P4 3.06 HT vs. Celeron D 3.2 & mobo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

Which is better? I have a MSI MS-6577 motherboard with FSB 400/533 & Socket 478, so these CPU's are my best options. Does the Hyper-Threading technology of the Pentium 3.06 really increase performance past the 3.20 GHz rating of the non Hyper-Threaded Celeron?

Also, I understand that you need to reinstall Windows when you swap motherboards, but my Windows XP was factory installed on a partition of the factory hard drive and I don't think I can access it, unless I am doing a system restore and that won't help with a mobo swap. Is there a way I can upgrade my mobo without buying another Windows XP?

Here are some specs for a comparison on both CPU's:

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors 3.06 GHz

sSpec Number: SL6S5
CPU Speed: 3.06 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 23
L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
L2 Cache Speed: 3.06 GHz

Package Type: 478 pin
Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
Core Stepping: C1
CPUID String: 0F27h
Thermal Design Power: 81.8W
Thermal Specification: 69°C
VID Voltage Range:

Supported Features: Hyper-Threading Technology

Intel® Celeron® Processor Family 3.20 GHz

sSpec Number: SL7NY
CPU Speed: 3.20 GHz
PCG:
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 24
L2 Cache Size: 256 KB
L2 Cache Speed: 3.2 GHz

Package Type: 478 pin
Manufacturing Technology: 90 nm
Core Stepping: E0
CPUID String: 0F41h
Thermal Design Power: 73W
Thermal Specification: 67°C
VID Voltage Range: 1.25V-1.4V

Thanks to all who read this.

The celeron is just a crippled Pentium 4 with less cache, Hyperthreading does make a difference even if it not noticeable.

if you want to oc then you're good both ways, i learned to overclock with the same celeron and i got it to 4GHz water cooled then the mobo died ;-(

for everyday use keep the P4,

or go out and buy a real CPU.

AMD FTW! lol jk jk im so ready for the flaming :p

GameJunkie72792 said:
The celeron is just a crippled Pentium 4 with less cache, Hyperthreading does make a difference even if it not noticeable.

if you want to oc then you're good both ways, i learned to overclock with the same celeron and i got it to 4GHz water cooled then the mobo died ;-(

for everyday use keep the P4,

or go out and buy a real CPU.

AMD FTW! lol jk jk im so ready for the flaming :p

So if I'm running only run program (a game), the Pentium 4 3.06 HT will run it better than the 3.2 Celeron? I thought Hyper-Threading excelled in multi-tasking. The Pentium 4 has a larger cache which helps but the HT ability helps even in single applications running at once?

yes HT was introduced for multitasking, but what i meant was you really shouldnt see a difference in 140MHz clock speed (or whatever the difference is its a bit late for math :p) more cache does help of course, the P4 is just all around better.

but mind the fact that your mobo has to support Hyperthreading for it to work, it should be a BIOS setting if you mobo supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back