Partition trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathstar17

So, I have a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and I've got some partition problems. The problems stemmed from when I went to install Ubuntu. My macbook, like so many others, has a defective superdrive that works about 3% of the time. I got like halfway through the installation and then it failed. So now I am left with a 15 GB partition that I made for Ubuntu (it is unformatted), a swap partition (unformatted), and another small partition (unformatted) that I do not know the reason for its existence. I guess that the partitions could be ExFS4 and that's why they aren't showing up, but I don't know.
Point of the story: How can I "delete" these partitions so I can merge them together and try the installation again. I've tried Paragon HD Pro, EASEUS something or another, and OSX Disk Utility.

Thanks!

Have you tried going to a Macintosh support site where they know a lot about that particular model?
I don't see how you can repair that one when it requires a software install, and your drive for installing doesn't work, so that replacement would be the order of the day, in my book.

Well my computer being a mac doesn't have much to do with the situation other than it allows me to use a mac only program to solve the problem if necessary.
And there are other ways of installing, primarily USB, so I will worry about getting the superdrive fixed later.

So I've tried booting into Ubuntu and GParted via a USB drive using Unetbootin, but to no avail. I am using refit and I have my drive formatted correctly, is there anything I can do?

the swap part. is never formatted, so ignore it
the others can be formated EXT2

once formatted, you should be able to install Ubuntu
put the root into the largest part.
/home (for the users) in the next larges and /tmp &/or /var anywhere else.

Well I wound up installing Ubuntu using free space from the Windows partition (it was really my only option), and then Windows being the worthless and poorly designed operation system that it is wouldn't boot afterwards. So I backed up my Windows data and used gparted to reformat the windows partition (and I also reformatted the 16 gb partition from the from failed ubuntu install).
But now I have even more problems than before.
1) I can't reinstall windows because it my drive is GPT.
2) Disk utility won't do anything with the 16gb empty partition because when I try to merge it with another partition it says the it doesn't exist.
3) I have been using rEFIt, but after I installed ubuntu, I had to choose the Windows side and the GNU GRUB boot loader would pop up and let me boot into Ubuntu. And the GRUB loader also would fail when I tried to boot into OSX from it.

So now that I've royally effed over my computer, what should I do?
Eventually, I think I'll need to do a clean install of the ENTIRE thing, but for now I'm just using OSX and VMware Fusion to run XP when I need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back