Password people in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

haufsnaggle

I recently locked my keyboard by using the Windows button + L. ***CAUTION***
Before you do this read on.
I then seen a window pop-up that read 'system is locked' please enter username and password' and gave me two text fields to enter my information.
I tried password after password and still produced no results.
At this point, I was thinking "oh crap" I'm locked out of my own CPU.
So, I forced a shutdown by holding the power button on my tower.
The computer restarted normally, and I then Clicked Start> Control Panel>User Accounts
There is shows my two accounts. I have an Administrator account which reads "Password protected". I Clicked Admininstrator> Change my password
I am then asked for my current password. (I didn't know I even set one up)
I tried multiple passwords and even read the help menu. The help menu told me to use the password hint feature, When I click Password hint, nothing happens.
Then I came straight to the people who I know will help me.
The friendly folks at the TechSpot forums.

I recently locked my keyboard by using the Windows button + L.

I lock my workstation like this many times. It's faster than CTRL+ALT+DEL - LOCK

The help menu told me to use the password hint feature, When I click Password hint, nothing happens.

Password hint will only be available if you set one up when creating accounts.

Somebody is playing with your system. Is this PC located at home or work?
Who else uses it? Do you periodically check for viruses?

I'm 95% sure no-one is messing around with my system. Though, like i mentioned before,
I have an Administrator account which reads "Password protected".
I forgot what my password is, and there is no "hint" so
...What now?

try google for Passware-Windows-Key-Enterprise-Edition

Passware Windows Key Enterprise Edition v9.0 Build 319 | 5.5mb
Windows Key is an easy-to-use tool to gain access into any Windows system if a login password is lost. The software allows you to reset passwords in a matter of minutes - no need to reinstall the system.

That is an excellent way to pick up a virus or something else bad.

There probably isn't a password, just leave it blank.

think its pretty obvious a blank password is not the problem, am sure he wud have not needed the hint question if it had been blank..

Windows Password Unlocker 4.0
can safely and easily reset Windows login passwords in a matter of minutes in case the administrator's password or a user password is forgotten or lost. You need not to re-install and re-configure the operating system. Enhanced with intuitive Windows Graphical User Interface, Windows Password Unlocker 4.0 is much easier to use than ever. All you need is to boot from Windows Password Unlocker 4.0 CD/DVD, and select the account you wish to reset. Just in a few seconds, the password will be automatically set as blank. Then you can log in with blank password.

Supported Windows Versions: Supports all Windows editions, including Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server, Windows Vista and Windows 2008 Server, etc.

Learn More Download 22.1 MB Buy Now $29.95

http://www.passwordunlocker.com/

buy legit copy as above if picking up a virus is a concern , scan for virus's can be done once ur back in windows, better than being locked out of ur system and loseing access to info or docs u may need. re-installing windows isnt always the best answer to problems..

Anyone think this would work for my situation?
http://download.cnet.com/Passware-Encryption-Analyzer/3000-2092_4-10772511.html?tag=rtcol;txt
Let me remind you, I am not locked out of anything really.
When I go to User accounts, the Administrator account is "password protected"
When I click "change my password" there are 3 text boxes.
Believe me, I have read the help topics on all of this.
BASICALLY I will need to do is, turn on the Welcome screen during start-up.
But I am weary of doing that because if I can't get a password hint from the "password hint" above the 3rd text box from my Administrator account page, "I may not be able to from the Welcome screen"
So in turn, by turning the Welcome screen on, I would be making the problem worse by locking myself out of my system. "D'OH" - Homer J. Simpson
HomerDoh.gif

Did you actually try leaving it blank? If you didn't set up a password then there isn't one set, it is that simple, windows just doesn't come with some default password enabled. The fact that there isn't even a hint question also leads me to believe there isn't one set up.

Did you actually try leaving it blank?

Thanks for this...
Trying to get information from people is like pulling teeth sometimes.

@haufsnaggle; Whether you set up a password ot not, the system will always ask you for one. Even if there isn't one, it will ask you.
Put it this way, YO(U know there is no password, but someone trying to break into it doesn't, that's why the system always asks. It seems that you accidentally changed the Windows startup from "show Welcome screen" to not "show welcome screen", and that is what you are trying to undo... Correct???

The answer to your hypothesis is no.
I attempted to leave the current password field blank filled out the rest and still, "The password you typed is incorrect. Please retype your current password."
So clearly I set up a password and forgot it. I just cant see any password hint. Any suggestions?

No, like I mentioned before, the only way you get a password hint is if you put one in when setting up the account. My only suggestion to you would be (since you say you're not really locked out of anything) to backup any files on your computer and re-install the O/S.

indeed strat, I wasn't trying to be a douche, I was just tryign to FORCE an answer out of the dude, because the obvious answer is he didn't set up a password. I tried to make him say he left it blank but that didn't work.

So hooray, now he didn't leave it blank and he set it up, BRILLIANT. I'm out, this is too f'ing stupid for me to continue with.

He also had a brilliant topic. Apparently none of the noobz read my guide to making a good post, or ANY of the guides outlined in the intro forum.

The answer to your hypothesis is no.
I attempted to leave the current password field blank filled out the rest and still, "The password you typed is incorrect. Please retype your current password."
So clearly I set up a password and forgot it. I just cant see any password hint. Any suggestions?

simply create a new account with admin rights and delete the old account , how hard can it be.

Anyone think this would work for my situation?
http://download.cnet.com/Passware-Encryption-Analyzer/3000-2092_4-10772511.html?tag=rtcol;txt
Let me remind you, I am not locked out of anything really.
When I go to User accounts, the Administrator account is "password protected"
When I click "change my password" there are 3 text boxes.
Believe me, I have read the help topics on all of this.
BASICALLY I will need to do is, turn on the Welcome screen during start-up.
But I am weary of doing that because if I can't get a password hint from the "password hint" above the 3rd text box from my Administrator account page, "I may not be able to from the Welcome screen"
So in turn, by turning the Welcome screen on, I would be making the problem worse by locking myself out of my system. "D'OH" - Homer J. Simpson
HomerDoh.gif

http://download.cnet.com/Passware-Kit-Enterprise/3000-2653_4-10235518.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back