OS internet download speed differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbssat

I thought I would throw this out there for some networking gurus as I have not been able to figure this out. About 6 months ago; I purchased a usb data modem to access the internet from a cell tower. After learning I could get better download speeds by accessing another tower by changing the prl, I was ecstatic.I run 2 desktops in my home and 3 laptops networking them through a linksys wrt54gl and ICS. The ics server computer runs xp home and the other desktop runs xp pro. The main problem is that the ics server will not acquire any better download speed than 1300 kbps and all other computers connected to the router will acquire in the neigbourhood of 2200 to 2500 kbps.There is another twist also.Laptops that connect to the wireless access point running xp will get the same speed as the server.Vista laptops that connect to the wireless access point will get the same speed as other clients connected directly to the router. I know that vista has a self tuning tcp/ip stack but this is ridiculous. Any gurus care to explain this?

It has to do with the settings in Windows for internet connections.
Personally, I use TcpOptimizer in Windows XP to tune the OS for maximum internet performance. Vista and Windows 7 don't need it however.

Hi redk. I have already tried some of these programs and they have mostly hurt throughput. I have also tried different rwin values to no avail.

ANY system connected via ICS will be slower than one connected to a router or modem; The system with the ICS enabled interferes with the thruput.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back