Over a decade after their demise, Japan's government declares "war" on floppy disks

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Several tech products that can definitely be considered as obsolete still find widespread use in Japan. Compact discs, fax machines, and other archaic technologies remain part of many Japanese government procedures, but the country's digital minister has now declared "war" on one of the most iconic: floppy disks.

Japan's digital minister tweeted that floppies, CDs, and even mini-disks are still required for around 1,900 government procedures in which business communities submit applications and other forms. The country's digital agency is going to bring these procedures into the modern era (or the 21st century) by allowing them to be performed online.

"We will be reviewing these practices swiftly," Kono said in a press conference Tuesday (via Bloomberg). He added that Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has offered his full support. "Where does one even buy a floppy disk these days?"

The Japanese government's digital taskforce writes that broader adoption of modern technologies such as cloud storage within the bureaucracy is being slowed down by legal hurdles. It plans to announce improvements and updates to the systems by year's end.

A number of obsolete technologies from our Once-Iconic Tech Products That Are Now a Fading Memory article are still being used in Japan. Fax machines, used by many countries' government branches up until recently, are still found in many Japanese government offices.

"I'm looking to get rid of the fax machine, and I still plan to do that," said Kono.

Floppy disks were once the standard format for computer software. There were several versions, including an eight-inch one (80 KB) that was first used in 1967 and the 5.25-incher (360KB for double-sided) that were popular in the early 1980s. But most people associate them with the more rigid 3.5-inch floppy, named after the flexible sheath on the inside that contained the data.

It's pretty unlikely that everyday users will have encountered many floppy disks over the last decade, yet 8-inch versions were only dropped by the US for its nuclear weapons systems in 2019—the Pentagon moved to SSDs. There was also Boeing, which was still using classic 3.5-inch floppy disks to update the software in some of its Boeing 747 planes in 2020.

Permalink to story.

That would be funny, if it wasn't true...
Their largest businesses still work on laptops on windows XP, and main browser is IE8.
At least it was a year ago, when one of largest company asked to port modern framework onto IE8 because that what they need.
Such a modern country and still so bound down by weird sense of tradition and 'if not broken, then your grandads still be using XP' approach. Which would be kinda nice, if there werent be any security issues...

I'm not sure if it's just security by obscurity, but in my line of work fax is still widely used; especially by law firms that have some kind of strange belief that e-mail isn't a legally binding form of communication, and certain parts of the federal government, allegedly because of the security vulnerabilities of e-mail. It's gotten better since the pandemic but there are still a lot of hangers-on.

Also, daily reminder that just because the floppy as a format is obsolete doesn't mean magnetic or disc is categorically; tapes are still widely used at the enterprise level for backups and archival optical disks are still the most long-lived and shelf-stable forms of storage.

My 21 year old nephew didn't even get to know one of those! AND they are used extensively in Japan. Geessss man, that's in fact another world!

Would love to visit but never want to work there - too many compromises that would require my own storage shed full of ancient hardware

the copy machine' integrated network-connected scanner has killed fax, and thumb drives plus portable hard drives are all you need to kill floppys

WOW .... I still have a few of the 8" floppies that came with my CPM machine .... now those are getting more rare......

MiniDiscs were and still are super cool. I know Sony get a lot of flak these days for their proprietary formats but they did invent some really cool ones.

MiniDisc was awesome because you could just rewrite them again and again with the good later portable players usually able to standalone record. MP3 players killed them quickly in the early 2000s but for about 5 years at the end of the 90s they were great for portable music lovers. Much better quality than cassette tapes, much smaller than CD players, recordable and all of them had anti skip memory buffers. Best of both worlds. Price not so much.

Ahhh, nostalgia.

MiniDiscs were and still are super cool. I know Sony get a lot of flak these days for their proprietary formats but they did invent some really cool ones.

MiniDisc was awesome because you could just rewrite them again and again with the good later portable players usually able to standalone record. MP3 players killed them quickly in the early 2000s but for about 5 years at the end of the 90s they were great for portable music lovers. Much better quality than cassette tapes, much smaller than CD players, recordable and all of them had anti skip memory buffers. Best of both worlds. Price not so much.

Ahhh, nostalgia.

mp3 playback cd players kinda killed any chance of minidisc making inroads here. I owned several models in the early 2000s; this then encouraged me to replace my entire car 200-entry CD collection with just a 20-count binder (even alt preset standard worked fine)

all they needed it do was copy the CD single format (reused by GameCube, except in DVD format) , and it would have been a hit for minidisc ; I mean, just look at this idea for an almost-successful attempt completely independent of Sony:

portable mp3 players were successful because you weren't forced into using the crap ATRAC encoder for converting all your music (most supported wma and aac)

Last edited:
I still have some boxes of old floppy disks. I don't touch the ones that are new and unused, but the used ones I have gradually turned into useful "works of art" (inspired by a "Make" magazine from years ago) that I give away. so, they still have a life ahead of them on the tables of friends and family.

In my collection I still have the two Doom shareware floppies , :)

portable mp3 players were successful because you weren't forced into using the crap ATRAC encoder for converting all your music (most supported wma and aac)
[/QUOTE]

I use the classic yellow sony Walkman - for my travels - they were a beast - easy to fix - put my music onto very HQ cassettes - standard ones flake , stretch , tightened etc - poorer sound .
But love the mini-disc for being on the road - yeah limited to 74 minutes on std quality plenty good for average earbuds and noisey buses - no skipping etc -- Had a CD/Minidisc player - I could just record on - funny nothing at time to see if CD copyrighted. Think budding amatuer music producers loved it . Then came the portable MP3 players near end of my travels - was envious of amount of songs they could contain - not much else as more problematic . Minidisc protected it's disc and was very robust - if bought quality brand

I remember the first car CD players in EU (Belgium to be exact) that didn't have anti-skip tech... so they were skipping ALL THE TIME when driving on those roads especially the ones that were century old!

There will likely come a time when collectors will pay a small fortune for packs of mint condition, sealed floppy disks :))

I have a sealed pack with the plastic still wrapped around, Verbatim 2HD. stored in a cool place of course ;)

What?? Floppy drives???

So, they completely abandoned loading software from audio cassettes??

Would love to visit but never want to work there - too many compromises that would require my own storage shed full of ancient hardware

the copy machine' integrated network-connected scanner has killed fax, and thumb drives plus portable hard drives are all you need to kill floppys
Rewritable CDs and magnetic removable discs of different types{I have a bunch of new ones if you need them :) } are what killed of the floppy,

Rewritable CDs and magnetic removable discs of different types{I have a bunch of new ones if you need them :) } are what killed of the floppy,

not for the majority of the world

Thanks to windows 2000's new hot-plug USB app (includes automatic explorer prompts every time one is inserted), combined with the new default for USB drives being uncached (means you suddenly have "way-easier than burning and closing a CD" for most folks, because you don't even have to unmount it)

by-comparison, CD writing wasn't integrated in Windows Explorer until windows 7 (hope you had CD burning software); after around 2005 the only CDs I burned anymore were mp3 CDs for my car, and to transfer stuff between networks at work

Last edited:
Back