P4 3GHz runs slow and @74C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
I have an Acer Aspire 1622 and I read in this forum that notebooks use to have overheating problems. SpeedFan or PC Wizard read 74°C from ACPI and this temperature builds up very quickly after start up. I thought it was my motherboard gone, as that readout seemed completely wrong. Then I tried to do a benchmark with FreshDiagnose and I realized that in comparison with a measure made one year ago the performance is 1/3!!! I got used to running slow! It performs like a 850MHz processor instead of 3Ghz! This makes me think about P4 self-protection function and I fear that 74C is the real temperature. I tried to vacum clean the fan intake as suggested in another thread but helped just a little bit. What happend to my CPU? If anybody can help me it would be appreciated! Thanx...

PS: forgot to say that obviously if I try to use the CPU under heavy conditions (AV scan...) the PC shuts down... :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You need to open the laptop and clean out all the dust bunnies.

If you are not comfortable in doing this, take it in for a service.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ok, thank you. I tried opening my Acer, as you suggested. It took a little bit to understand what could be removed and what could not. I succeded removing the plastic cover with power buttons, under which there is the fan and heatsink. To better unscrew the heatsink metal cover I would need to remove the keyboard. Well, on the right the keyboard is rather loose and flexible, while on the left it seems it is kept against the case by something (I guess there should be a connector somewhere too!). Does anybody know how this is assembled? Are there hidden screws? Is there any web site with pictures or schematics? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back