Outlook Express won't send

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Outlook Express 6 and out of the blue it won't send e-mail but it receives e-mail. [I get the error : The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was XXXXXXXXX'. Subject 'Test', Account: 'mailhost.spf.ameritech.net', Server: 'mailhost.spf.ameritech.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 [PERMFAIL] hotmail.com requires valid sender domain', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79.]

I get this error no mater who I send an e-mail too (not just hotmail). I have the same account set up on a different computer with all the same account info., servers, ports, passwords, authentication, etc. and I can send e-mail from that machine. So the problem must reside with this computer. I have done a system restore to a date previous to my last successful e-mail sent and this changed nothing. I have disabled my windows firewall and I cannot send as well.

Any suggestions?

Baffled.

The rejected e-mail address was XXXXXXXXX'. Subject 'Test', Account: 'mailhost.spf.ameritech.net', Server: mailhost.spf.ameritech.net, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 [PERMFAIL] hotmail.com requires valid sender domain', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79.]
see this
and this

The Outlook smtp address mailhost.spf.ameritech.net does not belong to YOUR ISP and thus attempting to use
mailhost.spf.ameritech.net creates what is known as an
Open Relay request -- correctly denied to stop as much spam as possible.

Confused

jobeard,

I don't understand what you mean that mailhost.spf.ameritech.net does not belong to my ISP? It is the server assigned to me. It's a ppop account that requires an account name and password to sign on. I have two other computers in the house with Outlook Express that I am able to send e-mail from over that server.

Confused?

your confuse -- and now I am too.

The error message is from the smtp server itself and the 550 code means what I reported. your settings are in question.

when I tried to ping it, notice what happens to the name:
Code:
$ ping mailhost.[B]spf[/B].ameritech.net

Pinging mailhost.[COLOR="Red"]chi[/COLOR].ameritech.net
If mailhost.spf.ameritech.net is truly your ISP smtp server, then
you need to call them to help you with your outgoing email settings.

More Confused

I have now also pinged mailhost.spf.ameritech.net from one of my computers that I successfully can send e-mail from. I also get the return from mailhost.chi.ameritech.net. All three of my computers running Outlook Express have the account set up exactly the same for the outgoing mail server. Two of the three can send e-mail, my office computer gets the error message posted.

???

Confused

jobeard,

I have a dsl modem with a Belkin wireless router connected to it. One computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable, my office computer has a usb wireless adapter, and my laptop has a built-in wireless card. I can send e-mail from my laptop and from the compter connected via the ethernet cable, not from my office computer.

This might help:
550 - Relaying not allowed

This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| <account name> Properties| Servers.

Another possible reason for this error is anti-virus software that configures OE to use a local proxy for the SMTP server. Since scanning e-mail is not necessary to protect your computer, you should disable the e-mail scan in your anti-virus product, and then re-enter the correct name for your SMTP server.
Source: Insideoe

dlauch: Are you sure you are connecting to your WiFi router and not some other in the neighborhood?
How can you tell? If you would acess the Dlink router using a cabled connection, you could login and see the SSID being used. It is simple to
change and would allow you to be absolutely sure that it's yours that is being used.
If you accidently access some other WiFi, then you would be going thru THEIR ISP and thus the 550 error would be expected :(

bobbye said:
550 - Relaying not allowed
This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself. It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools| Accounts| <account name> Properties| Servers.
hum; that's just a rewording of what was already posted above.
Another possible reason for this error is anti-virus software that configures OE to use a local proxy for the SMTP server. Since scanning e-mail is not necessary to protect your computer, you should disable the e-mail scan in your anti-virus product, and then re-enter the correct name for your SMTP server.
sorry, not so. I use a local proxy system all the time and the 550 error has nothing to due with the proxy or an A/V scan of outgoing email. It is from the smtp server as noted above.

jobeard,

Yes I am just connected to my WiFi. I can see two other networks in the neighborhood but all are secure. I log onto my own with a password.

As a test, I decided to set up an additional identity in Outlook Express to create another account where I entered all the exact account information, servers, ports passwords etc. as my primary account. Guess what? I was able to send e-mail from that account. So something is corrupted in my primary account, even though all the account settings are exactly the same as all these other accounts that I can send e-mail from. I will create a new mail account and then delete the old one. The biggest hassle will be deleting over 1000 e-mails that will be download from my server and mixed with the e-mails I still have in my inbox.

Thanks for your input. Still don't know what has ultimately happened but have come up with a work-around to the problem.

jobeard, didn't mean to double up on you. I did however leave the link to my source of Inisideoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back