a library of games that you spent years buying is a disappointing fact of life for most console gamers. Now, Microsoft has launched a handful of original Xbox games that can be played on Xbox One.

Found in the Games On Demand section of Xbox.com, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Prince of Persia, Neowave: The King of Fighters, and more are available. Microsoft has clarified that backwards compatible games will launch on October 24, at which time supported games will become playable. Games that are already owned will begin to work after implementation of the feature.

When attempting to buy any of the games on Xbox One, none were appearing in the dashboard. A future update may be incoming to correct this issue. For now, it is advised you hold off on purchasing any games set to be backwards compatible until Microsoft makes an official announcement on the matter.

Update: Backwards compatible games will be available beginning on October 24. Explore Games on Demand to see all available titles.

Permalink to story.

This is neat but what I really want to see is Xbox 360 games in the Windows store. The PC version of Red Dead Redemption would sell extremely well.

This is neat but what I really want to see is Xbox 360 games in the Windows store. The PC version of Red Dead Redemption would sell extremely well.
Agreed. MCC on PC, or even just halo 3 or reach, would be great. And the 360 forza games.

But then they couldnt sell us newer games loaded with loot boxes.

"When attempting to buy any of the games on Xbox One, none were appearing in the dashboard. A future update may be incoming to correct this issue. For now, it is advised you hold off on purchasing any games set to be backwards compatible until Microsoft makes an official announcement on the matter."

Thats because the feature isnt available till tommorow...microsoft made an actual announcement.

I feel like this article was written based on a reddit speculation thread...

"Unfortunately, you still have to purchase them again even if you still have the original discs".
So what the hell is the point of the so called 'feature', apart from transferring money to MS's coffers you shouldn't? A different story if you want to play an old game but never purchased it.

Microsoft has taken me to the cleaners for the last time.
After Windows 7 I am done using their OS, and once my X1 dies I am switching to Sony.

My 360S has been disconnecting from Xbox Live for months during Netflix/Amazon streaming, so some idea's from a forum mod was to factory reset/format drive, and delete all data, delete the Xbox Live profile, and he had some other tricks. Nothing worked, My 360S STILL does it, but I lost all my games I had.
Went back to the games store to download FIFA 13 (which I had already paid for in full) and like many others, guess what?! It's not F***ING there.

"Unfortunately, you still have to purchase them again even if you still have the original discs".
So what the hell is the point of the so called 'feature', apart from transferring money to MS's coffers you shouldn't? A different story if you want to play an old game but never purchased it.

Article updated with new information. An error was made since some of the feature parts have been implemented but not others. Apologies for any mistakes.

Article updated with new information. An error was made since some of the feature parts have been implemented but not others. Apologies for any mistakes.
No need to apologise for just being human, we all make mistakes and mine was quickly skimming through the article then putting my foot in it.

Microsoft has taken me to the cleaners for the last time.
After Windows 7 I am done using their OS, and once my X1 dies I am switching to Sony.

My 360S has been disconnecting from Xbox Live for months during Netflix/Amazon streaming, so some idea's from a forum mod was to factory reset/format drive, and delete all data, delete the Xbox Live profile, and he had some other tricks. Nothing worked, My 360S STILL does it, but I lost all my games I had.
Went back to the games store to download FIFA 13 (which I had already paid for in full) and like many others, guess what?! It's not F***ING there.

I'd contact Microsoft about that. I've never heard of anyone having problems like that. Unless you were buying codes purchased with stolen credit cards.

Everyone that compares xbox live to ps plus notices the xbox live service is much better than playstation online. But don't take my opinion, borrow a friends ps4 and do the free 30 day trial of ps plus and see how it works for you.

Back