Overclocking my e6700

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag8796

Hello. I am interested in saving some money by not buying a new processor so it doesnt bottleneck my new video card but by Oc'ing it. The only problem is that i have no idea on how to do this.

here is my specs
memory:
3072MBytes
DRAM Freq-266.7Mhz
FSBDRAM1:1
CAS# Latency(Cl)-4
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD)-4
RAS# Precharge (tRP)-4
Cycle Time(tRAS)-11
Bank Cycle Time(tRC)-15

Core Speed 2667.3
Multiplier x 10.0
Bus Speed 266.7
Rated FSB 1066.9

i use 2 1gb crucial ballistic 2.2v

and 2 512mb crucial/samsung sticks

total of 3 gb

750 corsair psu
gtx 280
watercooling for cpu chip

UPDATE SPECS, I REMOVED THE EXTRA 2 512 STICKS SO I CAN HAVE CLEANER RAM

here is my specs
memory:
DRAM Freq-400Mhz
FSBDRAM 2:3
CAS# Latency(Cl)-5
RAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD)-4
RAS# Precharge (tRP)-4
Cycle Time(tRAS)-17
Bank Cycle Time(tRC)-12
Core Speed 2667.3
Multiplier x 10.0
Bus Speed 266.7
Rated FSB 1066.9

i use 2 1gb crucial ballistic 2.2v

750 corsair psu
gtx 280
watercooling for cpu chip

An E6700 will not bottleneck anything, except maybe a pair of HD 4870X2s, which you can't run. But an OC won't hurt either. You need to slowly increase the FSB of the CPU in 10MHz increments, then reboot and run Prime95's torture test for about 20 minutes (more is better, I usually let it run for 30 minutes) to make sure the system is stable (by stable, I mean that temps are within acceptable ranges and the PC doesn't crash or reboot spontanously during the test). Then increase the FSB again by the same margin and repeat the whole cycle until the system is unstable at a particular setting and you have to revert to the previous setting. Be sure to keep a pen\pencil and paper to note down each stable setting, so you know the last stable setting. Sometimes, the PC may not even boot. Don't panic, just reset the CMOS by removing the small battery on the motherboard for about a minute and replacing it. Then just enter the last stable settings and there you go, an OC'd CPU!

Once the FSB is where you want, if you want to get it higher, you might have to increase the voltage to the CPU. This makes it more stable, so you can OC higher. But the main problem here is that too much voltage will fry your chip, and even a small increase will make it run much hotter than before, so you'd need some serious cooling to attempt it. Also, there is the issue of Vdroop. So only go for it if you're sure you want to attempt it and have a good aftermarket cooler installed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

what

you say my e6700 is not bottlenecking my gtx 280? this is good news, i thought i had processor limits. So i start off my increasing the fsb and fsb only. No other tweaks are required? GO straight to bios and open up manual Ai and increase fsb...

No, it wouldn't, although an OC to 3GHz+ wouldn't hurt. Yes, increase only the FSB, but in small increments only. Test stability, reboot, increment FSB and repeat.

Oh, and you can download Prime95 from here.

thanks guys. i went to 3.2 oc from 2.6. Not much of a diffrence performance wise for me. i was hoping to squeeze out some extra fps for a certain game but all is well. i was able to hit 3.2 with very little tweaking. my cpu runs at 45/47 idle and 50/53 under load with a zalman resonator, depending if i have the ac on in my room. will leave it at stock speeds and wait till the new intels hit the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back