PC build

Dat1Gamer

Alright guys I need help my laptop got the FBI virus -.- & im gonna get $1300 this year so I need help picking good parts for my 1K budget

What will you be using this PC for? (gaming, workstation, specific programs)

Will you need a monitor, peripherals and an OS? (I assume yes)

And to clarify, you are spending $1000 on this system, correct?

What will you be using this PC for? (gaming, workstation, specific programs)

Will you need a monitor, peripherals and an OS? (I assume yes)

And to clarify, you are spending $1000 on this system, correct?

Also, will it be a laptop?

Since he said parts, I'm assuming he's speaking about a PC.

Since the title is "PC build", I assume he is building a PC and don't have anything that can be reused from the previous laptop.

sorry-if-im-wrong-shams.jpg

Please answer my first questions, then we can get started suggesting components for you.
What will you be using this PC for? (gaming, workstation, specific programs) Gaming, Video editing,

Will you need a monitor, peripherals and an OS? Win 7 home

And to clarify, you are spending $1000 on this system, correct? Yes​

My Suggestions:

CPU: i5-3570K ($219.99) About the best Mid-High Range CPU out there, and I think is the right pick for you. Alternately, you could downgrade to an i3-3240 if you want to focus more on GPU power, but you run the risk of bottle-necking some games. I don't really see any point going for Haswell at this price point.
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ($134.99) A solid budget Z77 that has all the features you'll likely need, and comes with free memory!
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB (FREE!) This comes bundled with the motherboard, and is good quality.
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($32.99) A great little cooler for the cash, and should allow some decent overclocking.
GPU: HIS 7870 2GB ($199.99) A nicely priced 7870 (no need to go for the more expensive models), comes with Crisis 3 (Yay!) and is a great GPU overall. If you want to take advantage of CUDA, then the Nvidia alternative is a GTX 660. You can always downgrade the CPU (as above) and get a more powerful GPU, but again, you risk bottle-necking.
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 1GB ($94.99) I don't think you could squeeze an SSD into this budget, so I've recommended a high-performance HDD.
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650 V2 ($89.99) More than enough juice to feed the system, modular and 80 Plus Bronze.
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R (89.99) This is largely up to you, choose one you like the look of. I personally like that one, but might not, so feel free to change it.
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($19.99) Just get the cheapest one :p

Total Price: $982.91

Of course, these are just my suggestions, there a many many similarly priced components out there to choose from, so go ahead and explore all the PC guides out there to fine-tune your picks.

Newegg Screenshot.jpg

That's an option, however it still only leaves him $50 for an SSD, which isn't really enough.

Personally, I think that trying to squeeze an SSD into an $1000 budget isn't the best thing to do. They are super-easy to install later down the track when you have the money, and you have to sacrifice other components which are expensive/difficult to upgrade/replace down the track.

Lol 40Gb. The OS will take 20GB of that. A game like BF3 will take up 12GB. Adobe programs take up about 1-3GB each depending on which you use. Watch out my friend! I find that I need at least 180GB of SSD space nowadays. 120GB is not enough for me. Make sure you send all your large files (lesser used programs and games) to the HDD and more used programs/OS to the SSD. I think he should get a Corsair 200R instead and put the money he saved from the PSU+case downgrade toward a 7950 or 660Ti, or a XFX 7870 (HIS has not given me good experiences in the past, plus XFX has a lifetime warranty).

Lol 40Gb. The OS will take 20GB of that. A game like BF3 will take up 12GB.
12GB of which could be installed to an HDD. My OS partition is currently only using 30GB. Makes for easier recovery when the OS recovery image is smaller, not to mention storage of the image. There might be a slight advantage to installing a game to SSD, but in the long run is it really worth it? I would consider installing games to an SSD, but only if I had a second partition or SSD to keep my OS independent.

Now at your price point since you said you were doing a 1k build (Im curious if you mean you only wanted to spend the 1k or were inferring you had 1300 and you wanted to spend that much)

This is my 1k build, Its over by 70 bucks but you can change to a cheaper case if needed and motherboard as well (I kinda picked the MSI gamer board because its just such a nice board IMHO for the money) The motherboard has an additional 10 Dollars off at checkout till the 30th as well.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
Motherboard: MSI Z87 Gaming LGA 1150
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost
PSU: Corsair CX750 (Haswell Ready)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
HDD: Western Digital Black 500Gb 7200RPM
DVD Drive: Asus DVD-RW Drive

With all this bundled on Newegg.com you are getting a total of 5 Games free.

If you want to go higher as in closer to 1300, swap the I5 for the I7 4770k and throw in a bigger SSD (Since you already had one, I was gonna assume you would use it just as an OS drive)

GhostRyder, Can you detail the links next time, so we third party viewers don't have to click each link? This would make it a little easier for us to agree or disagree with you. lol Just a friendly suggestion, not intended to be insulting.

I did already, I had forgotten to then added it, you must have just not seen before I did. Sorry. Ill make sure to remember to do that first from now on.

12GB of which could be installed to an HDD. My OS partition is currently only using 30GB. Makes for easier recovery when the OS recovery image is smaller, not to mention storage of the image. There might be a slight advantage to installing a game to SSD, but in the long run is it really worth it? I would consider installing games to an SSD, but only if I had a second partition or SSD to keep my OS independent.

Well, most people like to put games on the SSD for fast loading speeds.

Now at your price point since you said you were doing a 1k build (Im curious if you mean you only wanted to spend the 1k or were inferring you had 1300 and you wanted to spend that much)

This is my 1k build, Its over by 70 bucks but you can change to a cheaper case if needed and motherboard as well (I kinda picked the MSI gamer board because its just such a nice board IMHO for the money) The motherboard has an additional 10 Dollars off at checkout till the 30th as well.

If you want to go higher as in closer to 1300, swap the I5 for the I7 4770k and throw in a bigger SSD (Since you already had one, I was gonna assume you would use it just as an OS drive)

Dang, how did you find a 7970 for $300? I mainly see them for $400 xD. That is a good deal even though I hate Sapphire. I think you can cut back on the GPU and make it a 7950 and put the savings toward a 1TB HDD.

Dang, how did you find a 7970 for $300? I mainly see them for $400 xD. That is a good deal even though I hate Sapphire. I think you can cut back on the GPU and make it a 7950 and put the savings toward a 1TB HDD.

Magic

Went on newegg and saw a daily sale deal on it thats a direct non-rebate discount (Well theres also a rebate, but its 80 off period). Its actually a steal of a deal and honetly I am considering buying some now because I can get 4 of those for ~1300 and make 4 way CFX with liquid blocks on them.

I was considering it for fun, but I re-read that these non-reference boards will not fit any block except those seperate block with heatsinks for the Vram ones. Still an excellent card for air cooling though.

Wow, that's a beastly system for 1K. If you downgraded to Ivy Bridge, got a less flash case, smaller PSU and maybe a slightly less powerful GPU, you could probably get a sizable SSD.

11-147-081-13.jpg

Rosewill R519-BK Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 500W Power Supply
Item #: N82E16811147081
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$69.99
22-236-339-03.jpg

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822236339
Recover Your Data(expand for options) -$10.00 Instant
$74.99
$64.99
24-160-078-02.jpg

AOC e2251Swdn Piano-black Glossy Bezel 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
Item #: N82E16824160078
Return Policy: Monitor Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options) -$40.00 Instant
$149.99
$109.99
13-130-680-02.jpg

MSI FM2-A85XMA-E35 FM2 Trinity AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130680
$79.99
26-153-061-12.jpg

RAZER Abyssus Mirror Special Edition Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Mouse
Item #: N82E16826153061
Protect Your Investment (expand for options) -$10.00 Instant
$49.99
$39.99
20-231-277-05.jpg

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231277
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$42.99
19-113-283-04.jpg

AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon ...
Item #: N82E16819113283
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

New stuff only $468 with shipping

Back