PC damaged in long car ride?

aznn3rd

Hey guys,

I'm moving across the country and I was planning on taking my desktop PC with me in my car. Since I threw away the box a long time ago, I won't have any support for the computer itself. Do you think it will get damaged in the ride over?

Thanks

Why not wrap it in bubble wrap or something similar and try to avoid it? There are no guarantees but you can take a few precautions. Once at the new destination check it over and make sure all the cables are tight and no components have come loose.

If the system is a prebuilt then you should be OK if you take a few precautions:
1. Try to insulate the system against shock and vibration - use bedding linen/clothing or similar to wrap it and minimize momentum.
2. Remove the side panel before transporting and carefully remove the graphics (video) card, and memory modules if possible (You will need anti-static bags for these parts. Available at most electronics outlets. Remember to ground yourself to dissipate any static electricity you may be carrying).
If you don't feel comfortable with partially disassembling the system, you can loosely fill some plastic bags with packing peanuts or similar, and then gently place these bags inside the computer. If you only partially fill the bags, you will be able to gently work them in between the system components- DON'T FORCE packing around the components. Replace the case side panel.
When transporting the computer, make sure that the motherboard is lying flat and facing up. For a tower system this usually means that you'll be lying the computer on it's right-hand side.
3. Always keep in mind when driving that you are transporting the computer- try to keep all the wheels on the ground...
general-lee-1.jpg

I've always transported mine just laying on the side like DBZ said at the end of #2. Of course that was before video cards weighed a few pounds. So, if you've got a heavy vid card I'd take it out. Everything else is probably fine.

If you absolutely can't transport your PC laying on its side. Then take off the CPU heatsink.

I was just about to say the same thing as SNGX. If you have a large tower type heatsink. i would remove it prior to transport and spring for a tube of thermal compound at your destination. At the very least remove the fans. 1200g even with the machine on its side is a lot of cantilevered weight to be rocking about if you hit a bone jarring pothole along the way.

Back