Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on Dell Latitude D610 running XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

username123

Hello,

I'm trying to fix my sisters Dell Latitude D610 laptop, which blue screened more than a week, but less than a two weeks ago. It seems like anything could generate this error message.

The original phone call/complaint was that she lost her wireless connection. I checked the device manager, there where two exclamations under pcmcia adapters and no wireless card was listed under network adapters. I then uninstalled the exclamations and scanned for hardware changes, it found the wireless card (no exclamations) and I clicked to reboot.

It booted perfectly, I entered the encryption key for the wireless and the laptop froze while I was waiting for the confirmation. I rebooted and got the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error.

I called my sister back, figuring I didn't get the whole story...

The first sign of a problem was the laptop freezing during bootup, while the animated windows progress bar was showing. She said this happened 4-5 times before she called yesterday, when she lost the wireless connection and had to use the desktop computer.

I then tried a system restore and rolled back to July 1st, and still got the blue screen.

Thanks in advance.

Your error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

The only thing it cited was a Windows OS driver and normally they are too general to be of much help. However, in the Process_Name of the minidump it listed the executible Evteng.exe and this is what I found through research:

Evtng.exe is a process belonging to EvtEng Module which offers additional support to your Intel wireless LAN hardware. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

It seems you are still having issues with the wireless card. I suggest one of two things: 1) Go to Dell's website and find her particular model. Update all drivers. 2) If the updates don't work your could be looking at a defective card.

Thanks for the reply,

I thought it was the wireless card too, after it repeatedly disappeared from the hardware manager, and was intermittently detected by the hardware scan after rebooting from the blue screens to safe mode. But I physically removed it, rebooted, and still got the page_fault error, so I posted my problem here.

I figured the drivers where OK, because the first time I uninstalled the exclamations and did a new hardware scan, everything worked fine. Until the laptop froze while it was acquiring a net address.

I'll try the site tomorrow, hopefully it works. Thanks again.

Monday Monday...can't trust that day =]

OK,

I managed to download and install the INTEL PRO 2200BG WIRELESS G CARD (Dell P/N 0C9063) drivers before the laptop froze.

But the laptop still freezes, I'm stumped, everything works perfectly until the laptop freezes.

It seems I posted too early...

I rebooted a second time and got three notices of recovery from a serious error, the wireless card is MIA in the hardware manager but the laptop hasn't froze in over an hour, so I guess it was the card after all.

If it is the card no amount of updated drivers will help. It looks like a new card is in order. Keep us up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back