Pablo Escobar's brother launches a $349 folding phone

midian182

TechSpot Editor
Staff member

Roberto Escobar, who already released a flamethrower this year inspired by Elon Musk’s Not a Flamethrower, has now turned his attention to the folding smartphone market.

The Escobar Fold 1 uses an out-folding design that turns the single 7.8-inch AMOLED FHD+ screen into a smartphone. It uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, Android 9, an Octa-core 2.8GHz Snapdragon 855, 6/8GB LPDDR4X, and 16-megapixel & 20-megapixel cameras. It also holds two SIM cards, has free shipping, and is unlocked to work on “all networks in USA & Worldwide.”

While Samsung’s Galaxy Fold was delayed for months due to its technical issues, Escobar says his device is much more durable. “My phone cannot break, because I did not have to make a glass screen like Samsung,” he said. “Our screen is made of a special type of plastic, and we still have the best resolution. Our special plastic is very difficult to break.”

Escobar also lauded the phone’s security features, saying that it is extremely secure, unlike Samsung and Apple devices that are "100% open to all governments in the world."

It seems Escobar has his sights set on beating Apple rather than Samsung—he plans to file a class-action lawsuit against Cupertino next year. “They are cheating the people and selling worthless phones to consumers, overpriced. My lawyers have been ready for long time, but before I sue them and give money back to the people which they deserve, I wanted to show them that my product is much better. On January 6 of next year, 2020, the $30 billion class-action lawsuit will be filed in the courts of California of America. We want Apple to give some of their illegal profits back to the people. I will make sure of it. I have spent almost $1 million just on lawyers to begin this lawsuit,” he told Digital Trends.

If this all seems very strange, that's because it is. Between the bizarre ad filled with women in lingerie, the image of Pablo being used as a background, and the whole Apple thing, it does appear quite shady. But, as Gizmodo notes, the most telling aspect is that the phone is obviously a rebranded Royole FlexPai that even uses the same marketing graphics and specs.

The Escobar Fold 1 will get an initial run of 100,000 units. If, for some reason, you want one, it will be available with 128GB for $349, and a 512GB variant will cost $499. The phone can be ordered direct from Escobar’s website.

Permalink to story.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Is the screen glass, sorry, I mean "plastic", rugged enough to be able to chop up his brothers coke on it?

If so, does it come with a spoon or a straw?

Or do you save enough money by not buying Apple products, you just roll up a hundred dollar bill and use that?

Reactions: yRaz and Adi6293

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
I can't help but think US customs will have a ball tearing those shipping containers apart.

Unless of course, the phone shipments are just a diversion.. 😏

magdziam

TS Rookie
Escobar is a person responsible for the death of many innocent lives. I'm surprised anyone would like to buy his brother product.

quadibloc

TS Addict
I take it, then, he has not been linked to any of his brother's illegal activities, and he has enough money to start a smartphone company through honest work? Otherwise, yes, I would suspect it would be very difficult to obtain these phones in the United States... or even in (much of) Mexico, for that matter.

Areas of Mexico under the control of his brother's cartel, of course, would be a different story.

VariableSpike

TS Rookie
I take it, then, he has not been linked to any of his brother's illegal activities, and he has enough money to start a smartphone company through honest work? Otherwise, yes, I would suspect it would be very difficult to obtain these phones in the United States... or even in (much of) Mexico, for that matter.

Areas of Mexico under the control of his brother's cartel, of course, would be a different story.
But Escobar was Colombian, and his cartel was/is the Medelin cartel, which is named after his birthplace in Colombia, right...?

koblongata

TS Addict
I actually want one because it has great innovative hardware, relatively cheap, and runs vanilla open source Android.

Very interesting. But I would still wait for reviews of actual unit to come up first though... High hopes, I really looking forward and hoping it's a real deal.

Reactions: Kerodon

tesla1776

TS Rookie
I had a dissociative episode reading that.

This makes John DeLorean look as natural as Paula Deen selling butter.
remember Paula Deen? She liked butter.....mmmmm….butter.

ZedRM

TS Enthusiast
That website is hilarious! Don't visit it without a javascript blocker, it is funny. Warning, the link in the article above is very NSFW...

treetops

TS Evangelist
A $1319 phone for $349? If real what a deal. I had to rewatch the video a few times before I saw a phone in it. Looks like the site started slowing down right now, ^^. If I had money to burn oh man this phones gonna crash the internet. Prank or not.

Ooh more vids https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42zG9XD1TRNcz0TIvjpvDg

lol must resist urge not to be scammed

YT channel
"
Details

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD] For business inquiries: [/TD]

[TD]

info@escobarinc.com[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Location: [/TD]
[TD] United States[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
"
hmm idk much about YT but hmmm

Last edited:

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
that's not fair though. If your parents comited mass murder, would we blame you?
I think that depends... how did you benefit from your parents' mass murder? Are you capitalizing on that benefit? I haven't put forward enough thought on this particular situation but I don't think you can make the generalization you've made either.

Reactions: treetops

Danny101

TS Guru
I think that depends... how did you benefit from your parents' mass murder? Are you capitalizing on that benefit? I haven't put forward enough thought on this particular situation but I don't think you can make the generalization you've made either.
Roberto was Pablo's accountant, ergo guilty by association and facilitation.

Latest posts